2021 Draft Review: Grades, Rage, Praise

DreamKid

Ravens 2021 Draft Grade  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's your early grade for our 2021 haul?

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

The TY Hilton one is particularly disingenuous because we kept hearing about how "he turned down more money" when in reality it was a significantly lower AAV than what he got for one-year to remain where he was.

The whole narrative is dumb - we could have probably easily convinced any of the guys to whom we were linked to come to Baltimore by overpaying, but that would be stupid.

Not to mention this year was unique in that due to COVID, most FA's were taking 1-year deals because teams didn't have the money to hand out bigger FA deals. So, they took 1-year deals worth less to hit FA again next year. And somehow that's the Ravens' fault. /shrug

@coordinator0 Definitely a theme.

Ravens Twitter hashtag | Twuko

Throwback to the 2017 Class-

Rating the Athleticism of the 2017 Draft Class

^^^Note that the best athletes of the bunch are still in the league. Marlon, Tyus, and Chucky are on their 2nd contracts with us. While Wormley is JAG-ing around the Steelers DI rotation somewhere. Sucks that Nico Siragusa had that horrific knee injury too, we all had high hopes for him. 

Never going to be a perfect determiner, but athleticism tends to matter in athletic competitions(Sports).

43 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Prisco is a Raven hater, always has been. He was the only analyst on the planet that hated the Bateman pick, he rather us take Elijah Moore or is pretty much Marquise Brown. If he actually would have done his homework he would have realized that Bateman is much better suited for what the Ravens need which is an outside receiver with elite route running and separation. I love Moore as a prospect as well but Bateman has a much higher upside within this offense.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 6:15 AM, DreamKid said:

Attacking the Ravens for drafting Rashod Bateman... is like a woman making fun of you for having a big d*ck. In no universe will the criticism actually land/sting. 😂

I mean, what if Rashod Bateman is too narrow?

Edited by NudeTayne

Some interesting draft tidbits in Jeff Zrebiec's latest:
https://theathletic.com/2573901/?redirected=1

• Contrary to reports (which definitely just had the looks of the Raiders doing damage control around an unpopular pick), Alex Leatherwood was not a 1st round target for us. Neither was Teven Jenkins. Darrisaw is the guy we were watching and likely would have taken had he kept falling to 27.
  • They were genuinely surprised to see Bateman fall to 27. They had Oweh and Rousseau graded pretty equally so once Bateman became available they took him and hoped that at least one of the EDGE guys would fall to 31, which obviously did work out. Reading between the lines, after going Bateman at 27, if Rousseau and Oweh had both been taken in between our picks then it sounds like Trevon Moehrig would have been the pick at 31.
  • This one will make @DreamKid happy (or sad, maybe). Given that they didn't think Bateman was in play for them, it was actually Elijah Moore that the FO went into the draft targeting at either 27 or 31. If Bateman doesn't drop it seems likely that our picks would have been either Rousseau or Oweh at 27 and then Moore at 31. 
Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 5

41 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

This one will make @DreamKid happy (or sad, maybe). Given that they didn't think Bateman was in play for them, it was actually Elijah Moore that the FO went into the draft targeting at either 27 or 31. If Bateman doesn't drop it seems likely that our picks would have been either Rousseau or Oweh at 27 and then Moore at 31. 

Makes sense. EDC said the analytics department was tasked with identifying the top WR prospects and Bateman/Moore both had unimpeachable profiles to go with their stellar tape which I'm sure the scouts loved.

Rashod had the extensive outside pedigree with more height and length on Elijah, while Moore had the SEC dominance and stronger in house competition(Metcalf,Brown,Lodge). I thought Bateman was the better immediate fit for our offense and had him as the preferred option, but Moore would've been an amazing consolation prize. Happy to see the FO was thinking the same.

Bateman really is a Top 10-20 receiver who just kind of fell into our laps. 4 Star recruit who turned down late offers from bigger schools, staying with Minnesota. Shoddy QB play throughout his tenure. Wasn't eligible to declare after monster 2019 season. COVID hits the process and him personally. 4 Bigger name receivers(Pitts,Chase,Waddle,Smith) enter the draft with him, after a couple consecutive years of strong WR classes enriched positions rooms around the league. If just one of those things doesn't happen, we likely have no shot at him.

Also, shout out to the Giants and Gettleman for rolling with Kardarius Toney....

Seems like it could've easily been Moore & Rousseau instead of Bateman & Oweh. Always interesting how the board falls and fates change. I think Rousseau would've had a better shot at development with us vs the Bills. Oweh should consider himself lucky, we were probably his best shot at reaching his ceiling league wide.

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Contrary to reports (which definitely just had the looks of the Raiders doing damage control around an unpopular pick), Alex Leatherwood was not a 1st round target for us. Neither was Teven Jenkins.

The Leatherwood BS reminded me of the 'Packers had to jump the Ravens to get Darnell Savage'  talking point. Just never made any sense. Yea, Zrebiec said we didn't really like Jenkins a couple times now. Had to be some glaring tape, medical, or character issue the FO had. 

• Like 4

Ravens should've went Rex Grossman deep and drafted Bateman and Moore at 27 & 31 respectively. 😆

But semi joking aside, the Oweh pick gotta grow on me. His tape was cool, but I don't know if it was 1st round cool to me. He's a Raven no doubt and he'll have my full support.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Makes sense. EDC said the analytics department was tasked with identifying the top WR prospects and Bateman/Moore both had unimpeachable profiles to go with their stellar tape which I'm sure the scouts loved.

Rashod had the extensive outside pedigree with more height and length on Elijah, while Moore had the SEC dominance and stronger in house competition(Metcalf,Brown,Lodge). I thought Bateman was the better immediate fit for our offense and had him as the preferred option, but Moore would've been an amazing consolation prize. Happy to see the FO was thinking the same.

Bateman really is a Top 10-20 receiver who just kind of fell into our laps. 4 Star recruit who turned down late offers from bigger schools, staying with Minnesota. Shoddy QB play throughout his tenure. Wasn't eligible to declare after monster 2019 season. COVID hits the process and him personally. 4 Bigger name receivers(Pitts,Chase,Waddle,Smith) enter the draft with him, after a couple consecutive years of strong WR classes enriched positions rooms around the league. If just one of those things doesn't happen, we likely have no shot at him.

Also, shout out to the Giants and Gettleman for rolling with Kardarius Toney....

Seems like it could've easily been Moore & Rousseau instead of Bateman & Oweh. Always interesting how the board falls and fates change. I think Rousseau would've had a better shot at development with us vs the Bills. Oweh should consider himself lucky, we were probably his best shot at reaching his ceiling league wide.

The Leatherwood BS reminded me of the 'Packers had to jump the Ravens to get Darnell Savage'  talking point. Just never made any sense. Yea, Zrebiec said we didn't really like Jenkins a couple times now. Had to be some glaring tape, medical, or character issue the FO had. 

Short arms. Our FO are huge arm length sticklers when it comes to drafting legit tackle prospects. 

EDIT - to be clear, by "legit tackle prospects," I mean guys who are expected to stick at OT in the NFL

Edited by sp6488
  • Like 2