Jaguars trade CB CJ Henderson and 5th for TE Dan Arnold and 3rd

MikeT14

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Atlanta is unique, because our first rounders tend to be solid, but the rest tend to be trash:

2008 - Ryan and Sam Baker (Starting QB and starting LT from 2008 to 2014)

2009 - Peria Jerry (Bust)

2010 - Sean Weatherspoon (starting MLB from 2010 to 2015, had a year in AZ)

2011 - Julio Jones (best WR in team history)

2013 - Desmond Trufant (started at CB1 from 2013-2019 for the Falcons)

2014 - Jake Matthews (Starting LT)

2015 - Vic Beasley (bust, but had some flash. Starting EDGE from 2015-2019)

2016 - Keanu Neal (not with us, but DQ loved him. Starting SS from 2016-2020)

2017 - Takk McKinley (bust)

2018 - Calvin Ridley (Starting WR)

2019 - Chris Lindstrom, Kaleb McGary (Starting RG and RT)

2020 - AJ Terrell (Starting CB)

2021 - Kyle Pitts (Starting TE)

Your participation in the Super Bowl in the last...forever has negated your involvement in this pity party

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EvilenFroggen said:

The right way to look at any NFL move is “wait and see,” but this one is even wait and seeier that others.

I will say that I’m happy to see the team make moves that aren’t Hurney’s “give them next year’s first” for guys like Otah and Everette Brown. 

Yup. This is a much smarter move. Give them a backup TE and a 3rd for the guy you want and a 5th is a pretty low risk move.

• Like 1

I used to ask myself how the Lions could possibly have a top five pick in the draft every single year and never get any better.  Then I made the decision to sign up for a lifetime course on finding out the answer. 

Moves like this make me think of an often used soundbite of Vikings play-by-play announcer, Paul Allen on his radio show.  It concerns the folly of gambling, and it says:

"[Instead of gambling with your money, here's a better idea.]  How about if we just go outside, you give me only half of your money, I'll kick you in the nuts, and we'll call it a day!"  

Oh well.  I still love the Jags so I'm willing to take the bad with the bad, er, I mean, the bad with the good.  xD 

On a more serious note, it sounds like CJ Henderson had some possible mental health issues that even his physical skills weren't going to allow him to overcome, so the team made the decision to move on and at least get a player at a position of current need.  It's sad to lose out on a talent like CJ, and I hope he can get everything figured out and possibly move on with his career.  God bless the young man.

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

It happens every year with the Raiders 1st round pick. I think Kolton is their only hit?

Pretty much and it's remarkable how he's turned around so drastically. Dude put up the worst rookie T season in history and now he's a baller.

Ruggs looks like he's turned the corner and Jacobs is great, just always hurt.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Pretty much and it's remarkable how he's turned around so drastically. Dude put up the worst rookie T season in history and now he's a baller.

Ruggs looks like he's turned the corner and Jacobs is great, just always hurt.

The Raiders are rockin' so far this season.  Love to see it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

Yup. This is a much smarter move. Give them a backup TE and a 3rd for the guy you want and a 5th is a pretty low risk move.

Exactly. Relatively low stakes dice roll, and I’m confident that the FO did their due diligence. 

Henderson’s issues are obviously serious enough that the Jags are willing to cut bait, so that can’t be dismissed. But the teams are in two different places with two different sets of problems. Maybe Rhule and Fitterer believe they’re in a place with the rest of the roster that they can devote the needed time to a troubled young man, whereas Meyer is picking his battles and prioritizing other aspects of the team.  Effort and attention are finite resources.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

He's only played 10 games, seems far too soon to say he probably won't live up to his draft hype.  He's on the 2nd year of his rookie contract.  He's almost certainly better than any prospect that will be in the 3rd round next year.

And as a corner, especially with his skill-set, he couldn't be coming into a better situation. He's got arguably the best pass rush in the NFL in front of him.  Donte Jackson has been lights out, so there won't be a ton of pressure on him to take care of the #1 guy.  He's got a great DC.  He'll be playing in a heavy press-man scheme, which was his best fit coming out of school (not sure what the Jags run).  

I'm not saying he's guaranteed for success, far from it, but I don't see how you can say we got fleeced.  If we took this guy in the 3rd round next year, it'd be an amazing pick and well worth the risk.  We're just getting him on the team a season earlier.  If he fails, it is a bummer but still would have been worth it.  If all works out the Panthers have 2 super athletic man corners drafted in the top 10 younger and both younger than 23.  

I don't think you got fleeced.  CJ has a the physical talent that got him drafted at #9 overall, so that alone probably makes him worth the gamble.  If he can get things straightened out, he could end up having a very nice run with you guys.