The Pass "Rush" After 7 Games

TheOnlyThing

21 minutes ago, pollino14 said:

What's everyone's views on Nick Perry the pass rusher? I really think he's made his money feasting on sub par competition, and disappears when anyone descent is lined up against him.

Perry is pretty good but he, like other above average (notice I didn't say elite) pass rushers benefit from having another pass rusher so he doesn't get all the attention.

1 hour ago, pollino14 said:

What's everyone's views on Nick Perry the pass rusher? I really think he's made his money feasting on sub par competition, and disappears when anyone descent is lined up against him.

Perry is a tier 2 player. He's a guy that would probably have 12 sacks if he played opposite of Von Miller, but playing opposite of Clay Matthews circa 2016-2017, he's an 8 sack type of guy most years IMO. Also doesn't help that he breaks his hand every year. He's a solid player, but will never be elite. 

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Perry is a tier 2 player. He's a guy that would probably have 12 sacks if he played opposite of Von Miller, but playing opposite of Clay Matthews circa 2016-2017, he's an 8 sack type of guy most years IMO. Also doesn't help that he breaks his hand every year. He's a solid player, but will never be elite. 

I think that's a good assessment. He's most certainly an upper end #2 guy. 

Perry has one move to smack the hands and go around the edge.  Other than that, he can do a solid bull rush.  He needs to add some moves to his repertoire and I really think he could make a mid-career leap.

Like other have said, Perry is an above average pass rusher.  But he's a good player all around and vs the run.  He has no major flaws in his game and he plays good team defense.  I've never watched a play and been like "wow, perry what are you even doing?"

16 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Perry has one move to smack the hands and go around the edge.  Other than that, he can do a solid bull rush.  He needs to add some moves to his repertoire and I really think he could make a mid-career leap.

Like other have said, Perry is an above average pass rusher.  But he's a good player all around and vs the run.  He has no major flaws in his game and he plays good team defense.  I've never watched a play and been like "wow, perry what are you even doing?"

Will he ever developed those moves? Think at this point he is what he is. 

The DL play (and I count OLB in there) has been the weak link of the defense this year. The secondary has played well in a lot of spots, ILBs have been good and Martinez is in my top 5 Packers on this team. No secondary can hold up when the QB has all day to survey the field and chill in the pocket. The pass rush hasn't been average, it's been awful. Say what you will but I still think this team is 1 good OLB and 1 good CB away from being a really good D in the NFC. If King makes the year 2 jump and Randall continues to ball, the secondary should be good with one serviceable outside guy. I feel the same way about OLB. A top pick and some journeyman ala Ahmad Brooks (Conor Barwin, whatever) and that will be good. 

IMO we need to replenish the trenches with young talent and things will start being VERY different for this unit. 

4 hours ago, Kenrik said:

Check out @VeteranScout’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/VeteranScout/status/9935998547811475456?s=09

Not sure how to directly post the GIF. Is Kyler trying to get the flag here or is this another embarrassing play.

I don't think it's either. He recognized it was a quick pass, tried to get his hands up and didn't get the ball. Why he chose to fall down I have no idea but it certainly looks intentional. 

That video might look different in non slow motion though.

Perry, Daniels, and Clark are three pieces of a championship caliber pass rush.

We need OLB 2, OLB 3, and 3-Tech 2

Clay, Brooks, and Lowry are not the pieces of a championship caliber pass rush. Maybe Brooks is as a #3 guy, but man our pressure package is punchless right now. 

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clay, Brooks, and Lowry are not the pieces of a championship caliber pass rush. Maybe Brooks is as a #3 guy, but man our pressure package is punchless right now. 

Still think Clay can be a #3 if we had a really good #1.  Would love to have Matthews here next year while adding a #1 pass rusher.  Think his value as a backup/depth to every linebacker position is worth 11 million for a year. 

Archived