2022 NFL Draft #1 (Senior Bowl & Combine)

Forge

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Has anyone watched any of Markquese Bell? I haven't...just doing some due diligence before seeing if I can find anything. The numbers are somewhat promising though. 

I haven’t, but @JIllg just mentioned him in the other thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenK said:

I did, but I love to talk about prospects. Bell is a terrific player in the run game. Is always in the right gap. Great tackler. Can hang with slot receivers on quick breaking routes. From deep, he’s a bit more of an adventure. At his level, he could make mistakes recognizing routes and matching players vertically and make up for it with recovery speed. He’s a terrific athlete. It worked. A couple of levels up, he’s going to have to be better. But he’s capable of doing everything Tartt does. And few in this class are. Think less polished Jaquon Brisker at a lower level. He and Sterling Weatherford are quality SS projects for me. Weatherford is Kyle Hamilton-ish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StevenK said:

Also of note, Bell was a high 4 star, low 5 star athlete coming out. Had to go JUCO to HBCU academically. But football wise, man he is just really really good at his assignments downhill. Looks very pro ready on that front. Goes the right way around blocks always flows to the right spot. Hardly ever misses a tackle. Forces fumbles because he’s just sticking his shoulders on the ball. And he can hang athletically deeper, he just hasn’t had to have a lot of practice and has a bit to learn, even if he still made some cool plays there in college. The HBCU competition went really screen and short pass and run heavy. 

• Like 1

• CB Kalon Barnes, Baylor (PFN)
  • S Vonte Davis, Utah (PFN)
  • RB Jerome Ford, Cincinnati (PFN)
  • WR Danny Gray, SMU (PFN)
  • CB Marcus Jones, Houston (Mar 30, Jones)
  • DE DeAngelo Malone, Western Kentucky (NFLN)
  • S Leon O'Neal, Texas A&M (PFN)
  • RB Brian Robinson Jr., Alabama (Schultz)
  • WR Samori Toure, Nebraska (Apr 4, NBCSBA)
  • CB Joshua Williams, Fayetteville State (TDN)
  • DE Alex Wright, UAB (TDN)

Only that list, according to https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/157266-49ers-2022-pre-draft-visit-meeting-tracker/

Watched O'Neal a bit, looks alright against the pass but I don't think he is a good tackler at all. 

Danny Gray was one of the first guys I liked as late round prospect.

So, okay. I didn’t look a lot at left tackle types in this draft for obvious reasons. The team that I follow may have a decent one of those. But my brother is a Bears fan and has been gushing about Zach Tom. Brett Kollmann kind of went bonkers over him and took him waaaay over the consensus spot in several places. I had to watch some tape. And it was bananas. Tom just stiffed everyone. The way he handled Jermaine Johnson reminded me so much of the way that Rashawn Slater handled Chase Young - the angle set, the hands directly into the chest, get your butt down and the guy is dead it was uncanny. And he did it to everyone. He had a pff pass block grade of 92+ in a power 5 conference. Why is this dude not higher on boards? The arm length is over the 33 inches that is the real hard cutoff. Bananas. Also, he’s a near freaking athletic clone of Slater. Like, I think these two sets of testing numbers could be one guy on a different day of the week:

069-BD3-B3-7-E9-B-4798-896-D-885-C1254-C

3 minutes ago, JIllg said:

So, okay. I didn’t look a lot at left tackle types in this draft for obvious reasons. The team that I follow may have a decent one of those. But my brother is a Bears fan and has been gushing about Zach Tom. Brett Kollmann kind of went bonkers over him and took him waaaay over the consensus spot in several places. I had to watch some tape. And it was bananas. Tom just stiffed everyone. The way he handled Jermaine Johnson reminded me so much of the way that Rashawn Slater handled Chase Young - the angle set, the hands directly into the chest, get your butt down and the guy is dead it was uncanny. And he did it to everyone. He had a pff pass block grade of 92+ in a power 5 conference. Why is this dude not higher on boards? The arm length is over the 33 inches that is the real hard cutoff. Bananas. Also, he’s a near freaking athletic clone of Slater. Like, I think these two sets of testing numbers could be one guy on a different day of the week:

069-BD3-B3-7-E9-B-4798-896-D-885-C1254-C

I like Tom. Have taken him in several drafts. Good versatility. I know most think he's a center prospect. 

I think this front office will love him. Athletic, very smart, 3 or 4 year starter, can't remember which. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I like Tom. Have taken him in several drafts. Good versatility. I know most think he's a center prospect. 

I think this front office will love him. Athletic, very smart, 3 or 4 year starter, can't remember which. 

Yeah, a lot of people were on the “Slater is a guard” train last year too, because of the size and arm length. But technique and athleticism plays. Proven ability plays. I think you’re wasting him if he’s not at left tackle from what I saw (to be fair, his last year of college was at left tackle).

14 minutes ago, JIllg said:

Yeah, a lot of people were on the “Slater is a guard” train last year too, because of the size and arm length. But technique and athleticism plays. Proven ability plays. I think you’re wasting him if he’s not at left tackle from what I saw (to be fair, his last year of college was at left tackle).

He and Slater and Zion Johnson all have that thing where they are so dang short area explosive that they can angle set even very athletic guys, so they can cut off the edge while always having their feet under them and being in a position to be strong throughout the rep. They can keep their torso square to the target so they are harder to long arm and can minimize length disadvantage. And then they just sit down when they get bull rushed while in the strong position they create for themselves. I saw Jermaine Johnson throw Daniel Faalele on his *** in Senior Bowl practice on a bull rush because Faalele has to cheat so hard to the to the speed rush that he couldn’t keep his feet under him while getting to his spot and Johnson went right through him. Size isn’t power if size can’t get to the spot quickly and in enough position to be strong. 

29 minutes ago, JIllg said:

He and Slater and Zion Johnson all have that thing where they are so dang short area explosive that they can angle set even very athletic guys, so they can cut off the edge while always having their feet under them and being in a position to be strong throughout the rep. They can keep their torso square to the target so they are harder to long arm and can minimize length disadvantage. And then they just sit down when they get bull rushed while in the strong position they create for themselves. I saw Jermaine Johnson throw Daniel Faalele on his *** in Senior Bowl practice on a bull rush because Faalele has to cheat so hard to the to the speed rush that he couldn’t keep his feet under him while getting to his spot and Johnson went right through him. Size isn’t power if size can’t get to the spot quickly and in enough position to be strong. 

Agreed about the quickness and especially technique, though I don't think his base and anchor is as good as someone like Slater. Explosive bulls will give him some trouble, but he'll be fine against speed guys. 

The big question will also be whether he can do something besides assignment based blocking in the run game and actually move people at the line if he's out in the edge. Huge question for the niners specifically. We know that matters a lot to shanny.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Agreed about the quickness and especially technique, though I don't think his base and anchor is as good as someone like Slater. Explosive bulls will give him some trouble, but he'll be fine against speed guys. 

The big question will also be whether he can do something besides assignment based blocking in the run game and actually move people at the line if he's out in the edge. Huge question for the niners specifically. We know that matters a lot to shanny.

Yeah, I only watched 3 games of film on Tom. Wouldn’t surprise me if he had a few issues against the beefiest Karlaftiest edge dudes. I didn’t see any problems with bull rushes on tape. I’m just saying he’s behind similar guys like Kellen Deisch and Bernhard Raimann on consensus boards and right now he’s just better than those guys for me. He has longer arms and is under better control than both of them. He handles power better than them. And he’s played quality competition and isn’t trying to uselessly hug technique guys like Raimann did at the Senior Bowl. Andrew Thomas has proved that even for the most talented guys getting rid of the hug technique is a time consuming and painful process that prospects have to work through. And I agree we’d probably see Tom as a center with maybe a little guard. Shanahan only wants powerful straight run game gangsters at tackle and now even at guard to dominate at reach and scoop blocks and while I feel that’s a little limiting, he’s produced high quality offenses against the current NFL run of play. I’m not messing with that process too much. 

Edited by JIllg

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I really don't like the bottom of this receiver class. Like, at all. Once you get out of round 3/4, there are just no late round sleeper crushes for me. 

I don’t know where they will fall, but the only names that I have heard interest or seem interesting to me later in the draft: 

Josh Johnson - Tulsa

Makai Polk - Mississippi State

Erik Ezukanma - Texas Tech 

Charleston Rambo - Miami 

Danny Gray - SMU 

Justyn Ross - Clemson 

Edited by StevenK

16 hours ago, StevenK said:

I don’t know where they will fall, but the only names that I have heard interest or seem interesting to me later in the draft: 

Josh Johnson - Tulsa

Makai Polk - Mississippi State

Erik Ezukanma - Texas Tech 

Charleston Rambo - Miami 

Danny Gray - SMU 

Justyn Ross - Clemson 

I really do like Josh Johnson. He doesn't quite fill what we need imo - Ray Ray McCloud and Deebo and Aiyuk are going to get our small slot and gadget touches - but Johnson would definitely be a useful flyer for other teams. He's really shifty and useful enough after the catch. Rambo I like too. He's really good at boxing people out at the catch point and is reasonably fluid for a physical receiver. But again, not really a 49ers guy. Maybe a backup to Jajaun Jennings at big slot? But Rambo doesn't have a key skill for that role in that he isn't good after the catch. Ross is like Rambo but even less twitchy somehow. I haven't seen the others actually. Would be fascinated to hear what they are like.