Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He has an absolute cannon for an arm and is special as a runner/making plays outside the script of the offense. In two years as a starter Allen had 44 TD/21 INT/56% comp, while Willis had 48 TD/18 INT/62% comp. 

Plus playing against high school teams while in college makes him look like a man among boys.

41 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Because right now I think he is a dollar store Kyler Murray. He's Kyler Murray as a prospect but considerably worse at everything. Am I wrong on that?

You're not wrong. It's just your reasoning is 📉. 😏

I don't think his height has anything to do with anything. And he's hella athletic. He'll make impressive runs and scrambles for sure. And he does have the biggest arm in this class. 

But everything else he'll need to learn.

53 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He's 6ft tall, has a poor college career completion percentage and had 5 games with less than 175 yards passing last year. People want to make it sound like his attributes outweigh his measurements and production when in reality they don't IMO.

If your going to be successful as a 6ft tall QB out of a nothing school you better be a special athlete, but he's not Kyle Murray athletic. If your not a freak athletic you better have incredible touch/accuracy from the pocket, but hes nowhere close to Brees as a traditional passer.

College stats literally mean nothing, Josh Allen's college stats were terrible, the draft is about projection. It's not like he had some superstar cast or great coaching staff around him. 

Malik Willis is certainly a special athlete, dude broke more tackles as a runner than any player in the draft regardless of position and has 4.4 speed, lol. Kyler wasn't even considered an NFL prospect coming into his final season at Oklahoma. How is top tier arm strength, elite ability as a runner, and top tier speed not = special athlete? 

6 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I don't think his height has anything to do with anything. And he's hella athletic. He'll make impressive runs and scrambles for sure. And he does have the biggest arm in this class. 

I don't think he's anything like Kyler Murray, he's like Jalen Hurts with a significantly stronger arm. 

50 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

If your going to be successful as a 6ft tall QB out of a nothing school you better be a special athlete, but he's not Kyle Murray athletic. If your not a freak athletic you better have incredible touch/accuracy from the pocket, but hes nowhere close to Brees as a traditional passer.

He is a freakish athlete.

Do we know if he can go through multiple reads? Read a defense? Make tight window throws in coverage? Because right now it just sounds like everybody is trying to sell the fact that he is fun outside the pocket and has a cannon. 

Yes there are plenty of examples of him going through multiple reads and making tight window throws. Some good stuff in the video below that show he has the ability to get though reads and also shows how big of a train wreck his OL was.

Like where does he fall? Because right now I think he is a dollar store Kyler Murray. He's Kyler Murray as a prospect but considerably worse at everything. Am I wrong on that?

Willis is a freakish athlete. He's probably a better athlete than Murray and has a stronger arm. Not saying he isn't raw, but I think you are underselling his abilities. 

10 hours ago, Falconof Shadows said:

I don't think I can agree with this. Watching his tape I've seen him thrown plenty of tight throws. My concerns are the lack of throws outside the numbers. Not just him not throwing to WRs outside allot but the lack of routes I see. I think I saw 3 out routes in 5 games. Is that Corral, the scheme, or the scheme because of Corral

I have watched the Tenn. game and I disagree.  He would pull down the bal and run rather than throw into a tight window.  Could be that he is overly cautious but either arm or caution, I would not want him on my team in the NFL.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Which sounds like Trey Lances film which was nothing but running around in circles and throwing deep balls to wide open WRs against Juco level opponents.

You clearly didn't watch Trey Lance tape. 

He mostly just ran straight forward, not around in circles :P

10 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

So why does height seem to matter for every other QB prospect in recent history but somehow doesnt apply to Willis especially considering he has a low sidearm release?

IDK, Im happy to be wrong if he turns out to be great. I wasnt on board with Zach Wilson or Trey Lance last year because I thought they were massively overhyped and teams ignored a TON of questions they had and this year Im not on board with Willis for the same reasons.

Edited by AkronsWitness

10 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

PGJq.gif

Kyler Murray- 5'10" 207lbs reported hand time of 4.38 in the 40 (likely somewhere in the 4.4 range with electronic timing)

Malik Willis- 6' 220lbs reported hand time of reported hand time of 4.37 in the 40 (likely somewhere in the 4.4 range with electronic timing). 

In other words, Willis is about 10lbs-15lbs bigger than Murray. Willis is every bit as fast. Both are very quick making cuts and making people miss in the open field. Willis is a more powerful runner. 

I think there is an argument for Willis being a bit better athlete. Worst case they are very similar athletically.

Edited by tyler735

10 hours ago, tyler735 said:

He is a freakish athlete.

Yes there are plenty of examples of him going through multiple reads and making tight window throws. Some good stuff in the video below that show he has the ability to get though reads and also shows how big of a train wreck his OL was.

Willis is a freakish athlete. He's probably a better athlete than Murray and has a stronger arm. Not saying he isn't raw, but I think you are underselling his abilities. 

This is one I agree with you on. Willis has a ceiling and style similar to that of Warren Moon. He's not Michael Vick because he's just better as a passer than Vick was during his time in Atlanta and he can develop into one way better.

Willis is a dynamic runner, but I doubt he's as fast as Murray. He's stout and has great agility, so he breaks a lot of tackles, but I don't see Mike Vick/Lamar Jackson/Kyler Murray speed. His running style is more Trey Lance (albeit faster) than those guys. Willis has potential, but he's not as good of a prospect as Lance. Lance is much taller, has an even stronger arm, and protects the ball much better.

5 hours ago, scar988 said:

He's not Michael Vick because he's just better as a passer than Vick was during his time in Atlanta and he can develop into one way better.

Although Mike Vick as a passer in ATL isn't a high bar to clear I don't even think that it is true for Willis. He has a A+ arm but apart from that he isn't that good of a passer. 

Edited by MagicMT

1 hour ago, MagicMT said:

Although Mike Vick as a passer in ATL isn't a high bar to clear I don't even think that it is true for Willis. He has a A+ arm but apart from that he isn't that good of a passer. 

He's much more accurate than Michael Vick ever was in Atlanta, already. There's no doubt about it to me.