Official 2022 QB Thread

NYRaider

Anyone have any thoughts on the Cal Berkeley QB Chase Garbers?

I see him as a potential 6-UDFA future QB, learned from Bill Musgrave recently at Cal which has ties to many NFL offenses and should help transition. I didn't see anything about him being in this class until recently and I think he's in the draftable tier. Good mobility, okay arm strength, has a decent looking release and in the little I've watched has a catchable and fairly accurate ball. Looks like an off the field winner that contributes in digesting playbooks and would be a fine addition to a QB room which is important to me in a late rounder that isn't just a traits based developmental guy.

Edited by Trojan

5 hours ago, Trojan said:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Cal Berkeley QB Chase Garbers?

I see him as a potential 6-UDFA future QB, learned from Bill Musgrave recently at Cal which has ties to many NFL offenses and should help transition. I didn't see anything about him being in this class until recently and I think he's in the draftable tier. Good mobility, okay arm strength, has a decent looking release and in the little I've watched has a catchable and fairly accurate ball. Looks like an off the field winner that contributes in digesting playbooks and would be a fine addition to a QB room which is important to me in a late rounder that isn't just a traits based developmental guy.

I may be the only one, but I agree. I was disappointed he didn’t get a combine invite. I have a draftable  grade on him. He’s QB10 for me.

Edited by TheEagle
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts on Matt Corral? 

He scares me with the huge amount of check downs and short passes he threw.  Is that a product of the offense and his Oline?  He has average NFL arm strength.  I almost want to say below average but he can get the ball outside the numbers okay.  Has good leadership and mobility. Mid 2nd round 

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

He scares me with the huge amount of check downs and short passes he threw.  Is that a product of the offense and his Oline?  He has average NFL arm strength.  I almost want to say below average but he can get the ball outside the numbers okay.  Has good leadership and mobility. Mid 2nd round 

I've seen him start to get more first round buzz, I was never overly impressed by him when I watched Ole Miss though.

QBs get over valued just like OG and safeties get undervalued.  He might go in the 1st.  I would worry about the lack of 10-20 yard passes on tape for him.  Again, did the offense go in that direction because of his strengths or the line weakness or is that just the offense that they run.

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

QBs get over valued just like OG and safeties get undervalued.  He might go in the 1st.  I would worry about the lack of 10-20 yard passes on tape for him.  Again, did the offense go in that direction because of his strengths or the line weakness or is that just the offense that they run.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of any of the QB outside of Willis. How do you rank them?

Willis is a boom bust QB but the only one with the potential ceiling worth taking a risk on.  He should be the 1st QB off the board.  

After that I would go Ridder, then Pickett, Howell and Corral.

I am scared enough of Strong's knees that I would drop him down to at least the 3rd but perhaps lower.

Of the others, I like Cole Kelly the best.  He has everything a NFL QB needs but LOC knocks him down.  YMMV

Honestly, I would take at least 4 of the 2023 QBs over anyone in this class.  Maybe 5 but at least 4.

16 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Willis is a boom bust QB but the only one with the potential ceiling worth taking a risk on.  He should be the 1st QB off the board.  

After that I would go Ridder, then Pickett, Howell and Corral.

I am scared enough of Strong's knees that I would drop him down to at least the 3rd but perhaps lower.

Of the others, I like Cole Kelly the best.  He has everything a NFL QB needs but LOC knocks him down.  YMMV

Honestly, I would take at least 4 of the 2023 QBs over anyone in this class.  Maybe 5 but at least 4.

Yeah you have talked about Cole Kelley a lot in the past, and honestly considering the lack of depth in this QB group he could totally be a late round pick.  Teams love big QBs and the guy can obviously stand in the pocket and throw the ball downfield.  I do not recall him standing out at the combine, did he throw at the combine?  If so it was not super impressive but again at that size could be a great late rounder.  

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Yeah you have talked about Cole Kelley a lot in the past, and honestly considering the lack of depth in this QB group he could totally be a late round pick.  Teams love big QBs and the guy can obviously stand in the pocket and throw the ball downfield.  I do not recall him standing out at the combine, did he throw at the combine?  If so it was not super impressive but again at that size could be a great late rounder.  

Kelly threw in the same group as Howell ( group 1 IIRC).  He had a better arm then all of the other QBs in that group including Howell.  He also threw for the defensive players.  He will have the same route as Tony Romo trying to get noticed by throwing a lot at the combine.  I will bet he goes by the 5th round.

Kelly is ranked lower because the first time 99% of the media sees him is in the NFLPA Bowl.  It is the same for many of the smaller school players.  I know someone who has scouted these guys for years.  There are teams that have talked to Kelly and show interest.  Does that mean he is drafted?  Nope.  But teams are not relying on the internet scouts for their player evaluations ( I hope).

Edited by jebrick

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts on Matt Corral? 

Wouldn’t touch him. Dude hasn’t run anything resembling an NFL offense, so you may as well stick him in the huge project bin with Willis and Ridder. And he’s not as athletic as those two and his arm isn’t as strong. But he is more accurate, at least.

Jebrick’s rankings are pretty good imo.

8 hours ago, Daniel said:

Wouldn’t touch him. Dude hasn’t run anything resembling an NFL offense, so you may as well stick him in the huge project bin with Willis and Ridder. And he’s not as athletic as those two and his arm isn’t as strong. But he is more accurate, at least.

Jebrick’s rankings are pretty good imo.

Corral is coming out of an RPO like Willis but he's had much more exposure to turning reads and against much better competition.

He's not as athletic as Willis but I think his running ability is underrated. He's quick, has good vision, and can turn into Taysom Hill in the open field. He's a better and stronger runner than Ridder. In fact, I think his toughness is also a negative given his size.

He's a system guy right now, but with a lightening quick release, generally good accuracy, and solid running/scrambling ability....if he's got some intuitive ability to pick up a more sophisticated offense, I think he could surprise people.

Same could be said for Willis but I think he has much farther to go as far as recognition, footwork and poise.

Ridder is the one I'm down on. For all his experience it doesn't really show. He's too mechanical and I don't like his poise.

Edited by BrownLeader
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 2:19 PM, BrownLeader said:

Ridder is the one I'm down on. For all his experience it doesn't really show. He's too mechanical and I don't like his poise.

Funny enough, he's the only one that I've been mildly sold on, mostly due to his smarts and upward trajectory (getting better over time). Still don't love him. I'm out on basically everyone else. Every single time I look at Pickett in particular, I like him less than before. I might have him in my DeShone Kizer Allstars soon (highly touted QBs that I think have no real shot at making it).

39 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Funny enough, he's the only one that I've been mildly sold on, mostly due to his smarts and upward trajectory (getting better over time). Still don't love him. I'm out on basically everyone else. Every single time I look at Pickett in particular, I like him less than before. I might have him in my DeShone Kizer Allstars soon (highly touted QBs that I think have no real shot at making it).

I've cooled on Pickett as well, I think he benefited from the Joe Burrow mania.