NBA Off-Season Thread: USA Wins Gold!!!

the lone star

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

I'm glad Gasol is gone. He felt like a last minute (necessary....) add on at the end of last years FA period. I didnt like his game or fit with LA.

Marc's washed but he could space the floor at least, the Lakers need AD to man up and play the 5 a lot this year. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

Marc's washed but he could space the floor at least, the Lakers need AD to man up and play the 5 a lot this year. 

I prefer my Centers to man the paint. Score high % shots, hit the boards and be something of a deterrent around the rim.  Not "space the floor"  standing 30ft away from the rim - pass the ball - and leave the middle open to the opposing team. Or - if he's down under on defense, he's gotta be able to actually get off the floor. When Gasol was down low - it was a ticket to ride for the opposing team to take the ball to the rim. His "contesting a shot" equated to standing flat footed and raising his arms.

Needless to say, I didnt like his fit when we signed him and didnt like his game when I saw it.

I'm fine with AD splitting time between PF & C because I dont think the pounding under/around the rim does his overall game (or health) well in the long run.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I prefer my Centers to man the paint. Score high % shots, hit the boards and be something of a deterrent around the rim.  Not "space the floor"  standing 30ft away from the rim - pass the ball - and leave the middle open to the opposing team. Or - if he's down under on defense, he's gotta be able to actually get off the floor. When Gasol was down low - it was a ticket to ride for the opposing team to take the ball to the rim. His "contesting a shot" equated to standing flat footed and raising his arms.

Needless to say, I didnt like his fit when we signed him and didnt like his game when I saw it.

I'm fine with AD splitting time between PF & C because I dont think the pounding under/around the rim does his overall game (or health) well in the long run.

You can score in the paint, rebound, defend the rim, and space the floor, lol. Like Anthony Davis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leader said:

I prefer my Centers to man the paint. Score high % shots, hit the boards and be something of a deterrent around the rim.  Not "space the floor"  standing 30ft away from the rim - pass the ball - and leave the middle open to the opposing team.

I'm confused here. Are you suggesting spacing the floor is both an offensive and defensive term?

If not then why would you care if the middle of the lane is unoccupied by Lakers? That leaves more room, or "space", for LeBron, Westbrook, and Davis to attack. Having Howard and Jordan in there cramps that and adds an extra defender for them to worry about.

23 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm confused here. Are you suggesting spacing the floor is both an offensive and defensive term?

If not then why would you care if the middle of the lane is unoccupied by Lakers? That leaves more room, or "space", for LeBron, Westbrook, and Davis to attack. Having Howard and Jordan in there cramps that and adds an extra defender for them to worry about.

My Center standing 30ft away from the rim serves no defensive purpose that I can see.

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

Why would your center be standing 30 feet from the rim on defense?

It was a manner of speaking. Out by the 3pt line - so make that 24ft to be exact. Joker can pull it off cause he can drop 20pts a game from there. Gasol might have some time back but tthose days were long gone. 

1 minute ago, Leader said:

It was a manner of speaking. Out by the 3pt line - so make that 24ft to be exact. Joker can pull it off cause he can drop 20pts a game from there. Gasol might have some time back but tthose days were long gone. 

You mean you don't see the point offensively? It makes it easier to attack the paint. That's what having a C that spreads out the defense does.

15 minutes ago, Leader said:

12 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

You mean you don't see the point offensively? It makes it easier to attack the paint. That's what having a C that spreads out the defense does.

Did you miss the NBA Finals @Leader 

Brook Lopez isn't some amazing player but his ability to space the floor definitely helped the Bucks because it drew Ayton away from the paint. 

15 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

LOL. Really? :)Certainly I see the strategic aspect of it - but as explained previously, I prefer my C's around/in the paint - unless (and this I said previously as well...) you've got somebody like Joker - who's a true offensive threat from out there - not simply a passer.  The Lakers did just fine with Howard and McGee in the paint - guys were able to get to the rim. I see no reason they wont be able to this year.

A secondary factor pertinent to the Lakers (edit: was) their lousy shooting % from 3pt land. If you're chucking bricks from deep - best to have somebody underneath to snag the rebound and get a second shot attempt.  With Gasol outside - that wasnt happening.

Edited by Leader

Despite the myriad stars—both past and current—that the Los Angeles Lakers have signed to their roster this offseason, consistent perimeter shooting and youth remain the biggest question marks for the championship hopefuls.

As a result, the Lakers have turned their attention to free agent wing James Ennis. 

Per HoopsHype’s Michael Scotto, Ennis has received interest from the Chicago Bulls and Orlando Magic, along with the Lakers.

Would be a great pickup for the Lakers. If Kevin Love gives in and agrees to a buyout that'd be a nice pickup as the 15th player.

Edited by NYRaider

3 hours ago, amac said:

So did Lakers fans. Everyone remotely associated with the Lakers gets hyped up beyond belief 

Dont know what Lakers fans you chat to - but nobody I know felt Kuzma was nearly that good.
All I wanted was some consistency.....and even that proved elusive. One night he might drop 20+ then he'd give you a string of games below 10pts.