2022 Draft Talk

swede700

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Why do you say that?  Not saying you're wrong, but I don't know what you're going off of.

Purely analytics background - he understands that a handful of positions greatly impact who wins the game so draft these early and often.

Drafting a premium position in the first can save you a ton of money against the cap and on the flip side of this drafting a non premium position is going to be less beneficial cap wise.

8 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They did?  I saw their defense win them the championship.

I'd say the SuperBowl MVP says he was the reason they won.

And if OBJ didn't tear his ACL that offense would have put up 40.

Backs up my point about aggressively building the pass game - you can't be content with have only a few options in the pass game.

In the Vikings case we shouldn't be happy because we have JJ (and an ageing Thielen) we need to continue to add weapons. If JJ goes down this offense would be very very average to bottom 10

2 minutes ago, viking said:

Purely analytics background - he understands that a handful of positions greatly impact who wins the game so draft these early and often.

Drafting a premium position in the first can save you a ton of money against the cap and on the flip side of this drafting a non premium position is going to be less beneficial cap wise.

Coming from an analytics background doesn't mean he can't/won't draft a "non-premium" position.  It generally means they're involved more on the non-traditional scouting style.  They use other tools like Combine athletic testing, etc. to make their judgements.  And the pay gap has decreased in recent years.  Top OGs are being nearly identical to top RTs, etc.  I'm not saying they will draft a non-premium position in the first round, but I don't think there's any kind of track record to suggest he won't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, viking said:

Backs up my point about aggressively building the pass game - you can't be content with have only a few options in the pass game.

In the Vikings case we shouldn't be happy because we have JJ (and an ageing Thielen) we need to continue to add weapons. If JJ goes down this offense would be very very average to bottom 10

I mean, the 7 sacks and 11 QB hits suggest otherwise.  That Rams' D was eating the Bengals' OL alive in that game.  Give Joe Burrow a better OL, and they probably would have won the Super Bowl.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, viking said:

Super Bowl MVP voting is a joke.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, viking said:

He's gonna be out of the league in 2 years and the Titans haven't won anything.

Rams

Bucs

Chiefs 

All had dominant receiving cores and won rings.

Saying the Chiefs have a dominant receiving core is a little of a stretch.  They have Tyreek and Kelce.  All of the other WRs are interchangeable/JAGs.

Ideally a top CB or pass rusher (or QB if they decide to move on from Kirk) will be available at 12 but if they go early and a great WR falls, I'd be ok with a WR pick. Ideally they'd try to trade back first but I'd rather pick great talent at a luxury position than force a need pick.

The top 3 WRs will get a lot of playing time in the new offense and I don't think Osborn and (probably not Thielen at this point) should prevent them from drafting a WR if that's how the board falls,  even though it's not an immediate need

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

KJ Osborn, Olabisi Johnson and Ihmir Smith-Marsette are a fine trio of backup WRs, and usually Osborn could be seen as a starter with how some offenses are in today's game.

And Osborn has shown exponential growth in 2 seasons. No reason to believe it won't continue. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, swede700 said:

Saying the Chiefs have a dominant receiving core is a little of a stretch.  They have Tyreek and Kelce.  All of the other WRs are interchangeable/JAGs.

Kelce the best revieiving tight end of all time and Hill one of the most game breaking recievers of all time aren't dominant? What?

We only have JJ who is on the level of Hill or Kelce

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

KJ Osborn, Olabisi Johnson and Ihmir Smith-Marsette are a fine trio of backup WRs, and usually Osborn could be seen as a starter with how some offenses are in today's game.

I agree.  I'd be fine if they just took a late round flyer on someone but I just don't think WR should be completely off the board in the early rounds

• Like 1