2022 NFL Draft #1 (Senior Bowl & Combine)

Forge

59 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I get that Stingley may not have been as good after his freshmen season but that showed just how talented he was and how good he was. I'm not passing up on that type of talent who showed he could be lockdown in the best conference at the age of 19. 

Just now, GW21 said:

This has gotta be a move by NO to get capital to go up for a QB right? 

I wouldn't think so. Nothing in this draft would make me move on from Winston and his contract is structured in a way that it seems very unlikely that they cut him next year (they only save like 4 million if they cut him).  Because of the way their cap was built, they are largely locked into this core, so I'd imagine that they are targeting immediate contributors more than anything. 

I'd guess one of these picks is almost certainly a receiver and the other one could be a tackle. They have nobody to replace Armstead. If not a tackle, I could see it being a safety (lost Jenkins and Williams), corner or pass rusher. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I wouldn't think so. Nothing in this draft would make me move on from Winston and his contract is structured in a way that it seems very unlikely that they cut him next year (they only save like 4 million if they cut him).  Because of the way their cap was built, they are largely locked into this core, so I'd imagine that they are targeting immediate contributors more than anything. 

I'd guess one of these picks is almost certainly a receiver and the other one could be a tackle. They have nobody to replace Armstead. If not a tackle, I could see it being a safety (lost Jenkins and Williams), corner or pass rusher. 

That seems like a lot to give up just to fill holes this year. The 1 next year being a huge one with Bryce Young & CJ Stroud set to be in the draft. If NO falls on their face that's going to be a tough pill to swallow imo. 

Just now, GW21 said:

That seems like a lot to give up just to fill holes this year. The 1 next year being a huge one with Bryce Young & CJ Stroud set to be in the draft. If NO falls on their face that's going to be a tough pill to swallow imo. 

Yeah, but you can say that about any draft where you're giving up a future first. It's happened to Houston twice LOL. The second pick they gave up to get Watson turned into #4 overall and the future pick they gave up for Tunsil became #3 (which then became #6 and a 2023 first) 

Honestly, the way I see it, they gave up a 2024 second round pick to swap their first round pick next year for one this year. In most universes, it's likely that pick is probably in the 15-20 range as well so I don't think that there is going to be a huge difference in spot, though both teams are carrying a little risk (philly getting some decent reward though). 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but you can say that about any draft where you're giving up a future first. It's happened to Houston twice LOL. The second pick they gave up to get Watson turned into #4 overall and the future pick they gave up for Tunsil became #3 (which then became #6 and a 2023 first) 

Honestly, the way I see it, they gave up a 2024 second round pick to swap their first round pick next year for one this year. In most universes, it's likely that pick is probably in the 15-20 range as well so I don't think that there is going to be a huge difference in spot, though both teams are carrying a little risk (philly getting some decent reward though). 

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, and I also grasp the fact that we don't know what the draft is going to look like next year or if these guys put their names in.

I'm just saying that the high first rounders next year are going to have more value than in a year like this. So if NO craps the bed this year it's going to be hard to look at that value and be satisfied with this trade. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I get that Stingley may not have been as good after his freshmen season but that showed just how talented he was and how good he was. I'm not passing up on that type of talent who showed he could be lockdown in the best conference at the age of 19. 

Where are you picking at that you say that though? Top 5? Top 20? Top of the second round? Those would all have different answers from me.