2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

7 minutes ago, xrade said:

NE's OL is better than ours.  Put Mac behind our OL (which has been playing better but not at a NE level, yet) and LePew's play calling and the team is 0-5.

I don't know about that. Jones throws a better ball and makes the reads. Wilson struggles big time on reads. That has nothing to do with O line. 

Mac Jones was always going to look better than Zach Wilson. Any QB the Patriots took was going to look better than any QB the Jets took.

The Jets coaching staff has next to no experience. They are learning how to implement gameplans and call games. They are trying to teach a brand new scheme to an entire team while they are learning it on the fly. New England had the best head coach ever along with an OC that is very comfortable with his play calling schemes and game plans. The team is full of veterans that understand stand the wrinkles of the offense and can help Mac out because they also know and have experience in the offensive system. 

We might have more talented players, but the experience factor and knowledge of the system isn't close. We are essentially the blind leading the blind while the Patriots are far from blind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xrade said:

NE's OL is better than ours.  Put Mac behind our OL (which has been playing better but not at a NE level, yet) and LePew's play calling and the team is 0-5.

I also saw that about the Pats O line, how the hell does that guy keep building a strong  line? Year after year it never changes the players chance but not talent he has on the O line never changes. He has done this for twenty years.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't know about that. Jones throws a better ball and makes the reads. Wilson struggles big time on reads. That has nothing to do with O line. 

In the NE games I saw (they are on a lot in my region for some odd reason), Mac seems to have a lot of time. I credit the play calling fitting the system to his strengths. Put him in our effed up system and he would look just as bad. Perhaps it is more on the play calling but there is no denying NE’s good OL. BB puts a premium on that unit. As all teams should.

Jones is an excellent game managing QB. I said this predraft. I would just rather have a field stretcher that I believe Zach will be. LePew needs to take a long look at his concepts vs Zach’s strengths/weaknesses. That includes OL blocking assignments. 

2 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I also saw that about the Pats O line, how the hell does that guy keep building a strong  line? Year after year it never changes the players chance but not talent he has on the O line never changes. He has done this for twenty years.

NE has had one of the best OL coaches in the NFL for a long time. Couple that with BB’s eye for day 3 OL talent and it leads to OL envy. Funny thing is the individual players don’t fare as well when they leave. It’s also the system. Short quick horizontal routes getting the ball out quick minimizes sacks and pressure. 

11 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

“He’s not ready to play” 

Only way to get ready is to play. He’s a rookie, he’s gonna make mistakes. The problem is y’all set expectations way too high(like y’all do with everyone who comes here)

Throw him in at the get go to get all snaps?  He has a lot of talent, but little experience going against top talent in college, let alone the talent at NFL level.   I am only repeating what others have said and is obvious, but having a veteran QB come in to have taken most snaps, but have allowed Wilson to enter game at lower pressure situations and guage his progress.  Then as he show better readiness, give him more time. This approach also would also to time to assess the assets around him (esp OL QB protection). 

I don't think we should draft a QB for at least several drafts.  Time to build an infrastructure first.  I think that was the rationale for some people who strongly wanted to trade the #2 pick.  Last year, SF set the standard by trading up for 3 #1's.  I don't think any of us should be revisiting that drafts history pointing out "I told you so."  Just not healthy for the group.  

I am not sure if there any team willing to overpay to get into the top few picks.  That rarity happens when there is a number of potential franchise QBs available. This is not the case this year.   I know that people say our secondary has played better than to be expected or even "fine", but the team has adopted a philosophy that the CBs play behind the WRs.  We don't know if any of our CBs have talent to play in front.  A shutdown CB allows you to take the other teams #1 WR out of the game.

The first round of the 2022 draft is rich in OL and CBs. I think getting a shutdown CB and OL in first round would be good.  I like the idea of drafting the top OT with the idea of dominant bookends that is what the Jets did in early 80's with Chris Ward and Marvin Powell and we had great receiver and RB production without a top QB (Todd).  A new OT could move from RT to LT in the case of Bechton getting injured.

Finally, the Mims situation is unfathomable?  Did he do anything on or off the field during offseason or preseason to allow to him rot on the bench?  Do him a favor and trade or cut him.  They are destroying his career.

Edited by Bronx Born and Raised

2 hours ago, xrade said:

NE has had one of the best OL coaches in the NFL for a long time. Couple that with BB’s eye for day 3 OL talent and it leads to OL envy. Funny thing is the individual players don’t fare as well when they leave. It’s also the system. Short quick horizontal routes getting the ball out quick minimizes sacks and pressure. 

I think you are right, it has to be the system

29 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

Throw him in at the get go to get all snaps?  He has a lot of talent, but little experience going against top talent in college let alone the talent at NFL level.   I am only repeating what others have said and is obvious, but having a veteran QB come in to have taken most snaps, but allow Wilson to come in and guage him in situations to assess his readiness as well as to assess the assets around him (esp OL QB protection) would have been wise.  

The Mims situation is unfathomable?  Did he do anything on or off the field during offseason or preseason to let him rot on the bench?  Do him a favor and trade or cut him.  They are destroying his career.

I mean there's really no guarantee that a vet QB would help him with his struggles, we'd like to think so but at the end of the day its still on him. 

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I mean there's really no guarantee that a vet QB would help him with his struggles, we'd like to think so but at the end of the day its still on him. 

I re-edited my original post to clarify. Vet QB would just take Zach off the field and gradually phase him into games as he progress.  No need to risk physical damage or confidence.

12 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He's throwing 3 yard passes all game. 

All you need is just a little over 3 yards ever play and you will win. That is our point. Make these small throws. I still think the problem is Zach struggles with these small throws and the reading is poor. The ball sails on him a lot too. I just think there is too many bad things to over come on Zach. 

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

All you need is just a little over 3 yards ever play and you will win

NE sits at 2-4.  When was the last time a game manager type QB led his team to a SB victory?  Legit question because I don't know.  The point is that dinkin' and dunkin' is fine as long as you take the deep shots when they present themselves.  Brady excelled at that.  Short passes and runs opens up the intermediate / deep game.  Those are what makes a prolific offense. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, xrade said:

NE sits at 2-4.  When was the last time a game manager type QB led his team to a SB victory?  Legit question because I don't know.  The point is that dinkin' and dunkin' is fine as long as you take the deep shots when they present themselves.  Brady excelled at that.  Short passes and runs opens up the intermediate / deep game.  Those are what makes a prolific offense. 

Peyton Manning with the Denver Broncos a few years ago.

15 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

He's throwing 3 yard passes all game. 

He did have a long deep pass for a TD against Dallas. I see Bart Starr in Jones. As long as Belichick is with the Pats, he will be fine. If he was drafted by any other NFL    team he would not be the same player. But it is the same old story when Belichlick, picks up a FA or draft a player he knows what kind of player he wants. I remember when BB sign with the Jets, the very next morning he left for New England. And there was very little uproar from Jet fans. if something like happen today there would be a riot.