Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I'll address this as such - if he was a contender for an OC/Assistant HC position, I'd probably endorse it in a vacuum. He had his strengths, he gets QBs to play well and he has a knack for getting a run game going regardless of who is his RB.

BoB is a good offensive mind - however, nobody is hiring him to be an OC, they're hiring him to be a HC, which involves a lot of in-game decisions that he consistently demonstrated to be below average at. Nothing better illustrates this than the fake punt vs KC in the playoffs. That one is the cherry on top, he's got an entire binder full of "WTF!?" decisions like that other games (that one stands out as the biggest one because it was on the biggest stage he's ever been on - but every Texans fan will have a story of a baffling BoB decision on the middle of a game.

As long as your expectations are low (as in, an eyelash above Urban Meyer) you're okay... I think.

So if he was hired do you not think he could  put a solid scheme around Lawrence and get him to play up to his potential? Because if he does that he’s already miles ahead of Urban and this team is likely at least in the playoff discussions in December.

This isn’t what I’m looking for per se (as in that being the ceiling), but this fanbase and organization can’t afford another coach who flops. Lawrence is cooked if that happens.

22 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

How the **** is this thread still going.

It started out with a ludicrous proclamation about Trevor Lawrence and it has somehow seemed to morph into a thread about Mac Jones.  Maybe the name of the thread should be changed to "Enough about Trevor Lawrence - Mac Jones has already reached his ceiling."  That is almost as crazy as saying Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags. 

My opinion is that both of these QB's are going to be fine.  Trevor needs an offseason to clear his head and then study the tape from this season to build on his ability to read defenses, make some minor adjustments to his ball placement on certain routes, and learn a new offensive scheme with whom we hope will be a much improved coaching staff.

Mac Jones doesn't have the physical tools that Trevor has, but he has more than enough to be a very successful NFL quarterback.  People just need to give him time.  He's working with the greatest head coach in the history of the game, so he should continue to improve on what has already been a nice rookie season. 

Having gone through the rookie seasons of players like Christian Ponder, Tarvaris Jackson, etc., I know what a bust looks like.  In Ponder's case, I knew he was a bust as soon as the pick was announced.  Neither Mac Jones nor Trevor Lawrence are anywhere close to being a bust, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

It started out with a ludicrous proclamation about Trevor Lawrence and it has somehow seemed to morph into a thread about Mac Jones.  Maybe the name of the thread should be changed to "Enough about Trevor Lawrence - Mac Jones has already reached his ceiling."  That is almost as crazy as saying Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags. 

My opinion is that both of these QB's are going to be fine.  Trevor needs an offseason to clear his head and then study the tape from this season to build on his ability to read defenses, make some minor adjustments to his ball placement on certain routes, and learn a new offensive scheme with whom we hope will be a much improved coaching staff.

Mac Jones doesn't have the physical tools that Trevor has, but he has more than enough to be a very successful NFL quarterback.  People just need to give him time.  He's working with the greatest head coach in the history of the game, so he should continue to improve on what has already been a nice rookie season. 

Having gone through the rookie seasons of players like Christian Ponder, Tarvaris Jackson, etc., I know what a bust looks like.  In Ponder's case, I knew he was a bust as soon as the pick was announced.  Neither Mac Jones nor Trevor Lawrence are anywhere close to being a bust, IMO.

I already did a pretty successful thread about Mac Jones' ceiling. I've done it all this season. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

So if he was hired do you not think he could  put a solid scheme around Lawrence and get him to play up to his potential?

I think he could - at the expense of literally everything else. And even this would be tempered by poor playcalling in the majority of situations (be expecting a lot of shotgun draws and WR screens on 3rd down, regardless of distance).

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

This isn’t what I’m looking for per se (as in that being the ceiling), but this fanbase and organization can’t afford another coach who flops. Lawrence is cooked if that happens.

I agree. I just think there are coaches with higher ceilings/floors, such as Caldwell.

• Like 1

When it comes to BoB, I think there have to be better options.  If there are not better options available to us, it would have to be because no one better wants to work with our GM.  If that happens, I have to believe Shad Khan is a good enough businessman (even if he doesn't know much about football) to be willing to address that and give Baalke his walking papers. 

I want no part of BoB in Jacksonville.  It would be like marrying an ugly girl and saying "I know she's not much to look at, but at least she's an OK cook."  We can do better than that!

31 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I already did a pretty successful thread about Mac Jones' ceiling. I've done it all this season. 

xD  This thread has already gone [edit] 56 pages, so I have to give you credit for that.  You definitely know how to get people riled up enough to get conversations going.  That's a talent that not everyone has.  Kudos to you, buddy. 

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

Too many people looked the other way at his warts during the pre draft process (the same with Zack Wilson) and they are rearing their ugly heads. He wasn't a plug and play type of QB despite his skillset, he needed development.

The good thing about him is that he had a tremendous skill set, and he is not so gone mentally that he can't be repaired. Based off the track record, I think Bill O'Brien would be a godsend for him and his development 

And no, that was not a "bad" pick, it was a "bad" hire.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

His work while at Penn State to get Hackenberg looked at the way he did, to Watson in HOU, to Bryce Young winning a heisman and him being the OC there. I’d feel at least some optimism towards at least putting Lawrence in a feasible situation for success/putting a solid scheme/staff to help develop him. 

Hackenberg never really showed any progress though. The Hackenberg I watched stink it up in the AAF was the same Hackenberg who looked full of potential as a freshman. 

Watson was just plain talented. I'd actually argue BoB held his talent back. 

As for Young....college parody is at an all time low. It may as well be rechristened the Alabama Starting QB Unless A RB Breaks Out Award. Bryce Young would've been just as likely to win the Heisman with Steve Sarkisian, Lane Kiffin, or Helen Keller calling or designing plays for Alabama's offense. 

O'Brien is the classic Belichik guy. He makes his name off of other peoples' work and talent. Don't get me wrong, kudos to him for Penn St, but their cupboard wasn't exactly bare. Houston had a decent core when he arrived, and he caught fire with Watson, but they were hardly ever really good. And he waltzed into one of the easiest gigs known to man at Alabama- where he arguably underachieved all things considered. 

Honestly, he would be horrible for Jacksonville, given what they need. Take Watson out of the equation since he carried him, and what has Bill ever actually accomplished on his own? Winning the worst division in the NFL a few times? His drafts were pretty bad, playcalling was pretty bad, game management was laughably bad, and he managed to lose the locker room.

Is that really what Jacksonville needs to take a stab at? He'd almost assuredly get 2-3 years (as Meyer probably would have had he not been a collosal tool). By the end of it, you're probably not salvaging Lawrence or anyone else, if not trapping what talent is there into a 3rd regime. 

31 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Too many people looked the other way at his warts during the pre draft process (the same with Zack Wilson) and they are rearing their ugly heads. He wasn't a plug and play type of QB despite his skillset, he needed development.

The good thing about him is that he had a tremendous skill set, and he is not so gone mentally that he can't be repaired. Based off the track record, I think Bill O'Brien would be a godsend for him and his development 

And no, that was not a "bad" pick, it was a "bad" hire.

You had me in the first half, not gonna lie!

• Like 1

so here's a question.. let's say Jets didn't inexplicably win those games late in the season last year

Lawrence goes to the Jets, Wilson (presumably) goes to the Jags

Do you think either team (or player) has a significantly different season than they actually had?

4 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

so here's a question.. let's say Jets didn't inexplicably win those games late in the season last year

Lawrence goes to the Jets, Wilson (presumably) goes to the Jags

Do you think either team (or player) has a significantly different season than they actually had?

Lawrence would do slightly better because as bad as the Jets are, Robert Saleh is Lombarlichick compared to Urban Meyer. Wilson on the Jaguars would lead to 0-16.

• Like 1