Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Ridder's odds to be the first QB are becoming increasingly better as the days go on, fwiw. 

I think Greg Cosell nailed the take on Ridder: "Will eventually become a guy you can win with... as in, probably won't be the reason you win but can win with a great surrounding cast/defense"

Think: Joe Flacco, with more athleticism and less willing to throw it up deep.

Now, i think there's a chance Ridder could be better than that. I also think there's a chance his loopy throwing motion he's been working to correct might revert back to telegraphing passes when he gets under duress and the result would be him busting down to career backup a la Leftwich. But I keep going back to the thought of him vs Georgia, unwilling to push the ball into tighter windows when they needed him to carry the day. That felt very "Jared Goff in the NE Super Bowl" to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jebrick said:

I think Greg Cosell nailed the take on Ridder: "Will eventually become a guy you can win with... as in, probably won't be the reason you win but can win with a great surrounding cast/defense"

Now, i think there's a chance Ridder could be better than that. I also think there's a chance his loopy throwing motion he's been working to correct might revert back to telegraphing passes when he gets under duress and the result would be him busting down to career backup a la Leftwich. But I keep going back to the thought of him vs Georgia, unwilling to push the ball into tighter windows when they needed him to carry the day. That felt very "Jared Goff in the NE Super Bowl" to me.

I've seen him compared to Ryan Tannehill and thought that was a fairly accurate comparison for him. Daniel Jeremiah was just talking about Ridder and said that he has done wonders for his stock during the pre-draft process. He showed well for himself at the Senior Bowl and had a good combine. But he said the biggest thing has been how well he has done during the interview process. As a senior, 4 year starter I guess he has really impressed teams with his maturity/character and even though he may not be a 1st round player on film, he can see why teams would have faith in him improving. 

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I've seen him compared to Ryan Tannehill and thought that was a fairly accurate comparison for him. Daniel Jeremiah was just talking about Ridder and said that he has done wonders for his stock during the pre-draft process. He showed well for himself at the Senior Bowl and had a good combine. But he said the biggest thing has been how well he has done during the interview process. As a senior, 4 year starter I guess he has really impressed teams with his maturity/character and even though he may not be a 1st round player on film, he can see why teams would have faith in him improving. 

Thats what sold me on him tbf. His combine shows he's got some untapped potential athletically and his consistent improvement at the college level shows that he has upward momentum. I'm still not sure where I'd be comfortable taking him value wise but he's the only QB in this draft I would be comfortable drafting as a projected starter. Willis I at least understand, though I can't get there with him personally. The rest of the class I wouldn't bother with until day 3.

On 4/14/2022 at 6:03 AM, NYRaider said:

Ridder's odds to be the first QB are becoming increasingly better as the days go on, fwiw. 

I'd still put money on Malik Willis being the first QB off the board.  But I think we need to discuss when the QBs start going off the board.  Carolina at 6 is the first team that "needs", but they pick at 6 and then again at 137 which is a LONG time to go without a pick.  I think they're probably the first team to actively look to move down aside from Jacksonville.  I think if they could move back into that 8-12 range and get at least a Day 2 pick in return that would be the position they'd like to move to.  Atlanta at 8 has an obvious need, but rumors seem to be having them "punting" the 2022 season, and if the rumors about them wanting Jameson Williams are true then that pick would make sense here.  Seattle says they like Drew Lock, but I think they're probably more in the QB market later in the draft.  Probably Day 2.  Someone like Corral would make sense here.  Then you've got Washington at 11 (unlikely) and Philadelphia at 15 (unlikely) as potential QB landing spots, but not likely spots.  Then you've got New Orleans at 16 and 19 and Pittsburgh at 20 that probably are QB shopping with varying levels of interest.

I could see a situation in which the Texans take Travon Walker at 3, and then deal #13 along with their pair of 3rd round picks to move up for Sauce Gardner at 6.  Walking away with Walker and Gardner would be a hell of a start to building an elite defense.  For Carolina, you could probably still get a QB at 13 and pick up a few more picks.

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Carolina at 6 is the first team that "needs", but they pick at 6 and then again at 137 which is a LONG time to go without a pick. I think they're probably the first team to actively look to move down aside from Jacksonville.  I think if they could move back into that 8-12 range and get at least a Day 2 pick in return that would be the position they'd like to move to.  

The Panthers have reportedly been linked to Ridder more frequently as the draft has gotten closer. They interviewed him at the combine and are hosting him with one of their 30 visits as well. I'd guess that Matt Rhule's seat is fairly warm right now so if they do draft a QB early, ideally he'd be ready to start as a rookie. 

On 4/17/2022 at 3:48 AM, paul-mac said:

This going to be like 2013 where we all had guys like Nassib, Barkley, Geno Smith and Glennon in our mocks and then only 1 QB went in round one and it was a guy no one was talking about? 

Sometimes I just like to look back at the QBs drafted that year and laugh and laugh. 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Sometimes I just like to look back at the QBs drafted that year and laugh and laugh. 

To be fair Geno Smith, Mike Glennon and Matt Barkley have all managed to stick around for nearly a decade as backup QBs which is what you expect from a 3rd/4th round QB (Geno disappointing for a 2nd rounder)

The head scratcher is why on earth EJ Manuel was the top QB taken. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2022 at 3:48 AM, paul-mac said:

This going to be like 2013 where we all had guys like Nassib, Barkley, Geno Smith and Glennon in our mocks and then only 1 QB went in round one and it was a guy no one was talking about? 

When compared to the 2023 class?  Yes.  2023 class is going to be pretty deep

On 4/14/2022 at 1:07 PM, jebrick said:

Ridder is the safest QB pick in the draft. Quick decision maker (ball out less than 2.5 secs avg), plays within structure and can throw with anticipation. He and Willis are the only QBs worth taking in the first 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Ridder is the safest QB pick in the draft. Quick decision maker (ball out less than 2.5 secs avg), plays within structure and can throw with anticipation. He and Willis are the only QBs worth taking in the first 

Hearing a lot more buzz on Ridder and a lot less on Willis these last couple of weeks. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if only 2 QBs go in the first round and it’s the 2 that you mention. 

6 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

I could never call a QB who isn't accurate a safe pick. 

On 4/19/2022 at 5:53 AM, goldfishwars said:

I guess it depends on how you define safe.  If he's got intangibles close to what Malik has, then his floor is probably bad Marcus Mariota.  He'll be a difference maker with his legs, and if you can improve his reads on shifting defenses (which is one thing I seem to be alone on in evaluations--I think he often made decisions too quickly without reading the field; see the ND tape, where almost every time he made a really bad throw it was because of a defensive shift right before the snap that he didn't seem to see; more of that came up, though less often, against Bama) and get that accuracy up by even a hair, he'll be a guy that can play.  And he's got prototype measurables and a good arm.  But I think he carries more of a chance of being a guy that only plays like bad Marcus Mariota than someone like Pickett.

I'd call Pickett the safest myself.  I think he's the most pro ready, and the closest to a finished product, I just don't think that product is very good.  More athletic Jared Goff with more ball security issues.  If you think those make him less safe, then I get it.

I still put Willis a few notches above either one, but I have Ridder and Pickett as pretty close as far as overall grade, though for very, very different reasons.