Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

5 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Willis is a dynamic runner, but I doubt he's as fast as Murray. He's stout and has great agility, so he breaks a lot of tackles, but I don't see Mike Vick/Lamar Jackson/Kyler Murray speed. His running style is more Trey Lance (albeit faster) than those guys. Willis has potential, but he's not as good of a prospect as Lance. Lance is much taller, has an even stronger arm, and protects the ball much better.

Willis is as athletic as Murray.

On 4/7/2022 at 8:44 AM, tyler735 said:

You don't think other QB's in the NFL can throw 70 yards? Baker used everything the had to get that ball to go 70 yards there as he had plenty of time and did a full crow hop as he stepped up in the pocket to make that throw happen. This is a scenario that rarely comes up for QB's in the NFL. 

Regardless, here is Willis running to the left with his momentum going that direction and throwing 70 yards across his body on the money at his pro day. 

50+ yards on the money without his feet set falling backwards

I'll take Willis's arm without any hesitation over Mayfield's.

That is a pretty deceptive stat, especially since they did not even start tracking such a thing since 2018.  And sure he has a cannon but if he is not accurate so what.

6 hours ago, TheEagle said:

Willis is a dynamic runner, but I doubt he's as fast as Murray. He's stout and has great agility, so he breaks a lot of tackles, but I don't see Mike Vick/Lamar Jackson/Kyler Murray speed. His running style is more Trey Lance (albeit faster) than those guys. Willis has potential, but he's not as good of a prospect as Lance. Lance is much taller, has an even stronger arm, and protects the ball much better.

He seems as fast as Murray to me on film. Reported hand held 40 times in college were similar Willis (4.37) Murray (4.38)...I know not super reliable lol. Willis at the Senior Bowl was clocked at 20.58 mph. I'd imagine he is capable of going faster than that, but it's in the same ballpark as Murray's fastest time of 20.78 mph

Edited by tyler735

23 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think it's his 4.4 speed and rocket arm.

Haha.  I will give you the rocket arm, but if Willis is legitimately fast he would have run at the combine.  People comping him with Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick will be disappointed.  

2 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Haha.  I will give you the rocket arm, but if Willis is legitimately fast he would have run at the combine.  People comping him with Lamar Jackson or Michael Vick will be disappointed.  

Yeah Lamar Jackson and Michael Vick (And Kyler Murray just for good measure) put up fantastic 40 times at the combine. I seem to have lost track of them though. Could you please post them on here for me?

• Like 1

Just now, offbyone said:

I don't think speed will be a big issue for Willis per se but rather if he has the skills to weaponize it at the NFL level. He does have a ton of broken tackles but he lacks consistent production on the ground (or anywhere). Daniel Jones is one of the fastest runners in the NFL by literal GPS but he doesn't run consistently enough for it to move the needle.

4 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Lamar Jackson and Kyler Murray didn't run a 40 yard dash at their combine or their pro day, lol.

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah Lamar Jackson and Michael Vick (And Kyler Murray just for good measure) put up fantastic 40 times at the combine. I seem to have lost track of them though. Could you please post them on here for me?

Point taken although I think Vick ran a 4.3.  But the comparison to these guys athletically are laughable

2 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I don't think speed will be a big issue for Willis per se but rather if he has the skills to weaponize it at the NFL level. He does have a ton of broken tackles but he lacks consistent production on the ground (or anywhere). Daniel Jones is one of the fastest runners in the NFL by literal GPS but he doesn't run consistently enough for it to move the needle.

He rushed for over 1,800 yards and 27 TD during his two seasons at Liberty and literally broke more tackles than any player in college football last season. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He reportedly ran a 4.37 during spring practice while he was at Auburn, lol.

I heard it was from a guy hand taping from a youtube video he saw :)

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He rushed for over 1,800 yards and 27 TD during his two seasons at Liberty and literally broke more tackles than any player in college football last season. 

Against what caliber defense?  Louisiana Monroe?

I am just saying you shouldn't make him into something he isn't.  

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

I heard it was from a guy hand taping from a youtube video he saw :)

Against what caliber defense?  Louisiana Monroe?

I am just saying you shouldn't make him into something he isn't.  

We'll never have an official time but he doesn't look slow on tape, lol.

Trey Lance had like one start against division two competition in his final season and that didn't scare the 49ers off. 

Willis to me looks like Jalen Hurts with more juice both as a runner and in terms of arm strength.

Just now, NYRaider said:

We'll never have an official time but he doesn't look slow on tape, lol.

Trey Lance had like one start against division two competition in his final season and that didn't scare the 49ers off. 

Willis to me looks like Jalen Hurts with more juice both as a runner and in terms of arm strength.

No doubt, I just don't want to compare him to the fastest of the fastest.  I do think Willis is a hell of an athlete and whoever drafts him should lean on that to help him transition to an nfl offense.  

I like your hurts comparison and willis undoubtedly has a stronger arm, although isn't as good as a passer.  Meh on Trey Lance.  He rode pine all season.  He might turn into a success, but so far he is a failure.  To me that trade looks idiotic if he can't beat jimmy g out.  You trade that many picks and your guy better be ready.  Willis likely won't have the luxury of sitting on the bench. 

1 minute ago, offbyone said:

No doubt, I just don't want to compare him to the fastest of the fastest.  I do think Willis is a hell of an athlete and whoever drafts him should lean on that to help him transition to an nfl offense.  

I like your hurts comparison and willis undoubtedly has a stronger arm, although isn't as good as a passer.  Meh on Trey Lance.  He rode pine all season.  He might turn into a success, but so far he is a failure.  To me that trade looks idiotic if he can't beat jimmy g out.  You trade that many picks and your guy better be ready.  Willis likely won't have the luxury of sitting on the bench. 

Yeah Willis is definitely a project player and likely at least a year away from being ready to start. Although if he is forced into action early I think his ability as a runner will help him be at least passable. 

Hurts passing numbers during his first two seasons at Alabama are almost identical to the numbers that Willis had the last two years at Liberty. He saw a big jump across the board once he went to Oklahoma in a much more QB friendly offense. That's one of the things that makes the Willis evaluation so difficult, he didn't play in an offense with a lot of pro concepts, didn't play great competition, and because he was their best player by far he was always the focal point of opposing defenses.

I think it's way too early to make any assertion on Trey Lance, positive or negative. The plan was always for him to sit behind Jimmy as a rookie and develop. I thought that he looked good against the Texans and showed noticeable improvement in comparison to his earlier start against the Cardinals. The 49ers were a play or two away from making the Super Bowl last season with Jimmy at QB, Lance's skillset, if he reaches his potential, could/should be the piece that pushes them over the top.

And with Willis I think that it just depends on where he lands. If he ends up somewhere like Pittsburgh, Detroit, Atlanta, or even Seattle I don't think that he will be expected to start as a rookie.

• Like 1