2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Baker is what he has been thus far because that is what it is. Mostly underwhelming.  He is an uptempo QB who is extremely accurate in that system. We have never really tried it with him under any coach. The closest thing was down the stretch in 2020 but that didn't last long. 

I just think with the right system... nothing complicated and you don't have to take any routes off of the table because he can make all of the throws, he is a probowl QB every year. If we are never going to run an offense like that why waste his talents and our time. With the system we used last year with the personnel we need a Tom Brady with Lamar Jackson athleticism to make that passing game work. Maybe we thought Watson was close enough to that and that's why we went after him but my goodness if we don't have a coaching staff that can adjust to their players, especially QB then we really should move on from that coaching staff.

I don’t disagree with any of this. I too think Baker can be good and think our coaching staff and talent around him has failed him.

I do think though that what he’s been asked to do is pretty basic.  There are a lot of cutups of open receivers, missed reads, etc that can’t continue to happen like they have.

I just think you gloss over some of his shortcomings.

That’s not to say he can’t be good though.  I’m of the belief that a QB can still improve after year 4 which seems like an almost impossibility to some on this board.

I don’t blame them for going after Watson (football perspective only) as he’s simply a better player than Baker right now.  I also think the list of other guys who may be available and who are better is pretty short.  They both need to be adults and figure this out imo.

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

Then we should be able to fetch a good return for him right?  If other GM's are seeing what you are, and they have the type of Offense that you are speaking of....we should easily get a 1 and a 2 for a PRO BOWL CALIBER PLAYER!

Well he is on an expiring contract so that hurts value. Not only do you have to trade for him you have to give him a free agent type contract. 

I think we could get a late 1st value for him. Maybe #42 and a later pick from the Colts. 

• Like 1

Since the good news of acquiring A Cooper, this team has done nothing but get worse every day, and now we're doing a slow motion skid off the road into a flaming dumpster. Well done Jimmy and front office; we all knew the patina of competence couldn't last.

Edited by dawgdish

Here’s what happened:

There was no Plan B in place because until 48 hours ago there was no pursuit of Watson because Truckstop Jimmy meddled again, so now the FO is caught with their pants down and it’s not their fault