Dak's Progression

MightyMouse07

So far through 6 games, Dak's numbers look very good. His TD% has increased, more yards, and more TDs. He also struggled with accuracy and has 4 INTs already. He probably should have a few more. 

62.7%, 1,426 yds, 14 TDs, 4 INTs. 

Dak is using his legs more and already has 3 TDs in 6 games.

How are you feeling about Dak in Year 2 now? Is he someone that will be sticking around for a long time or is he going to be one of those QBs that is good enough to be considered a starter but not someone who can put you over the top?

Dallas has their QB for the next decade. Has made some minor regressions, but think that is probably just part of trying to do too much, being too perfect and not letting things come to him naturally. He definitely has the ability to get Dallas to a SB, but like every team, he has to have the right people around him. If Dallas can put together a defense, they are in the driver's seat. Dak can lead the offense. 

5 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

So far through 6 games, Dak's numbers look very good. His TD% has increased, more yards, and more TDs. He also struggled with accuracy and has 4 INTs already. He probably should have a few more. 

62.7%, 1,426 yds, 14 TDs, 4 INTs. 

Dak is using his legs more and already has 3 TDs in 6 games.

How are you feeling about Dak in Year 2 now? Is he someone that will be sticking around for a long time or is he going to be one of those QBs that is good enough to be considered a starter but not someone who can put you over the top?

Time will tell of course, but everything I see says he will be at least a very good one, and maybe even a great one. He was a MVP level player last year. It is really hard to go up from there. What sold me on Dak wasn't his regular season success rate last year, but his remarkable poise in BIG games and situations for the most part. Having big balls can NOT be taught. I believe you either have it or you don't Dak has it IMO. 

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Dallas has their QB for the next decade. Has made some minor regressions, but think that is probably just part of trying to do too much, being too perfect and not letting things come to him naturally. He definitely has the ability to get Dallas to a SB, but like every team, he has to have the right people around him. If Dallas can put together a defense, they are in the driver's seat. Dak can lead the offense. 

Also agree with this.

Yeah I mean he's been great. He obviously had a fantastic RotY season last year that had him trending in a great direction. 

Critics(eagles fans) were throwing out RG3, Foles, and Vince Young comparisons. Saying he will be a one hit wonder.

A year later, through 7 weeks Dak is quietly leading the ENTIRE league in Fantasy points per game. Take that for what it is, but typically if you are doing that then you are doing well(better than anyone) in gaining yards and scoring points.  He also just became the 3rd QB in Cowboys history to pass for 3 TDs in 3 straight games(Aikman and Staubach never did this), and stood blow for blow with ARod(AGAIN).

Hell of a sophomore slump, huh?

He's the real deal. He can be inaccurate at times but his expert decision making masks it very well. Even when he is off the throws are mostly incomplete not intercepted.  He does very well at living to fight again, which tends to negate occasional inaccuracies.

I do think he is asked to do to much or, to be clear, play outside of his skill set.  I obviously blame that on Scott Linehan trying to run the Matt Stafford/Megatron offense. I think he and our offense were better when Linehan was playing TO Daks abilities(last year) instead of trying to turn him into a 5,000 yard passer and a league leader in attempts like he did Stafford. Even though I think that limits us at times as a team and plays away from our roster strength; I can't deny that this pass happy O may benefit Dak the most in the long run.

Bottom line: He is good and will get better.

As a second year player, it's hard to ask for much more. He has some issues still with his deep ball placement, but I expect it to be an area he only gets better. I believe he'll bring a Super Bowl to Dallas, assuming he has a competitive team around him.

Dak's best quality is his leadership intangibles. The man has ice in his veins. Never panics. He is unflappable even when faced with the greatest pressure. That cannot be taught. It is what separates the winners from the losers.Super Bowls have been won by QBs with less physical talent. We are set for the next decade.

He is seeing more of the field this year and has taken a.bigger step forward as an NFL signal caller. In the first 3 games we saw a lot of audibles and adjustments, which sometimes paid off and sometimes caused issues. We have seen less of this the last few games, and that is a good thing - this offense is designed to work a certain way and he is too inexperienced to have full reign over it. It took Tony years to be on that level..

But again, seeing the field as a whole has certainly enabled him to play down the field better. He is opening up to playing against the safeties more and more and utilizes his legs to buy the time to do so. I love how he is starting to manipulate the safeties more each game that passes.

His overall understanding of zone coverage has also shown improvement. Dak is able to more frequently diagnose the proper pass trajectory and rainbow in a perfect pass between the defenders.

Another area he has shown improvement is the ability to take something off short throws. This is an underrated ability. Many passers see the short area man open and rip it. But this can result in drops, misfires and miscues. To play calm and deliver a catchable ball on.time and accurately is key - not getting it there .25 seconds faster with bobbled catch potential or the risk of getting it out therr before the receivet is ready.

He is the best Qb to come out of his draft class.

Goff has imoroved, so has Wentz. But neither is playing the whole game on the level Dak is.

15 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

He is seeing more of the field this year and has taken a.bigger step forward as an NFL signal caller. In the first 3 games we saw a lot of audibles and adjustments, which sometimes paid off and sometimes caused issues. We have seen less of this the last few games, and that is a good thing - this offense is designed to work a certain way and he is too inexperienced to have full reign over it. It took Tony years to be on that level..

But again, seeing the field as a whole has certainly enabled him to play down the field better. He is opening up to playing against the safeties more and more and utilizes his legs to buy the time to do so. I love how he is starting to manipulate the safeties more each game that passes.

His overall understanding of zone coverage has also shown improvement. Dak is able to more frequently diagnose the proper pass trajectory and rainbow in a perfect pass between the defenders.

Another area he has shown improvement is the ability to take something off short throws. This is an underrated ability. Many passers see the short area man open and rip it. But this can result in drops, misfires and miscues. To play calm and deliver a catchable ball on.time and accurately is key - not getting it there .25 seconds faster with bobbled catch potential or the risk of getting it out therr before the receivet is ready.

He is the best Qb to come out of his draft class.

Goff has imoroved, so has Wentz. But neither is playing the whole game on the level Dak is.

Can you explain why you think Dak is another level than Carson Wentz?  I am curious to know what that would entail.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:11 PM, jonu62882 said:

Can you explain why you think Dak is another level than Carson Wentz?  I am curious to know what that would entail.

028540571_primary_none?$productlarge$&$i

If you were to say "they're close but I'm giving the edge to Dak" that's completely reasonable, but to say "Dak is on another level" is ludicrous at this point in time.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

If you were to say "they're close but I'm giving the edge to Dak" that's completely reasonable, but to say "Dak is on another level" is ludicrous at this point in time.

Yeah. Dak was on another level last year compared to Wentz, but that gap has been closed significantly/entirely in year 2.  Two should make Philly/Dallas rivalry interesting for the next decade. 

23 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

Yeah. Dak was on another level last year compared to Wentz, but that gap has been closed significantly/entirely in year 2.  Two should make Philly/Dallas rivalry interesting for the next decade. 

Agreed. Wentz is an emotional player who tended to panic or try too hard. This year he has managed to calm down. Dak is cerebral and always kept his efforts inside his performance envelope. As he gains experience his envelope is getting bigger. I don't see either QB as being better than the other. I also see two QBs who couldn't more different.

On 10/25/2017 at 8:11 PM, jonu62882 said:

I said Dak is playing THE WHOLE GAME better. Not that he is on a whole other level.

Dak makes every throw, and sees the ehole field. Makes reads Carson doesnt and adjustments and audibles. He is playing the whole position, while Carson is still limited in what hes asked to do.

Archived