2022 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Prospect Standouts):

Ozzy

15 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I make the joking comment about you being engaged to him because this is the 2nd if not 3rd time you commented to me Penning.  I heard you the first time.  A guy I have not seen and you are all pissed that I have not seen him yet?  Either you go to or went to school at Northern Iowa, are from Iowa, are related to this guy in some way or are friends with this guy because why else would you be harping on him as much as you have?  You just love his ability so much?  Maybe that could be it I guess.

Seems kind of odd, and typically I do not base things on what others said or what other rankings guys have, I rarely look at them.  Sure you view from multiple sources and claim it is just common knowledge, well no for those who do you view others opinions constantly and make it off as their own, it is not common knowledge.

And yes I would find it to me quite rare that Northern Iowa has two dudes, very similar in height in terms of being 6-7+, both are athletic OTs, both are great players and both will be NFL starters?  Have any other FCS schools pulled that off recently in back to back years?  Doubt anyone has so either they have two outstanding lineman or one of these guys might be a bit overrated.  Thus yes I am a bit skeptical about it.  Oh and Spencer Brown had the #1 RAS score since 1987 for all OTs in the NFL draft assuming those numbers were correct even though they were not done in a combine setting, so this Penning guy will take his place at #1?  Thus Spencer Brown was a big time rare athlete, and this dude is just as rare and just as athletic and good?  Thus the hard to believe but will see how he plays and times out

https://beargoggleson.com/2021/04/05/spencer-brown-2021-nfl-draft/#:~:text=Spencer Brown is a OT,OT from 1987 to 2021.

Based on watching him Penning seems more like a RT for sure if not potentially a interior OG.  Really good toughness and power in his hands, can really push guys around and move them.  Not totally sold on him in pass pro, he is a mauler first and foremost.  Plays with good balance as well, I would be shocked if he is a better athlete than Spencer Brown though and puts up numbers like he did, no way that is the case but will see.  I am not in love with the dude as much as you are, good solid player but not sure he is as great as apparently you make him out to be.  Would be great if he performs awesome in the Senior Bowl, like I said this class needs another elite level OT but will see.  

I'm from Iowa, but I've moved multiple states at this point and don't have any affiliation to Northern Iowa. I'm just high on Penning's ability and it's not like he's a secret. It's a valid criticism and suggestion for someone to watch. I'll just not participate in this thread heading forward if criticism and conversation aren't welcome here and you're just looking for a place to blog your thoughts.

Even if you don't check out rankings, it's hard for me to imagine that you wouldn't have noticed Penning while watching Spencer Brown in 2020 or at least questioned why a freak athlete like Brown was playing RT for an FCS school. but it happens, so not gonna hold that against you or anything. It's just peculiar seeing 300 names on the opening post, pages of comments on weekly standouts including guys from other FCS schools, but no mention or desire to watch someone who has hype that pre-dates the season. It's just a glaring oversight that's difficult to ignore.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'm from Iowa, but I've moved multiple states at this point and don't have any affiliation to Northern Iowa. I'm just high on Penning's ability and it's not like he's a secret. It's a valid criticism and suggestion for someone to watch. I'll just not participate in this thread heading forward if criticism and conversation aren't welcome here and you're just looking for a place to blog your thoughts.

Even if you don't check out rankings, it's hard for me to imagine that you wouldn't have noticed Penning while watching Spencer Brown in 2020 or at least questioned why a freak athlete like Brown was playing RT for an FCS school. but it happens, so not gonna hold that against you or anything. It's just peculiar seeing 300 names on the opening post, pages of comments on weekly standouts including guys from other FCS schools, but no mention or desire to watch someone who has hype that pre-dates the season. It's just a glaring oversight that's difficult to ignore.

Good to hear you are not biased on the dude, still I have went back and forth with others who provide way more information than you do, it is not a problem.  Easy for you to be critical but when you yourself provide little to no information yourself, kind of hard to respect where you are coming from honestly.

I never saw Spencer Brown play a game on Northern Iowa, it was only based on Senior Bowl performance and practices, thus yeah I did not notice Penning either.  I comment on Penning after watching a few clips little bit ago and you still have a problem with it apparently.

Have an attitude about the information I provide, whatever man, I do not see you doing it but go ahead and be critical when you yourself could not provide the same information most likely.  You are being critical for a reason, it is not to help and assist it is to insult and put down.  You watching Smoke Monday on Auburn right now?  I doubt it.  And I do agree this is a massive waste of time this entire back and forth with you.  

I don't have a problem with your first impression evaluation from a bit ago on Penning. I'm glad you took a look at him and hope our interactions haven't impacted your evaluation.

This wasn't any sort of malicious thing though. If I disliked you or didn't like your content, I just wouldn't open up your thread. That's what I do with others. No real point bringing anyone down. My suggestions/criticism was only an attempt to help out/curiosity about him being missing from your evaluations since he is a consensus top prospect and the premise of your thread seems to be a thorough scouting thread. I do think I can be a bit better about providing positive feedback because 99% of the time I just lurk and read without providing any sort of comment. So I can get how this comes off as "just being negative" but that's not the case. Re-reading though my original comment from yesterday, I can also see now how it comes off, so could have put it better probably.

I'm not sure what kind of input you want from me though. I pointed out that he was someone that should be looked into and a month ago when I first mentioned him, I gave info for how I (and how I know others) typically evaluate small school prospects. This "make your own thread! bet you can't" response is just wild to me. I don't have the same type of time as I used to when it comes to draft evaluation, but I don't think I've made empty comments here and legitimately have just tried to be helpful because FF has always been at its best when there have been passionate draft evaluators (most of them have left the site at this point or have gotten too busy with life). 

6 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

I'm from Iowa, but I've moved multiple states at this point and don't have any affiliation to Northern Iowa. I'm just high on Penning's ability and it's not like he's a secret. 

I have Penning as the best Tackle prospect of the draft. He is absolutely a better player than Spencer Brown. 
Also love Raimann and Lucas a lot. 
Neal would be better suited to guard I feel and would be my #1 prospect at this position.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

I have Penning as the best Tackle prospect of the draft. He is absolutely a better player than Spencer Brown. 
Neal would be better suited to guard I feel and would be my #1 prospect at this position.  

Brown looked quicker to me though. I was disappointed when I took a look at Penning. Figured I'd see another Radunz but... He's a scary wrestler but he's a lot slower footed than I expected.

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

That is great, and hopefully he is as good as you all say he is.  But athletically I doubt he is better than Spencer Brown was.

6-8 311
4.94 40
31.5" vertical
117 Broad jump
4.4 Short shuttle
6.96 3 cone

Like I said sure those numbers maybe are not totally accurate because it was not at the combine, but #1 RAS score since 1987 out of all OTs is wildly impressive if they are true numbers.

Also I doubt Penning is a true LT, he is more likely a RT and not sure he is better than Kinnard on Kentucky and I am not a huge fan of Cross but he is much better as a potential LT than Penning is.  I still say just watching him a little, looks more like a great guard potentially.  I agree Neal might be better at OG but could hang as a RT no problem but did struggle at times as a LT but that Bama line was terrible at times this year so not much help around him especially at OG and C, he was dominating last season as a SOPH with more experience proven talent around him.

This is very impressive physically by Penning though.

For comparison sake, one of these things is far more impressive than the other however.

26 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Brown looked quicker to me though. I was disappointed when I took a look at Penning. Figured I'd see another Radunz but... He's a scary wrestler but he's a lot slower footed than I expected.

Northern Iowa is never on TV because they never get deep enough in the FCS playoffs, I have not really caught them at all on TV yet this year or last.  Still it will all depend on what he does at the Senior Bowl, if he dominates everyone or what happens.  Kind of like Quinn Meinerz last year, super impressive Senior Bowl week but still he fell to the 3rd round after playing great but little different being a D3 guy.  Radunz got a ton of hype as an elite athletic OT type, and he still has potential but even on a very injured Titans OL he still does not really play at least so far this year.  If he cannot play over Lamm and Quessenberry at OT that is some what questionable but still early in his career obviously.  

I feel Penning at a quick glance might be better at guard but again all depends on how he performs at the Senior Bowl, would be shocked if he put up numbers like Brown did athletically though.

I would say it could go like this in terms of LT and RT types, I need to watch Penning a lot more but I would put him behind Kinnard at this point at RT and possibly even behind Tucker or Faalele but he is probably better at pass pro than they are arguably.  Not sure about Zion Johnson who is probably a OG also but could play RT if need be I feel, same with Salyer I could see him kick inside to OG.

LT
Charles Cross Miss State RS SOPH
Nicholas Petit-Frere Ohio State RS JR
Ikem Ekwonu NC State RS SOPH
Abraham Lucas Washington State RS
Obinna Eze TCU RS
Carter Warren Pitt RS

RT
Evan Neal Alabama JR
Darian Kinnard Kentucky
Jordan Tucker UNC RS
Daniel Faalele Minnesota RS
Zion Johnson Boston College / OG
Jamaree Salyer Georgia / OG
Sean Rhyan UCLA JR
Bamidele Olaseni Utah RS

Also say Dawand Jones declares, he could easily be the #2 RT type behind Neal, Jones has big time ability and sure both he and Penning played basketball in high school but I would go out and say Jones was a better bball player than Penning was and is probably more athletic despite being quite a bit bigger. 

Edited by Ozzy

20 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Jones looked lost against the Michigan edge players granted they are studs. @Ozzy thoughts on Kinnard? I don’t know what to make of his athleticism and fit at tackle. Looks like a mauling guard to me.

You could say the same thing about Tucker, Faalele and Salyer.  At times they look lost at RT as well, and Neal looked lost out there at LT at times, not often but at times it was like what the hell?  Still college is different and they bring some really small guys on blitzes, and aren't the hashes farther apart so that makes it harder as well depending on the situation.

Kinnard is a beast and I think would do fine at RT, but sure is best in a run heavy system and is best as a run blocker but right not I feel he is the 2nd best RT potentially but that could change.  

And sure Jones looked lost but yeah that Michigan DL played amazing against them and beat them up pretty bad.  And have some obvious 1st round edge players on the D as well.  Still isn't this his first season as a full time starter, he does not have a ton of experience so there is that.  Sure he probably should return to school and probably will, just saying if he declares and because of the lack of anyone else standing out at the position he could jump right in there with good workouts and obviously he is a great athlete for being 360, better athlete than Faalele is for sure.  

Will be interesting to watch Faalele in the bowl game assuming he plays.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You could say the same thing about Tucker, Faalele and Salyer.  At times they look lost at RT as well, and Neal looked lost out there at LT at times, not often but at times it was like what the hell?  Still college is different and they bring some really small guys on blitzes, and aren't the hashes farther apart so that makes it harder as well depending on the situation.

Kinnard is a beast and I think would do fine at RT, but sure is best in a run heavy system and is best as a run blocker but right not I feel he is the 2nd best RT potentially but that could change.  

And sure Jones looked lost but yeah that Michigan DL played amazing against them and beat them up pretty bad.  And have some obvious 1st round edge players on the D as well.  Still isn't this his first season as a full time starter, he does not have a ton of experience so there is that.  Sure he probably should return to school and probably will, just saying if he declares and because of the lack of anyone else standing out at the position he could jump right in there with good workouts and obviously he is a great athlete for being 360, better athlete than Faalele is for sure.  

Will be interesting to watch Faalele in the bowl game assuming he plays.  

Definitely think the talent is there with the size for Jones but that he should come back and refine his game

I had Penning as the top pure RT.

Of your list, I think Z.Johnson and Kinnard are OGs ( and really good ones).

I think Cross could be the third LT in the list behind Ekwonu  and Petit-Frere but I can easily see Cross going before Petit-Frere as well.  That potential.

Prospect Standouts: Bowl Games

*Smoke Monday SR S Auburn:  What a show he put on despite being kicked out of the game for targeting on a block during a INT.  The dude brought amazing energy to the field, he was flying around the knocking people all over the place.  I liked how aggressive he played this year and for a last game this was a great showing for him.  Was very enthusiastic on the sidelines even after he got the targeting call, stayed into the game and was motivating his teammates.  Overall they ended up in a loss but in the day and age where players do not want to play bowl games and to many the games mean nothing, Smoke Monday brought it in this one from the start.  I think his ability to tackle is very impressive and he already has good range as a safety and good length, could be the #3 safety in the up coming draft and possibly worked himself into a 2nd or 3rd round selection.

*Daniel Faalele SR OT Minnesota:  Was great to see him score that touchdown and honestly not sure why they did not do that more in goal line situations.  He is just a mountain out there, obviously does not get pushed around at all and is a real force in that run game.  Will be interesting how he does athletically in the testing and how he plays in the Senior Bowl.  Is a very rare player but not all teams will want a dude that big, but in the right situation with a team committed to running the ball he could be outstanding.  Has been a huge part of that Gopher program and his presence alone makes an identity in itself.

*Chandler Wooten RS SR OLB Auburn:  Like his teammate he brought it in this game, was all over the field making tackles.  They had multiple LBs out and they needed him and he brought it and had a great game.  Loved the energy and enthusiasm he played with in this game.  Wish he was a little bigger and brought the kind of physical play to every game this year that he brought in this one. Could be a decent late round draft pick and will be interesting how he times out, really arrived to the ball quickly in this one.   

*Alton McCaskill FR RB Houston:  Very impressive young back for them, huge part of that team and he is a really strong and physical dude.  Impressive player for sure and will be one to watch, should be key to that program moving forward because of the physical power he brings on every play.

*Nathaniel Dell RS SOPH WR Houston:  Dude is a big time playmaker and easily one of the best returning receivers in the nation.  Very quick and they had a hell of a time trying to cover him, he is so quick in an out of his cuts, he can get open easily.  Is a massive reason for the teams success because he is such a dominant player who is really hard to guard.

*Boye Mafe RS SR DE Minnesota:  Yet another great game for him after having a really standout season.  He needs to develop a few more pass rush moves to get himself free but dude is a great looking athlete, strong at the point of attack and uses his hands well.  Great production from the edge and could easily be a 2nd round pick but if not that should be long gone by the 3rd.  Got to love the energy he plays with, he has improved every year he has been in college and if he continues to do that he could become a solid player.  

*Reggie Pearson Jr RS JR S Texas Tech:  I always liked him on Wisconsin and he looks pretty solid on Texas Tech and should have another year to develop more next season.  Has a good flow out there, moves well as a safety and has a good feel for the game, seems to have got a lot bigger and with his range and tackling ability is an interesting safety prospect if he continues to develop.

*Donovan Smith RS FR QB Texas Tech:  Where they get this guy from, even with Slough coming back apparently I would want to play Smith.  Huge kid and seems to have a really live arm, moves very well in the pocket and outside the pocket also.  Looks like a potential star but clearly needs some more playing time, will be interesting what they do with that QB spot next season.

*Esezi Otomewo RS SR DE Minnesota:  Played an outstanding game for Minnesota and especially late this year he has rounded out into possibly being a late round draft pick.  Has great size and could play in a 3/4 or a 4/3.  Did great as a pass rusher in this game and got after the QB multiple times, is playing his best at the right time that is for sure, sure many have taken notice.  

*Conner Olson RS SR C Minnesota:  The starting center went out for them and Olson moved into that spot, I actually like him more as a center than a guard which is what he played all season.  He really moved people when he was put in at center and that run game really took off I feel with him at his more natural spot.  Interesting talent and should be a solid late round draft pick potentially.

*John Samuel Shenker RS SR TE Auburn:  Got to love that kind of production from a TE, is not a super thick guy but is a great pass catching TE with good athletic ability and speed.  Has made some big plays this season and made a few in this bowl game as well.  Really can get downfield and make plays when teams to not pay attention to him.  If he works out well could be a late round draft pick but most likely he is a UDFA and could surprise some teams potentially.

*Christian Trahan JR TE Houston:  Not a super star prospect but an interesting talent and has a good build for the position.  Probably needs another year to develop but is a solid weapon on the outside that is for sure.

*Corvan Taylor SR S Air Force:  I need to watch him more but kid had great tackling form on a few plays.  Really drove his legs and the offensive player backward.  Not sure he has the speed though for the NFL but as a tackler he is impressive, could be a special teams guy maybe but all depends on how he times out.  

10 hours ago, jebrick said:

I had Penning as the top pure RT.

Of your list, I think Z.Johnson and Kinnard are OGs ( and really good ones).

I think Cross could be the third LT in the list behind Ekwonu  and Petit-Frere but I can easily see Cross going before Petit-Frere as well.  That potential.

You have Penning as better than Evan Neal?  Not so sure about that one.  Cross could go behind Ekwonu and Petit-Frere but I doubt it, especially with how Petit-Frere has struggled in pass pro at times this year.  Faalele could be on the move up, he looked solid in that bowl game and honestly there is no other player on the OL where pretty much a program was built around them just based on their abilities.  Clearly Minnesota put a ton of different backs on the field because of injuries this year and a huge part of their success was being able to run behind and around Faalele.  Sure they have three or four other OL who will probably be drafted but Faalele is the real force out there.  Pass pro is a question maybe but with the right coaching and in the right organization it might not be that big of an issue.  In terms of rare talent could say he is right behind Evan Neal as the best RT but sure Neal could end up as a OG but I doubt it. 

Thinking about it, honestly if Faalele played for Wisconsin, he would be a 1st round pick.  Only real reason many doubt him a bit, including myself at times is Minnesota has not had a OL drafted in the last 15 years.  If he played for a more blue blood program he would be a 1st round pick though based on his play arguably.  He absolutely changed that program himself, look at how they were last year without him.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

You have Penning as better than Evan Neal?  Not so sure about that one.  Cross could go behind Ekwonu and Petit-Frere but I doubt it, especially with how Petit-Frere has struggled in pass pro at times this year.  Faalele could be on the move up, he looked solid in that bowl game and honestly there is no other player on the OL where pretty much a program was built around them just based on their abilities.  Clearly Minnesota put a ton of different backs on the field because of injuries this year and a huge part of their success was being able to run behind and around Faalele.  Sure they have three or four other OL who will probably be drafted but Faalele is the real force out there.  Pass pro is a question maybe but with the right coaching and in the right organization it might not be that big of an issue.  In terms of rare talent could say he is right behind Evan Neal as the best RT but sure Neal could end up as a OG but I doubt it. 

Thinking about it, honestly if Faalele played for Wisconsin, he would be a 1st round pick.  Only real reason many doubt him a bit, including myself at times is Minnesota has not had a OL drafted in the last 15 years.  If he played for a more blue blood program he would be a 1st round pick though based on his play arguably.  He absolutely changed that program himself, look at how they were last year without him.  

No.  I have Neal as the top RT.  I view Penning as a much better Rt than LT prospect.  some people have Penning as a LT.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

*Boye Mafe RS SR DE Minnesota:  Yet another great game for him after having a really standout season.

I too was impressed last night. Questions about lack of mass were answered after showing great ability to anchor, stack, shed and tackle when in reduction. Also showed more than adequate athletics when dropping into coverage.  Potential elite player in the right system. 

15 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Jones looked lost against the Michigan edge players granted they are studs.

If I'm not mistaken, they started taking him out of the game in passing situations in that one. Not good.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

*Daniel Faalele SR OT Minnesota:  Was great to see him score that touchdown and honestly not sure why they did not do that more in goal line situations.  He is just a mountain out there, obviously does not get pushed around at all and is a real force in that run game.

Faalele is severely overrated. He's not near as strong at the poa as you'd expect and he's awkward and sluggish in pass pro. The guy is literally doing splits on the ground after getting beat by quickness right as the announcers are gushing over him.

Watch #55 Dante Stills kick his *** here on the edge in the 4th. Every time a guy with a modicum of athletic ability matches up with him he loses. And Stills is draftable but he's no world beater. Probably a late round guy at best.

I get coaches could get excited about his upside with that incredible length and moderate mobility at that size, but yikes...what a project.

9 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

If I'm not mistaken, they started taking him out of the game in passing situations in that one. Not good.

Faalele is severely overrated. He's not near as strong at the poa as you'd expect and he's awkward and sluggish in pass pro. The guy is literally doing splits on the ground after getting beat by quickness right as the announcers are gushing over him.

Watch #55 Dante Stills kick his *** here on the edge in the 4th. Every time a guy with a modicum of athletic ability matches up with him he loses. And Stills is draftable but he's no world beater. Probably a late round guy at best.

I get coaches could get excited about his upside with that incredible length and moderate mobility at that size, but yikes...what a project.

I assume you disliked Orlando Brown Jr also when he was coming out.  But sure it would be great if he fell in the draft and there were not super high expectations for him.  

He could very well be the largest player to enter into the NFL in terms of pure body mass and proportions, sure on paper some have been bigger but only reason it might not be the case for Faalele is he dropped weight.  Will be curious how long his arms are because the 6-9 height seems legit.  And he is not this fat looking dude at all either.  Becton was big but had very little thin ankles and generally legs for a man that large, Aaron Gibson was huge but not as long or tall, Trent Brown is big and long but not as big or as long as Faalele, same with Orlando Brown Jr.   Granted Orlando was a far superior proven pass protector than Faalele has been.  Then again he was not asked to do it much in all honesty, they were bottom 12th team in the nation in least amount of passing yards a game and only attempted around 250+ passes attempted all season.

Daniel_Faalele.1539107638.png

o9fpjyfw9ez21.jpg

7943309.jpg

Ideal spots for him could be Patriots, Ravens, Eagles or Chiefs.  Trent Brown was a 7th round pick and Orlando Brown was a 3rd rounder and both have been wildly successful in the NFL, but sure it could help if not a lot of pressure was put on him by being picked high.  But neither Trent or Orlando had a program built around him like Faalele did and neither one was that critical to the success of the program like Faalele was.  What he did at Minnesota was impressive regardless of who was back there at RB and the injuries and different backs he blocked for and they all had success.  Sure he missed some time as a SOPH late in the year because of injury, sat out all of last year because of COVID and really should be a RS JR this year but is going to the Senior bowl.

Will be interesting to watch him, and sure at times he loses but yeah you point out Stills beating him, and I need to watch more of Stills for sure after how he looked last night.  It could be more he is that promising of a pass rusher especially as a DT than Faalele being this awful player, Stills beat up his teammates also not just Faalele in pass pro at times.  He was All Big 12 1st team this year and arguably the best DT in the conference.  

How often have you watched Faalele?    Sure would be nice to see him drive defenders backward more but he can easily wall guys off and obviously cannot be moved easily around by anyone.  With the right coaching he could do just fine, but will be curious how he athletically works out, some will hate because what he runs a sluggish 40 and does not bench a ton of reps at 225, well guess what neither did Orlando Brown Jr or Trent Brown.  Will be fascinating to watch because no one really has come into the league like him, Jordan Mailata comes to mind and he had obviously no college experience really but was also a 7th rounder no one paid attention to, also is a better athlete than Faalele.

There is hope for him, and to pretend his physical size and presence basically did not change that Minnesota football team, well it did and there have been results from it.  To just say he is a big fat guy who cannot move, that commentary has been made far too often and has been proven wrong a lot recently.