2022 NFL Draft #1 (Senior Bowl & Combine)

Forge

53 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, he's almost a lock to be in need of a zbs scheme. Someone else mentioned it earlier, but he's got short arms and there are plenty of teams that's have threshold requirements that will at least push him down the board for some

And he's listed at 291? kinda light for a Center?

21 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah, a bit smaller and has shorter arms. People are saying that he can ONLY play center because of these limitations and this is why he is falling. I think if we did draft him, it'd be because we knew Mack was gone and we wouldn't play him anywhere else at that point anyway. I think he's a plug and play center though, and I think he'd be a very good one. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

He's a smaller center, not atypical for a guy in a zbs scheme. Was 296 at the combine, would probably like him to be about 300, but it's not crazy or anything. Richburg was 298 and was taller. Jason Kelce was in the 270's or something absurd like that. 

The arm length is a big concern though. Everyone knew he had shorter arms, but I think it was shockingly short. 31 inch is damn near unprecedented for success at the NFL level (even for a center) . 

• Like 1

I'm starting to suspect that SF is going to lock in on their center of choice for pick 61 even if most pundits feel that it is too early for the prospect. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if Cole Strange (or Jurgens, etc.) is drafted at 61 even though most people think they are third to fourth round values.

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Having watched a Cinci game or 2, I really like Pierce. He will go too high for us to have a chance, though. I also do not expect us to go WR until Day 3 if at all. May just see what UDFAs are left...

That would be risky. I hope they draft at least two WRs, with one even being as early as the third round. Having Wedington, Johnson, and Mack fight for the fifth and sixth spots is not ideal. None have shown that they belong in the league yet. One injury to Deebo, Aiyuk, or Jauan and we are suddenly relying on McCloud to play big snaps.

Edited by struby3

2 hours ago, struby3 said:

I'm starting to suspect that SF is going to lock in on their center of choice for pick 61 even if most pundits feel that it is too early for the prospect. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if Cole Strange (or Jurgens, etc.) is drafted at 61 even though most people think they are third to fourth round values.

I actually really do like Cole Strange...but yeah, 61 is a bit rich for me. Not a crazy big reach, but humorously enough would be very similar to how I felt about the Banks selection last year. So if we take him there, I won't be crazy about it. 

I feel like we would be very likely to reach at 61 for a center if we already know Mack is not coming back. I can understand shooting your shot on the guy you need in that scenario. If Mack is coming back, I'd sooner wait and draft centers where I felt comfortable taking them because if I missed out, no big deal, you can go to the next guy in line to try and develop. 

Interesting mock draft from B/R. 

#61 - Tariq Woolen

I don't know if corner is the top need right now, but I'd be very interesting in taking him if he's there. He's got the traits and we are in a position where he can mostly sit and learn for a year which is something he badly needs. 

It's really hard to find those traits, so I get it. 

#93 - Cam Jurgens

This makes sense. They had Strange go #71 (which is why I think that Strange at 61 wouldn't be the craziest thing ever and I wouldn't view it as a huge reach....likely that he's gone by our next pick, so if that is 100% who we want, I get it taking him at 61)

#105 - Kyle Philips 

I don't love this one. He's an okay talent, but he's a slot receiver and after signing Ray Ray, his punt return acumen is superfluous. 

#134 - Jake Ferguson

I don't know what the odds are that we will do this after re-signing Dwelley, but the player makes a ton of sense and was a TE I always thought the 49ers would like. He's well versed in playing the type of game we would want him to play. He's not overly athletic, but also not a wreck. Has okay size, but nothing great and no major red flags. Seems like a guy that could make an okay TE2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Interesting mock draft from B/R. 

#61 - Tariq Woolen

I don't know if corner is the top need right now, but I'd be very interesting in taking him if he's there. He's got the traits and we are in a position where he can mostly sit and learn for a year which is something he badly needs. 

It's really hard to find those traits, so I get it. 

#93 - Cam Jurgens

This makes sense. They had Strange go #71 (which is why I think that Strange at 61 wouldn't be the craziest thing ever and I wouldn't view it as a huge reach....likely that he's gone by our next pick, so if that is 100% who we want, I get it taking him at 61)

#105 - Kyle Philips 

I don't love this one. He's an okay talent, but he's a slot receiver and after signing Ray Ray, his punt return acumen is superfluous. 

#134 - Jake Ferguson

I don't know what the odds are that we will do this after re-signing Dwelley, but the player makes a ton of sense and was a TE I always thought the 49ers would like. He's well versed in playing the type of game we would want him to play. He's not overly athletic, but also not a wreck. Has okay size, but nothing great and no major red flags. Seems like a guy that could make an okay TE2.

I like the Jurgens and Ferguson picks, but not crazy about the others. 

I was watching footage of Penn St. @ Wisconsin to see some of Ebiketie (I like what I see, btw) and Ferguson caught my eye. He didn't go down easy once the ball was in his hands and he was where the QB expected him to be...sounds like a good Dwelley replacement to me!

On 4/1/2022 at 4:10 PM, StevenK said:

It seems like the Niners love South Carolina players, what’s the chances of us taking Enagbare (Edge) if he falls to us. 

He seems to be more of what we already have instead of the speed off the edge we wanted when we signed Dee Ford.