Wheel of Time Season 2 (Sept 1 Amazon Prime)

The Gnat

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I still contend that for all the content they put in season 1, it should have been two seasons, and season one should have focused mostly on character development with the occasional action set piece every other episode.  Could have spent more time on the white cloaks, more time at the White Tower, another episode on the road, etc....  The frenetic pace of this series is its biggest downfall.

If they had made season 1 the trek up to the White Tower with the finale being the White Tower episode and Matt being left behind that wouldve been great. More pitfalls and time spent with this characters in harrowing situations. A big thing for me is that apparently it was MONTHS between the time they got split up and when they meet up again at the White Tower. If it wasn't for the throw away line about how long Matt had been suffering from the dagger I wouldve had ZERO idea about how much time passed. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I don't think it was. I don't think the mystery was much of a focal point in the narrative either, which I know is weird to say. It was more getting to certain places. The who of it all didn't seem important until THIS episode and while the character work was good in this one it needed to happen sooner. 

That being said, Warrior mom was the best sequence in the entire series so far IMHO

Ahem…about to give birth warrior mom.

Keanu Reeves GIF

• Like 2

On 12/16/2021 at 6:44 PM, Deadpulse said:

not done with the episode by HOLY ISH they needed to have that fireside chat (or something like it) episodes ago. Best piece of character work in the entire series. 

The showrunner was also on the first season of Agent of Shield. So I’m seeing the same roughness and inconsistency as that show’s first season. Hopefully everything irons out for WOT like it did for AOS.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Xenos said:

The showrunner was also on the first season of Agent of Shield. So I’m seeing the same roughness and inconsistency as that show’s first season. Hopefully everything irons out for WOT like it did for AOS.

1st season of aos sucked so hard I couldn’t finish it. I’ve heard it gets better, by almost everyone who watched more of it, but I never watched anymore of it, lol. 

Thank god this 1st season is better than that, IMO. It’s no GOT though. And, kudos to those that could stick with aos.

3 minutes ago, SMashMouthMike said:

1st season of aos sucked so hard I couldn’t finish it. I’ve heard it gets better, by almost everyone who watched more of it, but I never watched anymore of it, lol. 

Thank god this 1st season is better than that, IMO. It’s no GOT though. And, kudos to those that could stick with aos.

AOS first season becomes good after the halfway mark. I feel that each season since, with the exception of 6 and 7, have consistently gotten better. So it definitely became a great show. 

As for WOT, it should continue being its own thing and not worry about being GOT despite what the Bezos may have wanted. The same thing for LOTR next year. They’re both high fantasy. Not grim dark political shows.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, Xenos said:

As for WOT, it should continue being its own thing and not worry about being GOT despite what the Bezos may have wanted. The same thing for LOTR next year. They’re both high fantasy. Not grim dark political shows

I agree that it should be it’s own thing. I’ve also heard that GOT had multiple rewrites for its first episode or first season, but man, if they didn’t hit a few home runs in that first season and very first episode. It is great writing, dialogue, characterization, acting and storytelling overall. It did get worse though imo. GOT 1st season is probably my favorite along with the 4th season. 

Edited by SMashMouthMike

Interesting that many liked this episode, because I thought it was one of the weaker ones, especially for my expectations of a penultimate

Part of that is that I don't care for the Lan/Nynaeve pairing. I thought the Perrin/Rand/Egwene thing was a little unnecessary, not sure how it advances anything or changes character motivations. I thought the Min reveal was a bit odd. I'd rather her be a little more random foreseeing than what seemed like a little more targeted foreseeing

Interesting choice to break up the party again. I don't love it, but I'll wait to see how it plays out

Need to watch it again though. Was interrupted a few times and wasn't able to focus too well on it

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Interesting that many liked this episode, because I thought it was one of the weaker ones, especially for my expectations of a penultimate

Part of that is that I don't care for the Lan/Nynaeve pairing. I thought the Perrin/Rand/Egwene thing was a little unnecessary, not sure how it advances anything or changes character motivations

I thought the first half wasn't good at all.

Character building/motivations is what this series has needed in the worst way, so I thought it worked particularly well.

That was such a THUD oh my

Like Moraine had to ask because much like the audience, who the F knew what happened. They made... really weird choices. They wrapped up the entire Dark One threat (or at least thats what we are told. If he comes back later, irrelevant, it shouldn't rely on book knowledge to make it better for a season finale) with a dream sequence about how love is beyond your wants and some crazy beach going full kamikaze on a horde of drones. 

Im not even saying it was all bad. I am saying that it is a crap ending to a season. Yes, most season finales have setup for future stories, but this entire episode was that. This wasnt a finale this was episode 8 of 10. That big set up episode that creates intrigue.  

• Like 2