2022 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

Here’s my two cents.

Tatum was viewed as a combo forward with an advanced offensive skill set. He showed promise as a passer and was viewed as a good, not great athlete. He was also knocked for being a so-so defender, questionable 3pt shooter(34%) and being too iso happy. There were also questions about how he’d transition to the league being guarded by more athletic wings because a lot of his success came at small ball 4 in college. He was viewed as a high floor/mid ceiling prospect. If you remember some had Josh Jackson and/or Jonathan Issac above him because of Jackson’s athletic ability and Issac’s size/defensive versatility.

Looking at Paolo, he shares a lot of the same strengths and concerns Tatum had. A hyper advanced forward with a high level offensive skill set, who’s defense and shooting are question marks. They both came in the league as good not great athletes and had questions about how they’d do against bigger, more athletic defenders. Paolo, like Tatum, also gets knocked for being too iso heavy at times. I do think Paolo is a better passer at this stage while Tatum was a better shooter.

For me as a Duke fan, it’s eerie how similar I view both as prospects. I was extremely high on both to start the year, questioned what made them so special by mid season and was all aboard both their bandwagons as the #1 pick by seasons end. Tatum went to a great situation where he was really able to hone in on his weaknesses. I’m hoping it’s the same for Paolo.

Awesome answer. Thanks for sharing something so well thought out. I thought I was dumb for seeing the similarities between Tatum and Paolo. I really think the college game is not suited for a lot of prospects. 

What is a realistic comparison for Keegan Murray? I'm seeing Otto Porter Jr. the most.  One site had him as Michael Porter Jr and another one had him as Opi Toppin.   Murray would be such a boring pick at 5.  I dont see upside with him. 

Edited by Texansfan713

13 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

What is a realistic comparison for Keegan Murray? I'm seeing Otto Porter Jr. the most.  One site had him as Michael Porter Jr and another one had him as Opi Toppin.   Murray would be such a boring pick at 5.  I dont see upside with him. 

I think the best case scenario for him would be Pascal Siakam. 

On 4/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, beekay414 said:

Yes. Murray's gonna score in the league. The question is then how much of a turnstile defensively is he going to be or can he use his athleticism and progress on that end.

Murray and Siakam share a lot of similarities as prospects. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Both are/were older combo forward prospects that blew up in year two, similar size/athletic profiles. 

Siakam was a full year older than Murray when he got drafted but I get what you mean. I think Murray's has a more natural scoring ability than Siakam. Siakam was better this year on the efficiency end but I think Murray's a >50% FG type scorer. He's a better finisher and shooter than Pascal.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Siakam was a full year older than Murray when he got drafted but I get what you mean. I think Murray's has a more natural scoring ability than Siakam. Siakam was better this year on the efficiency end but I think Murray's a >50% FG type scorer. He's a better finisher and shooter than Pascal.

Yeah not saying they're identical prospects but both guys kind of came out of nowhere with super strong sophomore years as older prospects, Murray is definitely a better prospect coming into the league though.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah not saying they're identical prospects but both guys kind of came out of nowhere with super strong sophomore years as older prospects, Murray is definitely a better prospect coming into the league though.

Yeah, Murray's body control separates him from Pascal as a prospect. He can play through contact and still finish. Not sure Siakam came into the league ready to do that.

Christian Koloko Really intrigues me with the Warriors pick at 28. With the emergence of Jordan Poole and with Moody and Kuminga expected bigger role next year. Just think Koloko would be a nice piece to add behind Wiseman. Have two 7 footers who can both be rim runners and defend the paint.