Chances Bell is a Steeler in 2018?

43M

What are the chances Bell is a Steeler in 2018?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Chances Bell is a Steeler?

• 100% - No chance we let him walk
    • 75% - I think we get a deal done, but I won't be shocked if he leaves
    • 50% - Could go either way
    • 25% - Im holding out hope, but I doubt it.
    • 0% - No real chance. Too expensive and not enough money.

The more I look at things, the less I feel like there is a good chance Lev will be a Steeler come next year unless Ben retires early in the offseason...but then we would have a much more glaring issue.

As of right now, from what I am seeing, we are nearly $3m over the 2018 cap.     Cutting Mitchell and Vance McDonald seem like no brainers that will immediately clear nearly $10m off our cap, and they will obviously shift some money around into future years, but I have a feeling Bell is going to demand about as much as Brown, and we simply wont be able to afford that PLUS be able to fill our roster and sign our draft picks.   

However, Ive seen players signed in circumstances like this in the past where is seems the team has very little money to work with, so you never now.

So, what are the chances Bell is a Steeler at this point next year?

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I went 75%.

Mostly, because I think Ben might retire and that could give us a bunch of cap flexibility.  So we split that ability on Bell and a short term stop gap QB while alos trading up in the 1st for a QB of the future.

Went with 50%.  I think a LTD makes sense for both sides IF they can agree on numbers.  (probably something similar to what was offered last year) Cap room can always be made if necessary.   Otherwise, I think he is worth a second Tag and will probably get one. 

Don't think Ben retires.  Keeping him clean these last couple of weeks will go a long way toward him continuing his career imo.  The only way I see him retiring after this season is if he gets hurt or if they make it to the promised land. (#7)  

But, drafting QB of the future has to be a STRONG consideration for the team in the upcoming draft.   

I think they re-sign him if he stays healthy.  I think that he regrets not signing what they offered him this year.  He can be tagged and get a raise, but it still won't be as high as what he was offered for the deal this year. he will get a 125% increase which would take him to somewhere near $13.5 mill per season. What works against him is that other backs being franchised and who have signed won't get nearly as much.  The RB market is between $8 and $10 million per year. The franchise tag will go down for new RB's as Bell currently has the top salary and the tag is based on the top five average.

I think they compromise and offer him something similar to this year's salary and he takes it. i don't see anyone else offering much more than the potential $15 million the Steelers offered for two weeks.

All Im going to say is that unless we win the Superbowl or Ben is injured badly, I dont see him retiring...unless there is something behind the scenes going on (family issues or maybe lingering pain/health issues we dont know about).   People put too much stock into his retirement talk IMO.    Ben likes the drama and IMO just wanted the extra attention he knew that kind of comment would draw.    I dont see him leaving until his contract is up, and I honestly wouldnt even be completely shocked if he signed a 2 year extension if he plays well next year. (and we dont win a Superbowl).   

I'm hoping this year we win the Superbowl, Ben retires, Haley takes a head coaching position somewhere else, Hue jackson is fired and get's hired as our new OC, and we sign Kirk Cousins and Bell. The chances of any of this happening are very slim, but the one with the highest chances is signing Bell.

The question reads will he be a Steeler in 2018? Therefore, the answer is 100%. They're feeding him the ball so he's happy and it would appear they are happy with him so they'll tag him again. I've been wondering why he's getting 30+ carries and no love for Conner who's running well but you gotta keep these guys happy. 

As for will he be a Steeler in 2019, the answer is 50/50. But it's looking more and more likely he wants to stay. His mood has improved, he's producing, and he's staying out of trouble. I feel confident that a long-term deal will be reached and I'll go as high as 5 years/$75m

15 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I'm hoping this year we win the Superbowl, Ben retires, Haley takes a head coaching position somewhere else, Hue jackson is fired and get's hired as our new OC, and we sign Kirk Cousins and Bell. The chances of any of this happening are very slim, but the one with the highest chances is signing Bell.

I hope none of this happens but the ring. Kirk Cousins? At $120m? I'll take Mike Tomczak for minimum salary. O'Donnell for $1m if he stops shaving points

Archived