Your top 5 pass rushers as of 2021

8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I dunno. Call me skeptical. DLaw was top 5 in those in 2019 and I didnt consider him to be an elite pass rusher.  

I’m not saying those stats made Young an elite pass rusher last year. I think there was a ton of room for improvement and last year was far from the best we’ll see out of him.  But I do think it shows his potential, and I feel comfortable projecting he’ll be top 5 this upcoming season and going forward (based on the rest of my post you quoted)

D Law is a weird case.  He’s put up elite or near-elite grades from PFF over the last several years, but his stats don’t often reflect that.  His problem may be that he can beat blocks at a relatively high rate but he’s not athletic or instinctual enough to consistently impact the play once he does.  He was also double-teamed at one of the lowest rates in the league this past season, so 2019 may have been an outlier for him.

Oh and by the way, Danielle Hunter is the youngest player in NFL history to reach 50 sacks.  

hunter-replay.gif

hunter-angle.gif?w=322

unnamed.gif

hunter-run-game.gif?w=389

Yeah he is kind of good.

giphy.gif

Granted maybe he sucks coming off that injury and is never the same player again, but if not and instead is full charged up, he could mess some dudes up this year.  

• Like 4

On 7/4/2021 at 8:22 AM, Ozzy said:

Oh and by the way, Danielle Hunter is the youngest player in NFL history to reach 50 sacks.  

hunter-replay.gif

hunter-angle.gif?w=322

unnamed.gif

hunter-run-game.gif?w=389

Yeah he is kind of good.

giphy.gif

Granted maybe he sucks coming off that injury and is never the same player again, but if not and instead is full charged up, he could mess some dudes up this year.  

Dude is an absolute beast gets severely overlooked because hes in purple and gold.

• Like 3

My list in no particular order not including AD

Danielle Hunter

Von Miller

Myles Garrett

CJ95

TJ Watt

I have a hard time putting any of the Bosa brothers in the list People tout Joey like hes a god send when it comes to rushing the passer but to me it seems like hes always hurt and has never had over 13 sacks in a year, Nick Bosa could be in the list but hes only had one year of production and had 9 sakcs that year on STACKED DL.

The biggest question for myles will be the condition of his lungs post covid. Some people getting scaring on  the lung tissue. 

Myles never recovered from the illness in season. Hopefully it was simply due to asthma. 

If he does recover he could be in for a big year as he has such improved secondary, with Newsome, hill and jj3. It will be harder to pass on cleveland. 

He has a chance at the sack record if all the ducks line up and a bit of luck.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

The biggest question for myles will be the condition of his lungs post covid. Some people getting scaring on  the lung tissue. 

Myles never recovered from the illness in season. Hopefully it was simply due to asthma. 

If he does recover he could be in for a big year as he has such improved secondary, with Newsome, hill and jj3. It will be harder to pass on cleveland. 

He has a chance at the sack record if all the ducks line up and a bit of luck.

Myles Garrett is going to get 23 sacks next year when he has never got 14 in his career?  Strahan for example had 14 and 15 back to back years a few years before his 22.5 sack season then had a 18.5 sack year a few years after that record breaking season.  So let us wait for Garrett to get 15 in a year before we predict he gets 23.  It should be an improved secondary though with Hill and Johnson who is very underrated as a safety is very good in coverage, has CB skills and played corner a lot at Boston College.  Clowney is the big key if he stays healthy that could be a monster DL, and they need one of the DTs to be get good and should happen got a lot of options in Malik Jackson, Billings, then Togiai, Elliott, Day, McDowell or Marvin Wilson.  Will be curious if all those guys make the roster, especially McDowell and Marvin Wilson.  Also have Weaver on the edge who is talented and Gustin, Jackson and McKinley.  

It is an impressive group depth wise and outside of the QB is probably the best roster in the NFL.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Myles Garrett is going to get 23 sacks next year when he has never got 14 in his career?  Strahan for example had 14 and 15 back to back years a few years before his 22.5 sack season then had a 18.5 sack year a few years after that record breaking season.  So let us wait for Garrett to get 15 in a year before we predict he gets 23.  It should be an improved secondary though with Hill and Johnson who is very underrated as a safety is very good in coverage, has CB skills and played corner a lot at Boston College.  Clowney is the big key if he stays healthy that could be a monster DL, and they need one of the DTs to be get good and should happen got a lot of options in Malik Jackson, Billings, then Togiai, Elliott, Day, McDowell or Marvin Wilson.  Will be curious if all those guys make the roster, especially McDowell and Marvin Wilson.  Also have Weaver on the edge who is talented and Gustin, Jackson and McKinley.  

It is an impressive group depth wise and outside of the QB is probably the best roster in the NFL.  

Yes.

He has gone a sack a game for 8 weeks in a row twice before injuries or covid derailed his performance. This is with a very limited supporting cast.

Our secondary was limited to one or two very strong games in that period. Vs receivers are almost immediately open after the snap.

The difference between this year's and last years secondary on paper is night and day. 

We go from the worst fs to a top 3 safety. 

We go from a a street free agent at corner to Greg Newsome and Hill, and maybe greedy willians

10 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Yes.

He has gone a sack a game for 8 weeks in a row twice before injuries or covid derailed his performance. This is with a very limited supporting cast.

Our secondary was limited to one or two very strong games in that period. Vs receivers are almost immediately open after the snap.

The difference between this year's and last years secondary on paper is night and day. 

We go from the worst fs to a top 3 safety. 

We go from a a street free agent at corner to Greg Newsome and Hill, and maybe greedy willians

True, but they also go from having their first playoff appearance in almost 20 years to now one could argue it is Super Bowl or bust.  So the expectations for the team and Myles Garrett are a hell of a lot higher this up coming year than last year.  Last year Myles Garrett's expectations was what, do no try to kill a dude with your helmet again and we are all good?  

So no one will be sleeping on them and will see if they can handle that type of pressure, they did last year very well in a COVID season with basically no one at any of the games for the most part.  Lucky for them Steelers losing Dupree was huge and the Ravens did not really add any great pass rushers unless Oweh becomes a star so that will help.  Also both teams had major changes on the OL, Steelers with pretty big downgrades and the Ravens I think they will miss Orlando Thomas Jr more than they think.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 8:13 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

He was also double-teamed at one of the lowest rates in the league this past season, so 2019 may have been an outlier for him.

I think he was in the 15-20 range in 2020; which would still be above average when you factor in there are 64 starting edge/rush players.

Top of my head....

Myles Garret, TJ Watt, Aaron Donald.  Top 3.

Mack and Hunter in there, probably with the Bosa's for the next 2.

Then you have a whole lot of really good guys like Barrett, Z Smith, Chase Young (could break out of this tier easily), Chandler Jones....just a lot of them.  Maybe JJ Watt is still in there, too.  Maybe even Vonn Miller.

But the best are Garrett, TJ, Donald, Mack and Hunter.  Mack may have slowed down some, but he's a pass rush beast.

Gonna be interesting watching the younger kids like Josh Allen, Rashan Gary, Montaz Sweat and Chase Young.  Surely I'm missing plenty, too.  

22 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Doesn't look like it:

EsNA0ZYXEAAB2xg?format=jpg&name=large

Interesting but let us be honest it can be a little on the deceptive side, Cameron Jordon, Trey Hendrickson, Emmanuel Ogbah and Za'Darius Smith are all in the same category range as as Ifedadi Odenigbo?  He was double teamed a lot last year?  He freaking sucked in his first year starting and they double teamed him?  Come on, some of this is just stat crap that looks great and is information but is not always telling the entire truth.  Odenigbo sucked last year by the way, had far less sacks and equal QB hits with way more snaps than the year before, I believe had 697 snaps 2020 and the year before had only 368.

So with this the guys in the upper right hand corner are great and the guys in the bottom left hand corner are not so much?  Leonard Floyd had his best year as a pro last season and JPP was a huge help to the Bucs winning the Super Bowl.  And what TJ Watt is not great because he was not double teamed as much?  Come on now, it just is deceptive like most stats can be if put in the wrong context.  

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

Top of my head....

Myles Garret, TJ Watt, Aaron Donald.  Top 3.

Mack and Hunter in there, probably with the Bosa's for the next 2.

Then you have a whole lot of really good guys like Barrett, Z Smith, Chase Young (could break out of this tier easily), Chandler Jones....just a lot of them.  Maybe JJ Watt is still in there, too.  Maybe even Vonn Miller.

But the best are Garrett, TJ, Donald, Mack and Hunter.  Mack may have slowed down some, but he's a pass rush beast.

Gonna be interesting watching the younger kids like Josh Allen, Rashan Gary, Montaz Sweat and Chase Young.  Surely I'm missing plenty, too.  

Josh Allen and the Jaguars will be interesting, switching to that 3/4 and having Chaisson on the other side.  Almost a too stacked ILB group with Schobert, Jack, Damien Wilson and Jacobs but Jacobs could play OLB and probably will in that 3/4, also have Dylan Moses and Quarterman at ILB and Dakota Allen.  New DL with Robertson-Harris and Malcolm Brown with Ward on the other end and Bryan who could be better in a 3/4 possibly, and Tufele should be good for them and Gotsis was a good pickup and they also have DaVon Hamilton who could be a sleeper NT for them potentially.  

34 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats not a complete list of all starting edge rushers, it makes it kinda hard to truly dissect. 

Bruh...

First of all, I'm sure it's a minimum threshold based on snaps played.  More to the point, how many more do you really need to see before it's clear Lawrence was double-teamed at one of the lowest rates in the league last year?

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Bruh...

First of all, I'm sure it's a minimum threshold based on snaps played.  More to the point, how many more do you really need to see before it's clear Lawrence was double-teamed at one of the lowest rates in the league last year?

I am just saying the stat is a little shaky due to it being a complete reversal of 2019 and it not being complete. A super quick count says thats about ~40 names. Which means its missing somewhere around 1/3 of the starting rushers. Additionally, just from looking at my team, it has Aldon Smith listed. Which is odd to me as he got limited snaps after about week 6ish. 

I just dont think this chart should be the be-all when it comes to judging top 5 guys. Especially after just 1 year. 

Of course, I am not providing any alternative, so feel free to ignore my opinion.