2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

58 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Based on what Ziegler did last off-season signing Nelly and Bourne, I think that Meyers (Pats guy), Kirk, and Gallup are all realistic targets.

I think they didn't go big on wideout because the Pats had to bring in so many guys in free agency. I think we only bring in 4-5 new starters in free agency, maybe less if we bring back a few key guys. 2-3 new starters via free agency and then cheap depth 

Edited by Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I think they didn't go big on wideout because the Pats had to bring in so many guys in free agency. I think we only bring in 4-5 new starters in free agency, maybe less if we bring back a few key guys. 2-3 new starters via free agency and then cheap depth 

They invested $125M into 2 WR/2 TE.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

TLDR: The new staff has zero commitment to Leatherwood

True but it’s looking like they might need 4 new starters on the line. Add that with guys they need on defense, a number one WR, prioritization will need to take place.  They might just keep leatherwood where he is because he’s cheap right now. He might not be the long term guy and kept on a short leash but they might have bigger more pressing matters. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Damn Ruggs.. would of really wished to avoid drafting a WR in the 1st again. But after seeing Kupp, Odell, Chase, Higgins, and Boyd in the Super Bowl, it’s clear WR has become one of the most important positions in the game. Funny, 4-5 years ago it was still the least important position in the entire sport outside of RB-G-K-P. Now it’s QB > EDGE > WR > DT > LT if we are going by team success results of the past few years. 

I wonder which WR fits McDaniels scheme the best. I haven’t dug anything past the Top 3-4 guys yet. 

I don't think WRs are as important as you do just because there's 10+ good ones coming out every single year in a draft. You could draft a good one late 2rd

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I don't think WRs are as important as you do just because there's 10+ good ones coming out every single year in a draft. You could draft a good one late 2rd

Agreed with this but only to an extent. I was hardcore on this train a month or two ago but once I scoured the recent data and heard some differing opinions on here I backed off that stance quite a bit.

The hit rate for 1st round WR’s has been extremely high the past 3-4 years and their impact on the field has been almost instantaneous. With that said, WR talent has also been found in Round 2 and 3 but the hit rate has been much lower.

This draft class is light on blue chip talent and a top WR prospect at #22 (Dotson, Wilson, Olave, Williams, etc.) that can come in and impact the offense right away is a compelling option. 

14 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

Reading from multiple sources from the Senior Bowl on twitter, Travis Jones is doing what I thought he'd do and game-wrecking. He will go in the first round, better player than Jordan Davis 

Unfortunately he’s moved up so far he won’t be there in round 2 for us.  I was the one of if not THE first one on here super him on him.  I got to watch a lot of his games being he’s from UConn and the guys a monster.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

They invested $125M into 2 WR/2 TE.

Some Those deals last year were one of the main reasons I was very skeptical of Ziegler and wanted Dodds.

$125M doesn’t go as far as it use to:

WR Bourne: 3yr, 16.4M.  ‘21: 55c,800y,5td

WR Agholor: 2y, 22M.   ‘22 cap hit- $15M; $10M in dead cap with 5M SB and 5M guaranteed salary).  ‘21: 37c/473y/3td

TE Jonnu Smith: 4yr, 50M with 31M fully guaranteed.  He’ll have cap hits of 13.7M and 14.75M in ‘22 and ‘23.  They can’t release him to save cap space due to the the amount of guaranteed money.  The only “out year” is the last year of the deal ‘24 where they can cut him And save the 12m salary And active game incentives but have 3.75m in dead cap. ‘21: 28c/294y/1td

TE Hunter Henry: 3yr, 37.5M with 25M fully guaranteed.  15m cap hit in ‘22.  ‘21: 50c/603y/9td

Bourne and Henry were very good deals, but they Really overpaid for Agholor and J.Smith.  I know the cap dropped a lot last year but the way they Structured the Deals made the ‘22 cap hits really high and without any flexibility. 

6 hours ago, Chali21 said:

True but it’s looking like they might need 4 new starters on the line. Add that with guys they need on defense, a number one WR, prioritization will need to take place.  They might just keep leatherwood where he is because he’s cheap right now. He might not be the long term guy and kept on a short leash but they might have bigger more pressing matters. 

Although I still hate the pick I think you still need to give Leatherwood another shot but at a more natural position on the left.  Good is cheap and should be retained.  He can play RG and RT if needed while still being able to backup LG.  James' improvement at C was enough to were we should not have to replace him.  If he is a horrible fit then I also believe he showed enough last year to have some trade value.  Miller you do not touch.  So we need 1 starting caliber player or two if you want to make Leatherwood really compete.  NE gave Brown a reasonable contract so I would assume they would find decent talent at a reasonable price unless TB just did it for BB.  We do need depth but I believe we might need 4 players not 4 starters.  Defense might be a completely different story depending on who we bring in.  We at least know that we need 3-4 DTs.

5 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

TE Hunter Henry: 3yr, 37.5M with 25M fully guaranteed.  15m cap hit in ‘22.  ‘21: 50c/603y/9td

Bourne and Henry were very good deals, but they Really overpaid for Agholor and J.Smith. 

If Henry was a good deal imagine what Waller is going too want.

2 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Bourne and Henry were very good deals, but they Really overpaid for Agholor and J.Smith.  I know the cap dropped a lot last year but the way they Structured the Deals made the ‘22 cap hits really high and without any flexibility. 

Ironically, Bourne and Henry were more productive as well.