Kellen Diesch, T Arizona St

Josh Johnson, WR Tulsa

Justyn Ross, WR Clemson

Derek Deese, TE San Jose St

Mario Goodrich, CB Clemson

Bubba Bolden, S Miami

Kuony Deng, LB California

Jaivon Helieigh, WR Coastal Carolina

McKinley signing with the Dolphins apparently. 

Overall I’m happy with the draft. Didn’t expect much with no first and second. Came away with some good depth at positions of need and these players can become starters this year or next year but should contribute this year as back ups at the very least. Very logical draft

• Like 1

If you really no football this is a really good draft we got a lot of high-value picks oppositions that the league doesn’t consider valuable.

it’s not gonna be acknowledged as like a top-five draft by the websites and tv stuff but I actually consider this a top-five draft(even without the first round picks). The only real head scratcher was the Britain pick but that was 7th rd

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1

I think this is probably fairly indicative of what to expect from our Draft classes.And I'm pretty ok with it. 

This year, trading the 1st and 2nd for Adams was probably more of a circumstantial one-off.

Under Zeigler and McDaniels, I don't really expect flashy drafts. It's never really been the Patriots MO, and it wasn't when they were in Denver either, really. They seem more than willing to be active in FA, and if it works, don't fix it. 

As for the Draft itself, my grades are:

90- Dylan Parham, G/C Memphis: A-. He should start day 1 and push someone out of their spot. I was a bit surprised he was there. 

122- Zamir White, RB Georgia: C. Some love it. I'm not a huge fan. We can only keep 53 guys and there are 3 RBs on the roster we hurt ourselves financially trying to get rid of. For the record, at this spot, I would've jumped on Romeo Doubs, WR. Nevada or Calvin Austin, WR, Memphis, because we still feel really thin behind Adams and Renfrow. 

126- Neil Farrell, DT LSU: B+. I really like the pick and he should plug right in as a run stuffer. 

175- Matthew Butler, DT Tennesee: B. Hard not to like the value. I expected him gone about 35 picks before. My only concern is that, like Farrell, I don't see a whole lot of pass rush ability here. That said, at this point the only guy I really had my eye on at the moment was Damone Clark, LB, LSU, who probably takes a redshirt this year anyway. Solid, not spectacular. 

238- Thayer Munford, G Ohio St- B-. Should provide solid depth. I was surprised he was available myself. I probably would've gone with Rasheed Walker, T, Penn St myself, but Munford can either push Good or Simpson or he can't. I don't see him being tried out at T though, as his pass blocking leaves some to be desired. 

250- Brittain Brown RB UCLA- C-. I actually like the selection of a RB here more than at 122. Brown didn't start much, but he was also part of a committee with 2 very good backs in Demetric Felton and Zach Charbonnet. I can see him being more of a goal line back, which should be a good role for him. Not wild about his 4.66 wheels and lack of pass catching prowess though. If he recaptures his early form from his Duke days, could be a steal as a big plodder type. Solid pick, but not wild about the number of RBs considering there's no way we keep all of them, and again, 3 are already practically assured spots. It's a flier at the very end of the draft though, so taking anyone else is basically just to lock them up ahead of UDFA. I would've gone for Verone McKinley, S Oregon, or Josh Jobe CB Alabama for some variety in the picks, as I really wanted both guys and they wound up signed elsewhere and I wasn't wild about the avoidance of DBs. 

Overall: I give the picks a B. I give the entire draft, including the Adams trade, an A-. Good start to the Zeigler-McDaniels regime, imo. Not perfect, but not really anything that jumps out as insanely stupid. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

If you really no football this is a really good draft we got a lot of high-value picks oppositions that the league doesn’t consider valuable.

it’s not gonna be acknowledged as like a top-five draft by the websites and tv stuff but I actually consider this a top-five draft(even without the first round picks). The only real head scratcher was the Britain pick but that was 7th rd

Seems like we did really well according to this draft value chart.

• Like 1

I can tell that watching Zeigler's drafts is going to be much more entertaining, picking more players that are commonly regarded as good by the masses. 

Can't really complain about this draft, we overstocked on the two positions we really didn't address (other than filler free agents). Two RB's is a bit of a head scratcher. Lots of common sense in this draft. I could get used to this.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Overall I’m happy with the draft. Didn’t expect much with no first and second. Came away with some good depth at positions of need and these players can become starters this year or next year but should contribute this year as back ups at the very least. Very logical draft

I found this a fascinating little insight into our new FO. Couple things I like, the willingness to move around and try and get better value plus we didn't seem to overdraft anyone. If anything, we seem initially at least to have got good value with all the picks, maybe except the RB in the 7th, but at that stage it's a coin toss.

Pretty much all our players are ranked higher than where we picked them and I know that's not the be all, end all but it's nice not to take a painfully obvious reach and what feels like a desperation pick such as Arnette or Leatherwood. I like this Zeigler fellow.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I found this a fascinating little insight into our new FO. Couple things I like, the willingness to move around and try and get better value plus we didn't seem to overdraft anyone. If anything, we seem initially at least to have got good value with all the picks, maybe except the RB in the 7th, but at that stage it's a coin toss.

Pretty much all our players are ranked higher than where we picked them and I know that's not the be all, end all but it's nice not to take a painfully obvious reach and what feels like a desperation pick such as Arnette or Leatherwood. I like this Zeigler fellow.

Not to be be overly dramatic, but for a fan base that has been so used to WTF picks for so long - it was honestly one of the no. 1 things I wanted from the FO. 

From the old days of Al drafting workout warriors, to Reggie and his fixation on players with ‘stories’ or his projects in the 3rd round to Grudock trying to be smarter than everyone - I really wanted to see from Ziegler:

1. Going into the draft without obvious needs which leads to reaches and other teams knowing your plans

2. Picking players I had heard of 

3. Picking players at where they were projected to go

When you write that out, it really shouldn’t be that much to ask! But has been ridiculously elusive for years.

It was such a relief to hear the names being called out and to not immediately think, ‘Who?’ or ‘What?’ and just to nod and say, ‘okay….decent pick’. 😆

• Like 1

One last point - it’s about damn time that we have some actual grown ups in the building making sensible, rational decisions. You can argue about the finer points about each pick - but to zero in on the 2 most obvious weaknesses and then select what appear to be experienced, versatile players is just such a common sense approach - it’s refreshing if weirdly unfamiliar!

I have been so envious of those teams who draft good, solid football players in the rounds they were supposed to go. Obviously have to wait and see how it all plays out, but it seems like,  at long last we may have some function.

8 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Agree with this. Building competition in the trenches is going to help this year and it does look like the FO had an eye on the future with the pickups of White & Farrell. Solid draft. 

1 hour ago, reddevil said:

One last point - it’s about damn time that we have some actual grown ups in the building making sensible, rational decisions. You can argue about the finer points about each pick - but to zero in on the 2 most obvious weaknesses and then select what appear to be experienced, versatile players is just such a common sense approach - it’s refreshing if weirdly unfamiliar!

I have been so envious of those teams who draft good, solid football players in the rounds they were supposed to go. Obviously have to wait and see how it all plays out, but it seems like,  at long last we may have some function.

Exactly this, I'd probably have gone a slightly different way with each player honestly but you can see the rationale behind the picks, understand the reasons why we took each player and manouvered to get value. There wasn't any head scratching wtf moments where we obviously panicked and took an Arnette a round or two too high. I'm very optimistic moving forward.

• Like 1