Packers close to agreement with Aaron Rodgers for 2021 season (Aaron Rodgers thread v3)

TheKillerNacho

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

That you mention "6 good blocks" shows that you do not follow the team like those of us who do.  MVS and especially Lazard have 6 good blocks a half, let alone an entire game.  Lazard's entire game is based off of how well he blocks inside and his physicality.  We aren't talking about blocking a corner or safety here, Lazard blocks ILB's, OLB's and DE's.  MVS gets a few inside blocks, but not to the extent that Lazard does.  MVS gets more outside blocks.  And to be fair, MVS is not at the blocking or physicality level of Lazard.

I looked at Shenault a lot coming out.  I thought he was one of the guys physical enough to play well in the system.  I liked him a lot.  I saw plenty of film on Shenault's physicality coming out that told me he could fit.  And despite not having great perceived speed, Shenault ran like a running back and I thought he could have fit in that jet-motion role that we used Ervin in last year.  Yah, I liked him a lot and I'll easily give it to you that he was one that I thought could come in right away and contribute.  Claypool was the other one that I thought could as well, though I didn't see the same level of physicality that Shenault had.  Potential was there, though.  

I did not see it out of Higgins (college).  Didn't watch him last year either to know if he could or could not block to the level that GB needs it's receivers to block.

I didn't look at Pittman at all.  

As I said earlier, I'm not taking any of them where Love was taken.  I'll take a QB over that kind of WR.  But, I'll also admit that I would have preferred a trade down scenario that would have landed Shenault or Claypool.

Although you’re still not providing ANY actual evidence of your assertions, I’ll still play this out. You’ve been saying how important blocking is to your wrs but then you don’t want to spend an early pick on something SO important to the offense. It doesn’t make sense. I

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

Rivers, Eli.  Each never played a down for their original team.

Farve, thought was a 2nd round pick

Good find. Which makes me all the more confident that the chances are significantly higher for Rodgers winning another ring than his hypothetical scenario.

In the time period of recent history to go off of, there were let’s assume roughly 3-4 first round QBs/yr over the last 20 years equals 70 1st round QBs. Only Eli and Rivers would qualify and so that’s roughly 1/35 chances of happening.

Now over the last 20 years there have been only two other QBs with a performance similar to Rodgers in terms of MVPs and production and they (Brady and Manning) both have/ended their careers with more than one ring. Even if we include Brees in there (even though he’s missing an MVP in there), that’s 2/4.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Although you’re still not providing ANY actual evidence of your assertions, I’ll still play this out. You’ve been saying how important blocking is to your wrs but then you don’t want to spend an early pick on something SO important to the offense. It doesn’t make sense. I

Because we have very good blocking WR's already.  I did want a WR when Love was picked.  But the value for a WR at that pick was not greater than the value of a QB.  Tis why I would have preferred a trade down, even over Love.

And when our next pick came up....value wasn't there either.  Shocker, which is why a trade down would have made sense.

What evidence are you looking for?  Browser history?  I told you I watched a lot of Shenault's stuff.  (Loved Shenalut for us) Claypool.  (Had some pretty serious skills for any offense.) Did not see much on Higgins, did not watch any Pittman. 

Should I record myself watching the Larry McCarren show week after week offering up his video evidence of blocking?  Should I video tape myself watching Packer games and hitting rewind to see why plays are successful?

Or you just have to admit that as much as you think you know about the Packers, us local fans have forgotten that much.  And that may seem arrogant, but it isn't.  I'm not claiming to know the details of any other team's offense.  Or defense.  Or schemes.  I don't see enough of any other team to know those details.  

I see so many people online saying things like “A front office has zero obligation to listen to their players about personal moves or such, their job is to play” No it’s not their obligation, but it’s important to. Rodgers isn’t saying he was making demands on roster moves, more that he just wanted to be heard and used as an asset. I am fortunate enough to work for a company that asks our opinions on things all the time. That doesn’t mean they always do what we think should be done, but at times they do and that’s a massive moral and trust boost within a company and the people who work for them

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sayheykid said:

Just a couple of points, as I have no dog in this fight:

1. Some of those players he mentioned were long gone by the time the newer GM n Coach were hired.

2. Aaron: "It's not about the money"

Also Aaron: "after the year I had and asked for a raise." 🤷

3. Previously stated: It's not about drafting Jordan Love 

Also Aaron: "welp, they drafted my replacement and didn't give my security about the future" 

4. "I've been paid a TON of money by this organization" 

Yes, you have, and that may be why some of your buds couldn't hang around in their declining years. The cap is only so big. 

All in all I like that he didn't just take the politically correct approach but it seems to me that he spoke outta both sides of his mouth, while checking his notes/script very often. Yes I'm sure the Packers could've done things better as well but this seems like an aging player who doesn't have his pals around forever and isn't happy about it. Also it's definitely a downside of wanting to be paid #1 money to prove a point and then watching all your pals getting "lower deals" or getting shipped out.

• Like 2

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Do you mean where he is in the analogy and says "I just got this other offer..."? I thought about that too.

yes. His analogy was basically saying he approached our FO saying he had an agreement to go play somewhere else lined up and they should work out a trade

23 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Vikings fans say this stuff EVERY off season. 

You act like the Vikings never win the division.  They have won their share over the years.  I'm also not a Vikings fan anymore.  I made my prediction as an impartial observer.