The Mike Vrabel thread (+ coaching staff)

deeluxx3

13 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Came in to post this exact thing

Just when I want to hate the guy I just get pulllllllled allllll the wayyyyyy back in

not the point of the thread, i know, but derrick has really come into his own as a vocal leader

• Like 2

Overall, I love Vrabel. I think he's the coach we've needed for years. The guys will run through a wall for him, and he's helped build a winning culture here where we expect to win and we fight for each other. I've had my questions about how he's handled the defense at times, but as a whole, I think we're in a great place to be perennial contenders with him at the helm for years to come. I just don't think moving on from a guy that has turned our team into a consistent winner to start from scratch with a new coach/new staff/new philosophies/etc... is the way to go at all. He's got his stubborn tendencies, but I don't know a football coach in history that doesn't have some of that in him. At this point we're nitpicking a good coach that we should be thankful to have here. The grass isn't always greener.

I like Vrab's...but he does some very questionable things from a preparation and personnel standpoint. I think he will always keep us in the 9-11 win range, but will never likely get back to the AFC Championship with him as the head coach. 

His lack of trust in rookies, promote solely from within ideology, and willingness to sacrifice a game to simply rest starters and avoid injuries will always be an issue for me. There were some legit DC's available last offseason...and we decide to run it back with what we had...so here we are giving up 30+ points a game AGAIN!!! He doesn't play the skill players in the preseason, half barely practiced...and we come out the first six quarters looking like we are a step slow, which nearly put us in an 0-2 hole. 

Having said all of that, there is no obvious replacement that would get us over the hump, but we need to evolve on offense if we are going to ever truly compete for a SB, and clearly Mike is not looking to evolve.

I think we miss the playoffs this year and keep him for at least one more year, then it will be rebuild time, with Tanny, DH, Lewan, Byard all past their prime. I hate having zero faith but this organization has earned it...but I have been a fan since the "Luv Ya Blue" days so I will suffer through it!!

Does Vrabel not trust rookies, though?

AJ featured from the jump

Simmons featured as soon as he was healthy

Chris Jackson was a W1 starter in the slot versus Denver last year

Nate Davis played pretty early on

Fulton played early last year when healthy

I'm not trying to gas Vrabel up here, I just don't think it's true that he doesn't trust rookies. Wilson didn't deserve to be trusted. Evans wasn't healthy. Radunz isn't good apparently. Farley is hurt.

If you're healthy and competing in practice, he's going to play you.

• Like 1

Vrabel the person and Vrabel the players coach isn't the issue. Dunno why anyone's opinion of him would change on those things just based off the fact that his coordinator hires might suck.

He went 2 for 2 on hiring good OCs up to this point. Downing had about as ugly of a first game as you could have against Arizona. He wasn't incredible yesterday, but I thought he was decent/acceptable. It can potentially be compared to Arthur Smith's start here. I've seen that discussed here some, and most blame Mariota for the slow start(which is largely fair), but the offense didn't exactly explode to what it became under Arthur right when Tannehill took over. Vs the Chargers, Bucs and Panthers the offense was generally decent but wasn't the 30 ppg averaging offense we saw after that Panther game in 19 and throughout 2020.

Hopefully Downing looks at the success had in play action passing yesterday and uses it with frequency going forward. The talent on the offense is good enough to make up for an inconsistent coordinator(which would be a relatively fair description of his performance yesterday) for a few weeks while he finds his groove. It is however not good enough to often make up for what was that disaster in week 1. I'm hopeful week 1 was just a terrible game(and fair to note, as we all have, Downing isn't the only issue with the offense. We couldn't block anyone in the run or pass game, there's only so much play calling can do to help that) for the entire team and what we saw Sunday is an indicator of the good things we can do.

Defensively I have no idea what to think. We looked better in a lot of areas against Seattle, but 3 big pass plays make that hard to notice. One thing I do have hope for is when Cruk came in to play we played a lot better. Hopefully we're starting him next to Byard going forward and end the McDougald expirement. But for as good as Vrabel's OC track record has been, him letting Pees walk/not bringing him back in the DC role is a bad move, and hiring Bowen hasn't looked good so far either. This defense has the talent to at least be average, and Vrabel/Bowen need to get it there. If they don't, and Vrabel doesn't give away his control of the defense and hire an actual DC next offseason, he's going to be on the hot seat.

I don’t have a problem with Vrabel as the HC. I do have a problem with him basically taking over the defense once Pees left. Vrabel can’t coach the defensive side to save his life and honestly hasn’t developed any good pass-rushers. Hiring a friend to be his lackey. I still don’t think the defense is worth a damn with them running the show and the numbers are showing that so far through two games. I don’t like how he treats rookies but they have shown to make a jump in year two(ex: Fulton so far). I don’t like how he acts like Area 51 with injuries but whatever. I think he’s a good head coach who is a good leader but needs to let his coordinators run their side of the ball. 

3 hours ago, SerenityNow said:

Overall, I love Vrabel. I think he's the coach we've needed for years. The guys will run through a wall for him, and he's helped build a winning culture here where we expect to win and we fight for each other. I've had my questions about how he's handled the defense at times, but as a whole, I think we're in a great place to be perennial contenders with him at the helm for years to come. I just don't think moving on from a guy that has turned our team into a consistent winner to start from scratch with a new coach/new staff/new philosophies/etc... is the way to go at all. He's got his stubborn tendencies, but I don't know a football coach in history that doesn't have some of that in him. At this point we're nitpicking a good coach that we should be thankful to have here. The grass isn't always greener.

See Jeff fisher players loved fisher he was a winning coach too, but he lacked innovation & could never get us over the hump, because of stubbornness. The difference between the 2, Jeff was a prick & Mikes a D!ck

I've generally liked Vrabel because I like *******s but his arrogance makes me think he basically will never acknowledge his own faults when it comes to his coordinators and his 2003 mentality holds us back in playoff games.

That's the kind of stuff that makes me want to move off of someone who I think has the player side of coaching nailed. Lack of self-reflection.

Is he really good at getting results or do we have just have dudes on offense that you're going to win games with either way?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2021 at 7:29 PM, TitanSS said:

I've generally liked Vrabel because I like *******s but his arrogance makes me think he basically will never acknowledge his own faults when it comes to his coordinators and his 2003 mentality holds us back in playoff games.

That's the kind of stuff that makes me want to move off of someone who I think has the player side of coaching nailed. Lack of self-reflection.

Is he really good at getting results or do we have just have dudes on offense that you're going to win games with either way?

Well..  Tanny is a good/better then average QB though I don't have him in the top 10.  Our OL is netter average but not elite  We just played a game with zero WR's that would be starting on the "top" teams in football.  Our secondary is slightly better then average. Our LB core is below average, though Landry is a top level player.  Our DL has two  good players so above average. Our place kicker is below average.   Our TE's are average. What does that leave, a elite punter who missed todays game and it showed, 12 yard punt from deep in our territory.  Two elite WR's who didn't play today.  

AND Finally the best player not a QB in FOOTBALL> 

SO you tell me the idea concept that we can win and dominate games when all we have going to separate us from other teams is KING Henry makes no sense to me.