Can D'Andre Swift end this underrated Lions Curse?

redsoxsuck05

Kevin Jones

Kevin Smith

Jahvid Best

Ameer Abdullah

Kerryon Johnson

All these folks, with the exception of Best who had a good sophomore year, had promising rookie years and then quickly fizzled thereafter. Can Swift break this arbitrary, homegrown Detroit running back curse? Am I allowed to call it a Barry Sanders curse?

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s a “curse”. I just don’t think the Lions have cared about running the ball much at all the past couple decades, especially the Stafford era. They were always a very pass heavy team. And all of the running backs they drafted were shotgun, pass game type of backs, not traditional running backs. Swift is the first traditional running back they have taken in ages. When they drafted him I was like “Wow, they might try to be a balanced team for once.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

I'm already hearing the new coaching staff isn't fond of him, and considers Jamal Williams the superior option so... 

Jamal Williams is a good back, he's competent at everything, but he's also the definition of "good enough to be the starter you're always looking to replace" 

I was waiting for someone to post that he was going to run for 2000 yards this year.  But he doesn’t play for WFT so we get this instead.  

If you give him 200+ carries I think he’s getting close to 1000 yards -  he’s that explosive.   But I don’t see that running volume with Jamal Williams there.   I do like him for 1400+ all purpose yards as a more likely best case scenario (700 rushing / 700 receiving) if he can stay healthy.   J-Williams will eat into his touches though - could be a big timeshare.  

Edited by Broncofan