Packers TE Martellus Bennett to retire at the end of the season

marky mark

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure you know what you're talking about.  He's been really good blocking, but his receiving hasn't come around like we thought it would be.  Never really seemed on the same page as Rodgers.  With a full offseason, little doubt he would have taken off.  As for him or Jared Cook, he didn't have those lapses that Cook seemed to have.

well you dont sign a te to a 7 mil/year deal to be a really good blocker and have little contribution in the pass game. and cook had lapses in what way? like losing concentration? cause ive seen bennett lose concentration drop passes he shouldnt.

10 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

well you dont sign a te to a 7 mil/year deal to be a really good blocker and have little contribution in the pass game. and cook had lapses in what way? like losing concentration? cause ive seen bennett lose concentration drop passes he shouldnt.

Of course you don't.

Those puffing Bennett's blocking are a small segment of Packer fans who don't want to concede that Bennett was a a huge disappointment even before he pretty much threw in the towel on the team last night.

The reality is that "Bennett ranks fourth on the Packers with 24 catches but doesn't have a touchdown and has a team-high four dropped passes, which ranks tied for fourth in the NFL entering Week 8." 

6 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

If he was only playing one more season....why not just take the money NE offered him? :(

I don't think he signed his contract with the belief he was retiring at the end of the season. I'm sure he had a multi year plan in his head, and is now not interested in said plan.

Bennett was openly talking about getting out of the game in training camp.

"Bennett was discussing all his future plans three days after the Packers' preseason opener against the Philadelphia Eagles, when his mind suddenly snapped back to football. “I could retire any time nowadays,” Bennett, unprompted, told PackersNews.com on Aug. 13."

Bennett loved speaking to the Green Bay press until Rodgers got hurt, but has tapped out since Rodgers went down.

"Martellus Bennett was discussing his business pursuits, a frequent topic. The Green Bay Packers tight end hasn’t fielded a question from the media about football in more than two weeks, since before quarterback Aaron Rodgers went on injured reserve, but Bennett always — always — has time to discuss business pursuits."

Not too difficult to connect the dots that once Rodgers got hurt and stopped playing Bennett's desire to play nosedived and his thoughts turned to his future endeavors outside the game.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/10/29/packers-te-martellus-bennett-imagining-life-after-nfl-career/811489001/

14 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Of course you don't.

Those puffing Bennett's blocking are a small segment of Packer fans who don't want to concede that Bennett was a a huge disappointment even before he pretty much threw in the towel on the team last night.

The reality is that "Bennett ranks fourth on the Packers with 24 catches but doesn't have a touchdown and has a team-high four dropped passes, which ranks tied for fourth in the NFL entering Week 8." 

You have a penchant to completely make stuff up to try and strengthen your own point against imaginary counter arguments.

Every GB fan in here who mentioned his blocking also stated he has been a disappointment in the passing game.

On 10/29/2017 at 6:47 AM, Pugger said:

I donno about that.  He's been one of our better blockers...   

Nah, when Packer fan Pugger, in response to Ying-Yang's statement that Bennett is "not playing all that well this season anyway," stated " I donno about that. He's been one of our better blockers ..." she was completely ignoring Bennett's "contributions" in the passing game and parroting the company line that well hey Martellus has been a good blocker so signing him as a free agent was still a pretty good move.

As multiple other posters have correctly pointed out, Bennett was not signed to be a high-priced blocking tight end.

No matter how great a blocker he might be, Bennett's ineffectiveness as a receiver still makes him a huge disappointment overall. 

Focusing upon Bennett's blocking is just a way for certain fans to make themselves feel better about him.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Every GB fan in here who mentioned his blocking also stated he has been a disappointment in the passing game.

When GB lost 4 OTs to injury, Bennett's role in the offense changed.

We saw the multi-TE plan deployed in preseason, fun to watch. But unfortunately, things outside of his control changed. And while he hasn't been the pass-catching demon many hoped for, he was also the insurance policy that really helped out the back-up OTs and OGs handling the edge. Thankless job, but pretty damn important for the early-2017 offense.

I think his brothers' run- in with the law in vegas and some of the other social issues are giving him pause about continuing his career. Medical concerns too.

Wish him all the best and hope the rest of this season has a few enjoyable moments for him.

On 10/29/2017 at 4:17 PM, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Can we have one season of Belichick as DC before Rodgers retires in exchange for Bennett for the remainder of this season?

After Brady retires yes, but to sweeten the pot you have to let us allow Bret Favre as a our new back up QB. Or Bart Starr. I really don't care who anymore.

20 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Nah, when Packer fan Pugger, in response to Ying-Yang's statement that Bennett is "not playing all that well this season anyway," stated " I donno about that. He's been one of our better blockers ..." she was completely ignoring Bennett's "contributions" in the passing game and parroting the company line that well hey Martellus has been a good blocker so signing him as a free agent was still a pretty good move.

As multiple other posters have correctly pointed out, Bennett was not signed to be a high-priced blocking tight end.

No matter how great a blocker he might be, Bennett's ineffectiveness as a receiver still makes him a huge disappointment overall. 

Focusing upon Bennett's blocking is just a way for certain fans to make themselves feel better about him.

Don't be condescending.  In another thread I did state he has been a disappointment.   He was forced to help block because of our tackle situation.  smh

Archived