2021 Week Three GDT Steelers vs the Bengals!

Steeler Hitman

Will Da Steelers do enough to beat the Bengals?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? Steelers or Bengals

• Yes, Steelers rebound at home and offense does just enough to win.
    • No, the Bengals win and further humiliate a struggling Steelers offense

58 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

They are just trying to turn everything into easily digestible metrics for comparison. The problem is, that without some form of context being added to the math, it doesn't work. Like in coverage, if the corner is man to man against a receivers and the CB falls down and the nearest defender is a S who was in the middle of the field....that S is likely to get dinged if he was the "closest" defender despite it not being his responsibility. Coverage stats also don't give you the benefit of doing your job well, unless the ball is thrown at you. 

Agreed!!!

Offensive line is a little more cut and dry. Did you get beat by the man your blocking? It's a bit more of a pass/fail assessment. They are not perfect by any means, but I do think blocking grades are more realistic. 

Slightly disagree. It is easier if you ole' skool ball with going helmet to helmet. There are DL stunts, adjustments based on positioning and other factors. It is kind of like having to think when you aren't comfortable than to just go. To use a martial arts analogy by the late great Bruce Lee, "I don't hit back. It hits back all by itself." Take take that to OL or most any other position in football, if you can just block, hit, tackle, attack as opposed to having to think it is easier. There are some articles and film that backed how the Raiders were doing things to confuse the Steelers OL.  When you veteran group that is cohesive and playing together, that is less likely to happen. I agree that last year this was probably more the case (the OL just getting beat). 

In terms of Dan's play. I don't know....could be? He seems to have highs and lows. I haven't watched enough of the OLine to try to grade against each other. But I also don't think he is getting his butt kicked all day long on the edge. 

I don't really think that is the case with the other OL's either. They are getting fooled, beat to the point of attack rather than just being physically manhandled as a unit. That is the perception, but I don't think this OL has the same issues as last years who knew what they were doing, but just getting blown up. I could be wrong, if I took a really deep dive and evaluated some OL film, but from my initial eye test and some things that I have seen and read from others whom I respect, I think the OL can improve with adding the starting RT and moving the LT to where he is most comfortable. I used the example of playing Mat Feiler at LG last year. I believed and argued that move essentially weakened two spots on the OL.

I'm not sure why you think its fake news.

I was more referring to how PFF evaluates and grades, not that our OL is not bad right now.

Our run blocking has been trash and Ben got hit 10 times last week, a lot from interior pressures. I'm not sure that deserves a lot of passing grades. 

Agreed. I said that I would be hard pressed to grade the best OL at even a C right now based on overall play.

I

n terms of Dotson, I do agree with the grades at this point. Like I said, from watching last week it was eye opening to me how bad he was. I expected a lot more. He was easily getting beat by his man, showed no strength when pulling, and couldn't get to his spot, was winded, or just didn't care on a screen play. 

Again, I am not saying that he is playing his best football, just saying it is hard to fairly evaluate based on the circumstance. Now if he isn't putting fourth effort or not in shape, that's another issue. I am going to pay a little more attention to him (from an effort standpoint). Success breeds confidence and failures can test your intestinal fortitude. Hopefully this group has an indomitable spirit. They are going through a lot of growing pains and getting hammered for most everything. The latest: Not helping your QB up. That should be Football and OL 101!

Through 2 games, it doesn't really matter who is beside him -- he is getting his butt handed to him 1 on 1. I am hoping he kicks it back into gear this week. 

Went back and watched the first half before hitting send: yes, I feel very confident that if someone told me Dotson was our worst OL so far that I couldn't put together enough good tape to tell prove that's incorrect.

I trust and I will accept your assessment a lot more readily than I will PFF. I will accept that. 

IMO, it looks like he cannot move. That feels new, so I am kinda hoping its a health thing he can work through. 

He had some injury issues in camp if I recall. Not making an excuse for him, but the bottom line is the entire OL has to get better. Are you hurt or injured son? 

10 minutes ago, cjfollett said:

My hope is the Steelers OL will improve as the season progresses, and the team will eke out enough wins to stay in the hunt through their struggles.

I was more optimistic before watching the regular season games. The O looks mostly terrible -- much the same as they did to end last season. The D looked fantastic with all the starters, but not so great without a few of them. That's probably true of every team, but if the O cannot move the ball and score, it's going to be brutal.

Cinci is a bit of a benchmark game. If the Steelers cannot win this game, they are likely looking at 2-4 or 1-5 at the bye at best. A win Sunday, and they can hope for 3-3 or 4-2. 

I think that is pretty honest and realistic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 43M said:

Sure that isnt Mark Madden's burner account?

It probably is.  I heard he's ranting about Watt being hurt right after signing and people are a bunch of "marks".  Guy is as clueless as they come.  The only people that like him are people that think the WWE is real.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

Watt is now out. But which one of you did this:

Like I’m not even laughing. Get a dang life. 

Irrationally blaming Tomlin for something he has no control of? Common War, we know who it is. 

It’s That damned Ben Roethlisberger again! 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, August4th said:

Everything else, what’s left? That’s an awful injury report. The back ups back up is out with a knee injury too? That’s an awful sign.

I know I’ve mentioned this before, but now w/ Alualu out for the year & Tuitt’s return status uncertain I think the Steelers should be exploring trades for DL. 

One place they could turn is to make a trade w/ Washington for Matt Ioannidis or Tim Settle. Either could start for the Steelers at NT or DE.

As someone who was on Watt's side throughout the contract negotiations, I can't help but be more than a little disappointed that he's allowing a minor groin tweak (even by his own admission) keep him out of basically two games. This is the sort of thing that players 20 years ago would have played through, but I'm supposed to be fine with a guy now making $30 mil a year sitting out. It's a 17 game season and the team is going to need every win it can get to even hope of making the playoffs. This isn't basketball or baseball where you have some crazy long season where you can make-up for a few games missed later on.

It's not so much a Watt issue as it is an issue with modern players and the league as a whole, though.