2021 Around the League Thread

beardown3231

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Adams says he isn’t going to play on tag.  We’ll see.  Most do.  

The problem is GB NEVER gives guaranteed money after the first year. Both Preston smith and davondre campbells new deals don’t have it. So what’s the motivation for Adams to sign a long term deal, when he’s already guaranteed the $20 this year, if there would be no guaranteed money afterwards- especially since gb doesn’t have the cap space to give him more guaranteed money this first year if he signed long term. 

its an interesting dynamic of two opposing forces 

16 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

The problem is GB NEVER gives guaranteed money after the first year. Both Preston smith and davondre campbells new deals don’t have it. So what’s the motivation for Adams to sign a long term deal, when he’s already guaranteed the $20 this year, if there would be no guaranteed money afterwards- especially since gb doesn’t have the cap space to give him more guaranteed money this first year if he signed long term. 

its an interesting dynamic of two opposing forces 

Yeah, I don't know totality of situation from GBs point of view.  I know Adams doesn't want to be tagged as top FA at  his position - no one does.

I think GB would be cool with one year on tag and then letting him hit UFA as that would be monetarily cheaper and safer than a gigantic long term deal even if short term cap hit can be reduced.

But he is going to be pissed as that puts him as FA at 30 rather than 29 and that 30 is a psychological barrier for big money deals.

I think he may hold out for awhile, make a big stink and eventually play.   But I am guessing he isn't there in offseason.

Maybe they trade him rather than go through the drama.   Not sure his trade market is that huge since you have to pay him too.

30 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Good Morning football said Rodgers should dump his salary so they can sign Adams.

I find those notions silly.   Everyone should get as much as they can.   Owners can pay entire salary cap number just from TV deals.

They can give Adams whatever they want if they’re willing to spend future dead cap like they did with Rodgers. It makes sense to do it for them - they’re in a title window that closes the minute Rodgers retires or leaves. 

11 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

So Browns are reportedly out on Watson, but it is unclear if Mayfield is going to be their guy.

Not sure what is happening there.

Yeah, that situation is a mess. I don't see Mayfield (with his personality) wanting to play there moving forward. They almost have to move him now.

9 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Carolina, NO, or Indianapolis all would give a few picks, no question

He is in last year of his deal.   That makes it harder.  Also he played really bad last year albeit he was hurt.

Not sure it would be more than one pick unless you thought enough to extend him.

To me he seems to have definite vision problems in pocket due to his size when playing closer to LOS.  I know other QBs have overcome it, but I am not seeing same ability from him.

If he was taller I bet he is one of better QBs in league.  He is just too short I think given his abilities.

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He is in last year of his deal.   That makes it harder.  Also he played really bad last year albeit he was hurt.

Not sure it would be more than one pick unless you thought enough to extend him.

To me he seems to have definite vision problems in pocket due to his size when playing closer to LOS.  I know other QBs have overcome it, but I am not seeing same ability from him.

If he was taller I bet he is one of better QBs in league.  He is just too short I think given his abilities.

Carson Wentz is absolute crap and just netted two mid round picks. Mayfield would get the Browns that, too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Carson Wentz is absolute crap and just netted two mid round picks. Mayfield would get the Browns that, too.

Maybe.   Not from me.   That Indy deal was insane btw.   They HAD to trade him. 

Ballard was looking at getting fired over it and he was squeezing extra picks out of Wash.   Rivera is not a bad coach, but completely out of his depth as a GM.