Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I think Coan has more upside than that. 

Maybe. 

When I see him I think Case Keenum type career. It wouldn't at all shock me if he had some nominal starter success at one point, but ultimately you really just want him as a top tier back up .

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Maybe. 

When I see him I think Case Keenum type career. It wouldn't at all shock me if he had some nominal starter success at one point, but ultimately you really just want him as a top tier back up .

That's probably realistic. My comparison for him is Brian Hoyer. But I do think he has the upside of somebody like Kirk Cousins. 

1 hour ago, TheEagle said:

I read Clayton Thorson as a comparison for Coan. That seemed like a decent comp to me.

I disagree. Thorson wasn't a good decision maker. He was a very turnover prone QB. NFL teams liked him because he had all the physical attributes of the prototypical NFL pocket passer. Coan sees the field far better than Thorson did and makes better decisions, even if he is conservative with the ball.

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

He was an UDFA after his final year at Wisconsin.

His final year at Wisconsin...

He played ONE year. 

He didn't play in 2020 due to injury. 

Why are you trying to make it out like there was extensive tape on him over a multi-year stint at Wisconsin? He missed a year with injury And his stock didn't arbitrarily rise? Shocker! 

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

His final year at Wisconsin...

He played ONE year. 

He didn't play in 2020 due to injury. 

Why are you trying to make it out like there was extensive tape on him over a multi-year stint at Wisconsin? He missed a year with injury And his stock didn't arbitrarily rise? Shocker! 

When did I EVER say he played extensively over multiple years?  You projected a significant jump from him in 2020 had he been healthy, which I'd argue has zero basis in reality.  Comparing him to Davis Mills is mind-boggling considering that Mills was a top-15 prospect according to 247 Sports coming out of HS, and struggled to stay healthy in college.  Coan wasn't even a top 100 prospect.  Mills was significantly more talented then Coan.

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

That's probably realistic. My comparison for him is Brian Hoyer. But I do think he has the upside of somebody like Kirk Cousins. 

I feel like Cousins' may be a biiiiit high for Coan as far as upside. 

That said, I can accept it. My comp would probably be a tad lower- Matt Moore. Type of guy you're not getting rid of easily with a rookie, probably field some calls about at some point, but likely never becomes a long term starter despite plenty of people thinking that he probably could have been. 

There was a time where I would've easily had Matt Moore in the top 32 of QBs despite being a tenured backup. I always felt like he could've found some decent success if a team bought into him for a couple of years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

When did I EVER say he played extensively over multiple years?  You projected a significant jump from him in 2020 had he been healthy, which I'd argue has zero basis in reality.  Comparing him to Davis Mills is mind-boggling considering that Mills was a top-15 prospect according to 247 Sports coming out of HS, and struggled to stay healthy in college.  Coan wasn't even a top 100 prospect.  Mills was significantly more talented then Coan.

That's how PROJECTIONS work bud. 

You keep harping on what he was after his last year at Wisconsin- when he didn't play. Of course his stock didn't rise after sitting out a year. 

He has probably made his way into 6th/7th round draftability based on his 2021. Had he played in 2020 with similar results as his 2019 and 2021 seasons, it's hardly a stretch to PROJECT he could likely have found himself more in the late 4th-5th round. Christ, you'd think people were projecting him as a 1st or 2nd rounder 🤦🏼‍♂️

As for Mills and his high school Rivals * rating, who cares? We could list failed 5* QBs all day long. 

2 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That's how PROJECTIONS work bud. 

You keep harping on what he was after his last year at Wisconsin- when he didn't play. Of course his stock didn't rise after sitting out a year. 

He has probably made his way into 6th/7th round draftability based on his 2021. Had he played in 2020 with similar results as his 2019 and 2021 seasons, it's hardly a stretch to PROJECT he could likely have found himself more in the late 4th-5th round. Christ, you'd think people were projecting him as a 1st or 2nd rounder 🤦🏼‍♂️

As for Mills and his high school Rivals * rating, who cares? We could list failed 5* QBs all day long. 

I could project that Colt McCoy could be a top 5 QB next year if he was given the number of snaps needed.  It's still not based on reality.  Coan was an average QB in 2019.  He did a really good job of completing passes and limiting turnovers, but he clearly wasn't a QB who could get over the hump.  In their two games against Ohio State, he went 27-50 (54%), 340 passing yards (6.8 YPA), 1 TD, and 0 INT.  Against the rest of the schedule, he went 212-289 (73.4%), 2387 passing yards (8.3 YPA), 17 TD, and 5 INT.  Hell, in their 4 losses he was a combined 74-117 (63.2%), 790 passing yards (6.9 YPA), 3 TD, and 2  INT.  He played really well against bad competition, and was a big reason why they lost the other games.  Ohio State didn't respect him throwing the ball.  Oregon didn't respect him throwing the ball.  The reason why Wisconsin was successful was because Coan limited the turnovers, and Jonathan Taylor was dynamic.

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I disagree. Thorson wasn't a good decision maker. He was a very turnover prone QB. NFL teams liked him because he had all the physical attributes of the prototypical NFL pocket passer. Coan sees the field far better than Thorson did and makes better decisions, even if he is conservative with the ball.

He does, but part of that may be supporting cast. Coan looked like Thorson when he played against teams that Notre Dame's offensive personnel wasn't clearly better than (he looked awful against Wisconsin and Cincinnati). Same held true last year in Wisconsin when they played Ohio State and Oregon. What gives me hope about Coan is the bowl game against Oklahoma State. I think as far as measurables and arm talent, they are pretty comparable. Thorson's Northwestern teams didn't have good offensive personnel around him and were often overmatched on that side of the ball. Thorson, like Brock Purdy, never seemed to get better in college though. I like Coan more. 

On 4/2/2022 at 3:49 AM, ronjon1990 said:

If I was picking a QB, I'd wait til day 3. 

Jack Coan, all day. Dude is 2022 Davis Mills 

Everyone gushed over Wilson, Lawrence, and Fields last year, and none had significantly worse situations than Mills, yet he arguably outperformed all of them. 

Not as much upside as those 3, just a solid QB prospect. An already good team could probably start Mills for the next 8+ years and remain competitive (a'la Jones in New England). 

For this year, Coan is that prospect for me. He won't excite a fan base, won't go high, and if he starts certainly won't reinvent the wheel or last new records. But I bet a good team could take him, plug him in, and scratch QB off the list for a bit- especially in years where QB classes are down. 

I'm hoping we take him. Seems like the type of QB McDaniels could take, coach up, and keep long term as a backup or possibly flip a few years down the road. 

I sincerely believe he'd get at least 3rd round hype had he not missed 2020 and some games in 2021 with an injury. 

Coan is the long term Burrow back up draft pick I want for the Bengals that I know won't happen.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-insider-notes-factors-that-fueled-eagles-saints-draft-trade-plus-optimism-for-top-qb-prospects/

"Two top-10 QBs?

Newsflash: NFL evaluators are largely higher on this class of quarterbacks than the media, and the three teams I spoke with early this week all believe two passers are going in the top 10 picks. At least two.

It's been all the rage to tear these kids down, but execs I speak to who aren't in the market to draft a top QB -- and therefore have less to gain or lose by lying about their true feelings about them -- continue to posit that the run on them will start quite early. Possibly, with the Lions at second overall, and surely by the time the Panthers (sixth overall) and Falcons (eighth overall) are on the clock.

It's been all the rage to tear these kids down, but execs I speak to who aren't in the market to draft a top QB -- and therefore have less to gain or lose by lying about their true feelings about them -- continue to posit that the run on them will start quite early. Possibly, with the Lions at second overall, and surely by the time the Panthers (sixth overall) and Falcons (eighth overall) are on the clock."

Must say I tend to agree. I think both Malik Willis and Kenny Pickett are worth taking in the top 15 picks. Willis I could definitely see going around the 5th pick as his ceiling is incredibly high.