Most popular NFL team in each international country

pf9

36 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

I don't think its any different in Europe then it is in the US. Some fans might be drawn in by the success (If you're going to watch an NFL game it will probably be the SB, guess who has been playing a lot of those) but will have 'grown' into real fans of the team and will keep supporting them. Others will move on to KC or whatever the flavor of the month might be, others might stop following the sport as a whole.

Also in Western Europe the NBA broke out in the 90's thanks to Micheal Jordan.

I think the difference is that a large, large % of US NFL fans are locked in, and a good number of "new fans" get grandfathered into their families teams, or geographically where they live.

Most new European NFL fans are going to have an open slate to choose which team to support.

Similarly, I recently got into EPL, and I bounced around a couple of clubs in my first 3 seasons (and I'm still not 100% sure I've found "my team" yet), and think NFL fandom in Europe might still have a lot of people still deciding their allegiences

Edited by Tk3

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I think the difference is that a large, large % of US NFL fans are locked in, and a good number of "new fans" get grandfathered into their families teams, or geographically where they live.

Most new European NFL fans are going to have an open slate to choose which team to support.

Similarly, I recently got into EPL, and I bounced around a couple of clubs in my first 3 seasons (and I'm still not 100% sure I've found "my team" yet), and think NFL fandom in Europe might still have a lot of people still deciding their allegiences

First part is true, though from what I see online a fair share of bandwagoning or at least fairweather interest is always going on.

NFL fandom in Europe is very, very niche compared to a lot of other sports. I guess the ranking would be NBA > NHL/NFL > MBL. But even Darts is more popular then the NBA here to put things into perspective. I think all the NFL fans that actually try and watch games semi-regularly have picked their team and are atleast semi-entrenched but that does leave a lot of potential fans. However I don't really think there are hordes of them looking for a team.

With regards to the EPL I could give you some pointers;
Plastic Tier; Man City, Chelsea
Historic Bandwagon rivalry tier; Liverpool, Man U
Historic Team fading away; Arsenal
The 'new' hotness; Leicester, Tottenham
Fun teams that have been around consistently for a long time tier; Everton, West Ham, Aston Villa
Teams that are pretty fun but aren't very consistent and have a chavvy fanbase tier; Leeds U, Newcastle U
Rising Phoenix from the past tier: Wolverhampton Wanderers
Cool teams that I'm to lazy to tier right now; the rest

If you want to ride the lightning I'd go for Leicester or Wolverhampton Wanderer's. I'm not convinced they will keep preforming at this level for long but they might, and that makes it pretty exciting. If you want some security of having a team that is in the EPL but you don't want to bandwagon Everton/West Ham/Aston Villa would be my picks

OR

If you like a competition with crazy endings and sick historic rivalries there's always the Dutch Eredivisie ;)

Edit; just saw your avatar. Go with Wolverhampton bro.

Edited by DutchFalcon

7 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

First part is true, though from what I see online a fair share of bandwagoning or at least fairweather interest is always going on.

NFL fandom in Europe is very, very niche compared to a lot of other sports. I guess the ranking would be NBA > NHL/NFL > MBL. But even Darts is more popular then the NBA here to put things into perspective. I think all the NFL fans that actually try and watch games semi-regularly have picked their team and are atleast semi-entrenched but that does leave a lot of potential fans. However I don't really think there are hordes of them looking for a team.

Fun teams that have been around consistently for a long time tier; Everton, West Ham, Aston Villa
Teams that are pretty fun but aren't very consistent and have a chavvy fanbase tier; Leeds U, Newcastle U

If you want to ride the lightning I'd go for Leicester or Wolverhampton Wanderer's. I'm not convinced they will keep preforming at this level for long but they might, and that makes it pretty exciting. If you want some security of having a team that is in the EPL but you don't want to bandwagon Everton/West Ham/Aston Villa would be my picks

OR

If you like a competition with crazy endings and sick historic rivalries there's always the Dutch Eredivisie ;)

I've actually been wanting advice on who to support.. I was already heavily leaning the Wolves.. Also on my radar has been Crystal Palace and Brighton (and maybe Leeds)

I'm fully opposed to any of the big 6, and looking for a team on the rise with youth (and preferably dope kits). My one friend (United fan) who is getting me into football is adament that I should support Leicester, which makes me sort of not want to

PS - what is chavvy?

3 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

I've actually been wanting advice on who to support.. I was already heavily leaning the Wolves.. Also on my radar has been Crystal Palace and Brighton (and maybe Leeds)

I'm fully opposed to any of the big 6, and looking for a team on the rise with youth (and preferably dope kits). My one friend (United fan) who is getting me into football is adament that I should support Leicester, which makes me sort of not want to

PS - what is chavvy?

Crystal Palace has a pretty long and rich history. Not a lot of it has been as a top flight team though. Patrick Vieira is their coach which is cool since he was a great player in the mid 90's early 2000's. I think they are actually rivals with Brighton so kind of funny that you are also considering them. Don't know that much else about them tbh. Mostly a team that's kind of "there" and is one of the many professional London teams and consortium owned which make them kind of ehh in my book.
Brighton and Hove is a team I honestly don't know much about. I know they are pretty oldschool but they have been mostly in the lower league's in my lifetime so I can't tell you much about them. Pretty hipster/obscure pick I recon so if you like cheering for a smaller underdog side with history it's a solid pick.
Leeds United is a bit of a mess as a team but I did like them a bit as a kid/teenager just from watching their games. They seemed to be one of those solid EPL sides but slid down massively and seem to be on a resurgence for a bit now. I had to look it up cause I wasn't sure which team it was but it is partially owned by the Yorks (from 49'ers fame). Like I said their fans tend to be chav's though. A chav is like an English version of a Gopnik. Maybe somewhat compareable to an American Guido?

I think this vid gives a decent impression:

During my enlistments in the military, the teams I seemed to see all the time no matter where I went were the Cowboys, Packers, Steelers and oddly enough, Dolphins.   However, from 2004 to 2006, it seemed like everyone owned a Vick jersey.   During my latter years, I seen alot more Saints and Patriots gear, too.

Anecdotal but on my one visit to Munich, I ran into a club bouncer who was a Jets fan. This was like in 2016, well past the Rex era, so it was pretty shocking that any I met was a Jets fan, let alone some random dude in Germany.

If I had to take this sample and extrapolate, I'd guess all of Munich is Jets fans, if not all of Germany.

• Like 2

Frequently work in South Korea and anytime I talk to someone wearing NFL club clothing it always comes down to style for the most part. They just like the way that particular piece of clothing looked. There's no real large fan following of any squad that I can detect. They do tend to support any native player that breaks into a non Korean league though. So I've heard Younghoe Koo and the Atlanta Falcons get some shout outs. Same deal for Son Heung-Min and the Tottenham Hotspurs, who replaced Park Ji Sung and Manchester United in the eyes of South Koreans soccer enthusiasts. The LA Dodgers became a bit of a thing with Ryu Hyun-Jin too. Whatever team the Korean golden boy is playing for abroad tends to be more popular. Obviously, this isn't a trend exclusive to SK though. 

9 hours ago, Tk3 said:

tenor.gif

Working class spawn who think they're bad *** hanging by the park and drinking and being loud. Boy-racer cars, burberry clothes etc. I think Dutch is a bit harsh calling fans of Leeds and NUFC chavvy, considering they have an iron-tight support who have stood by them despite multiple relegations etc, but I do know where he's coming from :D I say support West Ham, but I'm biased. We've gone from 15th to 6th in one season and are now in a Europe cup (tournament), great history, cool kit...

Edited by Hunter2_1

10 hours ago, Tk3 said:

tenor.gif

Chavs are somewhat similar in nature but different in execution.

36 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Working class spawn who think they're bad *** hanging by the park and drinking and being loud. Boy-racer cars, burberry clothes etc. I think Dutch is a bit harsh calling fans of Leeds and NUFC chavvy, considering they have an iron-tight support who have stood by them despite multiple relegations etc, but I do know where he's coming from :D I say support West Ham, but I'm biased. We've gone from 15th to 6th in one season and are now in a Europe cup (tournament), great history, cool kit...

Oh it wasn't a knock on their supporters being unfaithful and a lot of teams have some rotten apples as fans, just that as far as I'm aware Leeds, Newcastle and to a lesser extend Liverpool are all kind of known for having loads of chavs as fans.

West Ham is a good choice, and probably the team I'd support if I had to choose one. They have their ups and downs but generally have a decent squad with some fun youth in there and as far as I know are known to have pretty classy fans.

11 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

OR

Wolves are the main toy of the most powerful agent Jorge Mendes though, not sure how attractive that is. However, I've been to Wolverhampton once and people were super friendly and stoked to see a foreigner come to see their team.

Bit of a difficult time finding a favorite team though.

As for popular NFL teams in Europe, I can only speak for my observations in Germany and Austria, where Pats, Seahawks and Packers seem to have the most supporters, going by appearance and interaction with the NFL broadcasts. Raiders definitely seem to be selling the most merch, but I doubt these people are actually following the team. Niners still have a lot of fans from the Montana/Young days.

On 8/6/2021 at 2:04 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

I live in UK. It feels like it's either Miami or NYG. I believe that was the first NFL game in London, but I suspect the reason for Miami is that it took off over here around Marino's time. 

Anecdotal though, I don't have stats

I feel like I saw Pats gear the most often in the UK, but maybe that's just subconscious bias because I am more likely to notice it. I saw someone rocking an Edelman jersey while he was out jogging in N. Ireland a couple of weekends ago. I shouted Go Pats but he looked at me like I was a weirdo, not a fellow fan. 😄

Big mix of teams represented whenever I have gone to Wembley/Twickenham for a game. Giants. Dolphins and Packers well represented but I don't think the Cowboys were well represented at all. 

2 hours ago, scottishpatriot said:

I feel like I saw Pats gear the most often in the UK, but maybe that's just subconscious bias because I am more likely to notice it. I saw someone rocking an Edelman jersey while he was out jogging in N. Ireland a couple of weekends ago. I shouted Go Pats but he looked at me like I was a weirdo, not a fellow fan. 😄

Big mix of teams represented whenever I have gone to Wembley/Twickenham for a game. Giants. Dolphins and Packers well represented but I don't think the Cowboys were well represented at all. 

He probably doesn't even know what the Patriots are. Loads of people just buy American sports gear to look swaggy and cool. My best mate decks himself out in Miami heat gear simply because he loves the City - can't name a single player. 

I've definitely seen a lot of Pats gear around though as well. I'd put them third just based on personal sightings 

On 8/6/2021 at 2:59 PM, Mega Ron said:

The Dolphins are huge here aren't they. The the Giants cos everyone loves going to NY for shopping etc and the Raiders for the cool logo.

All three of those teams have played a decent number of games in the UK IIRC.