2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

31 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

Browns Fans who want Baker Mayfield out, and refuse to acknowledge his past Successes, his Injury this year, Lack of Targets, and 4 HC's in 4 years.....I feel are Gloomy Cynic Complainers, who only see what they want to see.

Not speaking about you in particular @MWil23...I just like the form of your post and decided to borrow it...

Many are.

I would also say that Baker apologists who conveniently discard the entirety of 2019, the first 5 games of 2020, and all of 2021 while not admitting his inability to perform under pressure (as in against the blitz, not speaking about clutch), read a defense, sloppy footwork, and propensity to turn over the football should also take a step back and understand that there are some major problems he needs to fix.

27 minutes ago, JDD said:

So you wanted to keep OBJ and release Baker over that situation? 

Goodness no. I'm saying that IF you thought OBJ was an issue (and he absolutely was), just wait until you get Michael Thomas, who has been nothing short of a malcontent who has major attitude, work ethic, and injury issues with some outspoken criticism of Drew Brees...and this has been a 2+ year issue. Expecting him to come here and for those things to go away is delusional.

22 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

We all like @MWil23but I think it's fair to say him in particular. He is in NFL Gen playoff threads complaining about Baker. He occasionally says things that make sense about Baker but more times than not he seems to just be baiting someone into defending Baker so he can attack them.

We get it, you're a Baker apologist. I don't like him and I never have. It was a bad pick at the time and still is. I admitted that I was wrong on him and actually spent the bulk of about 18 months eating my words and saying that I thought as though he proved me wrong, and I've reversed course.

I've also said that I don't see a viable 2022 option better than him. To lump me into BrownLeader and BruceB territory on Baker is more than disingenuous.

@candyman93 and I basically believe the same. He's an average NFL QB. He's got an eerily similar career trajectory to Cutler and Andy Dalton, and those holding out hope at this point want to cherry pick Drew Brees data over his first four years. Let's all hope that's the case, but Brees is very much an outlier, and I personally don't hold out hope that Baker is.

Hopefully he proves me wrong in 2022.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

@candyman93 and I basically believe the same.

And no one has an issue with candy even though he feels the same way because he isn't attacking/baiting others.

I still believe in Baker. I don't apologize for him. I don't even often debate or defend him. Hell, I think he deserves a better fan base and should go somewhere that will care about him as much as he cares about his team. We can handle crappy QBing we have done it a long time. Bring in a 5th and start him.

25 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

And no one has an issue with candy even though he feels the same way because he isn't attacking/baiting others.

I'm not baiting anyone, so I'm sorry that you think that I am. Glad to see that you can so apparently weigh my motives and intentions though.

I still believe in Baker.

Good for you

I don't apologize for him. I don't even often debate or defend him.

This is laughable

Hell, I think he deserves a better fan base and should go somewhere that will care about him as much as he cares about his team.

You're entitled to your opinion.

I'm personally not feeling bad for an underachieving #1 overall pick who is a multi millionaire who has the sole job of performing well and hasn't delivered. 

We can handle crappy QBing we have done it a long time. Bring in a 5th and start him.

So I'm more of a believer in Baker than you since I said I'd give him 2022. Interesting.

3 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Browns fans who wanted OBJ out and want us to roll the dice on Baker Mayfield, while also being Baker Mayfield apologists, are nothing short of delusional.

I really wonder if you ever get tired of hearing yourself talk?  It is the same thing over and over and over.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wolfhunt said:

I really wonder if you ever get tired of hearing yourself talk?  It is the same thing over and over and over.  

I'm literally saying that Michael Thomas is infinitely worse than OBJ and we shouldn't bring him in while trying to salvage Baker. 

Edited by MWil23

33 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

This is laughable

You are way more of a hater than I am an apologist. You don't see me in every thread defending Baker but you hate on him everywhere. I don't see candy as a baker hater even though he feels about the same about him as you do because he isn't spewing it everywhere all of the time. He has an opinion. You have an agenda.

Baker's performance to this point is unquestionable. 2 good years, two bad years no matter the circumstances. That is done. The only real thing to talk about at this point is going forward not harping on or glorifying the past.

How can we be most successful in 2022 with Baker as our QB. How do we put him and the team in a position to win. These would be conversations with substance. Going on about why he sucks or defending why he has struggled for the millionth time just doesn't seem interesting.

4 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

You are way more of a hater than I am an apologist. You don't see me in every thread defending Baker but you hate on him everywhere. I don't see candy as a baker hater even though he feels about the same about him as you do because he isn't spewing it everywhere all of the time. He has an opinion. You have an agenda.

Whatever you say man. Apparently I have an agenda to...what exactly? What kind of pull do you think that I have.

I have rightfully been critical of him the entire back half of this season and have said my piece about things he needs to improve upon, which I've used data to support. Expecting a #1 overall pick to be better than mediocre isn't unrealistic, nor does it somehow make me a toxic fan (as if something short for fanatic wasn't already on the nose).

I don't recall posting in NFL General much at all in the last week, so I'm not exactly sure why you've been sitting on this and dragging me into this when I've moved on and embraced the fact that Baker is going to be the guy in 2022.

Baker's performance to this point is unquestionable. 2 good years, two bad years no matter the circumstances. That is done. The only real thing to talk about at this point is going forward not harping on or glorifying the past.

Which I've done. YOU were the one that dragged me into this and clearly misread what I said about OBJ/Michael Thomas as the comparison to launch your diatribe and tag me into a conversation that didn't exist up until that point. 

How can we be most successful in 2022 with Baker as our QB. How do we put him and the team in a position to win.

By NOT bringing in Michael Thomas

These would be conversations with substance.

Correct

Going on about why he sucks or defending why he has struggled for the millionth time just doesn't seem interesting.

Yeah, and guess what, I haven't been doing that for pretty much all week. I've said that I'd bring in some veteran receivers and draft prospects so that we can address gaping holes on our roster and set him up to have a chance at being more than average. You, JDD, and Wolf decided to make this about me, when that's not what I said or intended. Perhaps I wasn't clear, so I clarified.

We absolutely should not under any circumstances bring in Thomas or his potentially and likely cancerous attitude and mountain of a contract parlayed with an extensive injury history that happened to coincide with a big pay day, as well as a history of bashing his quarterback. That's a recipe for disaster. If you guys thought that OBJ was a distraction (and he absolutely was), then buckle up if we go down this hypothetical scenario.

I guess I'm a Baker hater or whatever (he's Ryan Fitzpatrick), but I can't wait for the responses on this board when we go 8-9 or 9-8 next season and just barely miss the playoffs to the tune of 20 TDs and 15 INTs. Baker will be dominant in some games and absolutely crap the bed in others. We'll have no idea what to do. It's going to rule. 

Edited by Reginaldm9

On 1/27/2022 at 5:37 AM, MWil23 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick? You’ve jumped the shark. 

Look at this guy saying we should replace Baker with anyone.

On 1/27/2022 at 8:26 AM, MWil23 said:

I mean, let's be honest about a few things here:

1. We already picked up Baker's 5th year option. Unless we can massively upgrade (and we can't through the draft IMO), he's our 2022 starter and should be.

Look at this guy bashing Baker with an agenda

Let's hope that his absolutely awful 2021 was due primarily to injury.

Look at this guy not giving him the benefit of the doubt and continuing his agenda

I still maintain that he's in the "average" tier, and let's just hope he can find his 2020 form.

Look at this guy bashing Baker and saying that we should replace him with a Day 3 Pick while refusing to acknowledge his 2020 season.

Expecting him to fix ALL of his footwork, ability under pressure, and reading defenses is a pipedream at this point...but if he can at least limit turnovers and do better in 2 of those above 3, this team will be a playoff contender.

Look at this guy assuming that he can't improve and saying that he'd suck no matter what.

2. The only viable other option(s) would be to trade for an ELITE QB. If that's Watson, I'm out for a while; he's a dealbreaker personally for me. That means I'd kick the can on Cousins if the price isn't too steep (draft wise), Rodgers, or Wilson via a trade, especially if the alternative means they'd end up in Pittsburgh.

Look at this guy saying that we should only upgrade if we can make an elite play that would involve only 3 potential players.

To be blunt, with the rise of Burrow and IF Jackson returns to his MVP caliber self, we are in trouble without a QB upgrade.

Having the 3rd best QB in the division is a concern if he doesn't improve is as close to "hating" as I've done

3. Either way, this is the year to re-sign Clowney and Ward, clear some cap space/cut the deadweight with a very solid 2022 roster and a war chest for 2023 to make a major move for a QB, whether that's via a trade up for a rookie pick or a massive package for some other guy.

Look at this guy assuming Baker is/should be our 2022 starting QB. What an agenda driven hater.

Lateral moves or major steps backwards like Ryan Fitzpatrick, a reclamation project like Trubisky, Rosen, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Jacoby Brissett, or Teddy Bridgewater is absolutely asinine.

Look at this guy naming a bunch of names he'd rather not have over Baker Mayfield while criticizing the 3 posters who said they'd rather have them than Baker. What a hater.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 1