If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings haven’t changed their scheme since 2019. They’ve had different play callers, but they’ve kept the scheme. 

A run orientated scheme is just bad strategy in today's NFL, along with investing a ton in a RB.

There is a need for a dynamic passing game.

3 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

A run orientated scheme is just bad strategy in today's NFL, along with investing a ton in a RB.

There is a need for a dynamic passing game.

Green Bay runs the same scheme the Vikings do. As do the Rams. As do the 49ers. And as do a few other teams. It’s one of the more popular schemes in the NFL due to its QB friendly nature.

Run oriented, dynamic passing, etc. are not schemes. They are tendencies. And those tendencies are going to be based on the coaches and players who run them. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Green Bay runs the same scheme the Vikings do. As do the Rams. As do the 49ers. And as do a few other teams. It’s one of the more popular schemes in the NFL due to its QB friendly nature.

Run oriented, dynamic passing, etc. are not schemes. They are tendencies. And those tendencies are going to be based on the coaches and players who run them. 

As I understand it the vikinfs run a wide outside zone.

This is loosely connected the RPO schemes of the other offenses.

Do you think the Wilfs will consider letting Zimmer know that they don't intend to retain him now, or wait until they are officially eliminated? If they inform Zimmer that he is being let go at the end of the season, they would be able to interview candidates immediately.

1 minute ago, Nozizaki said:

If they inform Zimmer that he is being let go at the end of the season, they would be able to interview candidates immediately.

I’m pretty sure that the language about informing coaches is only for coaches who have expiring contracts. If the Wilfs want the team to interview candidates over the next two weeks, they’ll need to fire Zimmer. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nozizaki said:

Do you think the Wilfs will consider letting Zimmer know that they don't intend to retain him now, or wait until they are officially eliminated? If they inform Zimmer that he is being let go at the end of the season, they would be able to interview candidates immediately.

Do it! Definitely time to make a move. Don’t see what the point of taking a wait and see approach is. This was a playoff game today and they were outmatched. 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2021 at 8:58 PM, SemperFeist said:

I think Dennis Allen is making a push for my favorite HC candidate. 

I love the energy his defense plays with, how they fly around the field, and how they swarm to the ball. His defense also always seems ready for the big moments/games. And he’s shown the ability to do it whether he’s got his full contingent of players, or he’s inserting backups. 

After Frazier and Zimmer, plus the current environment of the league, I’ve been saying that this team needs an offensive minded HC moving forward, but looking around the league it doesn’t look like there’s a lot of strong options from the offensive side of the ball  

If it’s truly about hiring the best guy for the job, it’s hard for me to say that Dennis Allen and Todd Bowles aren’t two of the best candidates entering this upcoming coaching cycle  

Based on how great that Saints D has played I would not mind Dennis Allen as the HC.  Still not sure he is better than these guys, especially Bowles or Leftwitch but I assume Leftwitch will be the Jaguards HC.

Ryan Day
Todd Bowles
Vance Joseph
Byron Leftwitch
Sean Desai
Eric Bieniemy

Still say Ryan Day would be outstanding at it but long shot he most likely does not leave Ohio State.  Desai is a long shot but communication wise he will be a HC at some point.

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The only defensive minded head coach this team should consider is Bill Bellichek. Barring that, no defensive minded coach should even get an interview. Hire a top flight DC candidate, but this team needs to be one that relies on its offense. 

If you’re hiring a head coach based on the side of the ball they coach. You’re hiring process has failed. 

If you’re hiring a head coach based on the scheme they run. You’re hiring process has failed.

• Like 3

I would be surprised if they fired Zimmer before a divisional game against the Packers, when there's a minute chance they could still make the playoffs.  . . As of today.   

After the Packers game though, if its a Vikings loss, it could easily be a quick call where Zimmer gets on a plane to Kentucky instead of Minneapolis.  

Given the home record, certain game plan, calls within game situations and the loss to the Lions, there is more than enough legitimate ammo to force him out.   It could be a sad day, if it happens.   I liked Zimmer, a lot, but he seems wore down.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

I liked Zimmer, a lot, but he seems wore down.

Similar scenario that Green Bay had with McCarthy. Good coach that got stale and predictable.

Zimmer could still flourish with a new start with another team.

57 minutes ago, Ripline said:

Similar scenario that Green Bay had with McCarthy. Good coach that got stale and predictable.

Zimmer could still flourish with a new start with another team.

Not sure Zimmer could flourish with another team, he is a defensive coach and his defense gives up the 4th most yards per game in the NFL and they give up a lot of points, in the bottom 1/3 of the league in points per game given up.  They are the 5th worst rush defense and the 7th worst pass defense.  

Maybe it is the players but not sure Zimmer would just be outstanding as a DC even on another team, much less a HC which he just seems worn out by and not sure he is up for the job anymore.  His passion and intensity seems to have really taken a step back and not sure he has the energy or enthusiasm for it anymore.  

The team is not performing and just cannot finish games and win them and how the HC is not to blame for that I have no idea.  

• Like 1