The Pass "Rush" After 7 Games

TheOnlyThing

9 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

The whole gripe at the beginning of the year revolved around depth not the starters and revolved around there is no way Perry and Mathews would stay healthy. Perry and Mathews have started and played in almost every game beginning to end. You can't just move the bar to fit your narrative whenever something goes wrong and say "I told you so".  If you want to blame TT, Capers, and McCarthy for anything I think its the lack foresight to see how little impact Clay Mathews has been having at OLB

Point out one post of yours before the year started where you said even if Perry and Mathews started all 16 games they would be a weak duo. 

What? Seriously? 

Clay's decline in play (and sacks) has been a hot topic for several years running now. And Clay's lack of impact at OLB was certainly a subject of considerable angst and discussion well before the 2017 season began.

Half or more of this board commented on what should be done with a guy who was paid so much and produced so little the past two seasons. Again, 6.5 and 5 sacks while being one of the highest-paid OLBs in the game. 

If you want to absolve TT, Capers, and McCarthy because they could never have foreseen that Clay would only have 2.5 sacks despite playing 80% of the snaps, so be it , but let's not pretend such limited production should come as a complete surprise.

As for me, I certainly agreed with many others that Clay is not a top flight pass rusher anymore and has not been in quite some time, when I expressed strong misgivings about the OLB position generally last April:

Clay, on the other hand, is about to turn 31. He returned to OLB last season after 1.5 where he played primarily in the middle. He's only had 1 double digit season of sacks in the past 4 (and just 6.5 and 5 the past two seasons). There is every reason to believe Clay Matthews' best seasons as a pass rushing outside linebacker are behind him. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I keep challenging you to find a GM better at drafting than Ted Thompson and you literally ignore it every single time.    

I agree with you on a LOT of your criticisms of Thompson.  A LOT of them, especially our lack of a pass rush this year. 

To your latter point, I fully acknowledge HZ that you are not in the Ted Thompson can do no wrong camp. I really do.

As for Ted's drafting prowess, I'll repeat my positions, yet again.

Ted has been the GM for 13 years.

The Packer drafts during the first 6 years (2005-2010) that TT was GM were not good. THEY WERE OUTSTANDING. REALLY OUTSTANDING.

(AND I SAY THAT DESPITE THE FACT THAT I THINK THE THREE HIGHEST PICKS DURING THIS SPAN WERE EITHER MEDIOCRE [HAWK & RAJI] OR BAD [ HARRELL]).

However, when I keep reading statements in 2017 from the TT fans such as ""You look at [TT's] draft record and it stands up as well as anyone's" I've got to ask if there is any evidence to support that view with respect to the past 6 drafts (2011-2016). (CWood has taken up the challenge and I look forward to seeing what he comes up with. If he can prove Ted is the best drafter in the NFL, or at least as good as every other GM in the NFL, I'll acknowledge the point).

Until then, I'll continue to believe the drafting has fallen off during the second half of TT's tenure.

On 11/10/2017 at 12:56 PM, TheOnlyThing said:

To your latter point, I fully acknowledge HZ that you are not in the Ted Thompson can do no wrong camp. I really do.

There is NOBODY in here that is in that camp, so you can stop making up crap now.

12 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There is NOBODY in here that is in that camp, so you can stop making up crap now.

it's literally the only thing he does on here:

step (1): invent argument nobody in real life made

step (2): argue against it, drawing loosely upon nuanced points actually made, likely thinking it is directly arguing against a real viewpoint

step (3): get jollies?

step (4): everyone loses.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

it's literally TheOnlyThing he does on here:

step (1): invent argument nobody in real life made

step (2): argue against it, drawing loosely upon nuanced points actually made, likely thinking it is directly arguing against a real viewpoint

step (3): get jollies?

step (4): everyone loses.

lol

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

aha

I saw that and I was like "did that autocorrect? did I actually type that? NICE JOB!" oh wait, that was norm...

hahahaha, I wasn't sure if you would notice right away or not. I was being half sneaky.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping Biegel would add a little bit to the pass rush, but so far that has not happened. Vince and Fackrell were equally useless going up against the Steelers backup RT tonight.

Brooks had a nice tip on the screen that led to the Martinez interception, but also added little on the rush. Perry had a very quiet night, with just 1 assisted tackle and no pressures.

The lone sack by Daniels came as a result of Big Ben holding on for a long time due to coverage.

Even if Aaron comes back and the team miraculously makes it to the playoffs the pass rush is so lacking that it is hard to envision the Pack advancing very far.

Archived