Post Game Thoughts. Browns.

cconocool

We've lost all 3 games due to various phases of the game. I think the takeaway is, through 4 weeks, we aren't a complete football team.

Zimmer preaches mistake free football. Along with the other 31 coaches. Fact is the players haven't executed in all 3 phases of the game.

• Like 2

The Vikings are about a top 10 talented team who is 1-3.  

Weren’t prepared and lost to a team they should have beat.  

Had an unfortunate loss against a good team.  

Played well and beat a solid team.  

Played good, but not good enough in an even game. 

So right now an above average team with a losing record that hasn’t done enough to be better.  

Edited by Snake Plissken
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

I think the takeaway is, through 4 weeks, we aren't a complete football team.

I think this is a very fair assessment. 

But, I don’t think they are far from being a complete team either. As we’ve seen both highs and lows of each unit. So, they can do it. It’s now about becoming consistent. 

2 hours ago, viking said:

But we spent 30m in the offseason on the D line and on the O line we've spent 1stx2 2ndx2 3rdx1 on the offensive line?

I wonder why we got dominated in the trenches? I think it may be the coaches.

Coaching probably is the biggest issue for us. The talent is definitely there.

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Our biggest weakness talent wise on offense is the LT. On defense, its CB2. Overall, its a very talented roster.

I think the coaching isn't using this talent to the best of its ability. 

That doesn’t answer the question. Just a vague, non-committal statement. What specifically is the coaching staff doing or not doing that would have changed the outcome of this or any other game this season?

5 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

That doesn’t answer the question. Just a vague, non-committal statement. What specifically is the coaching staff doing or not doing that would have changed the outcome of this or any other game this season?

Week 1 we went into Cincy completely unprepared, it showed with double digit penalties (15 total, 11 accepted, I believe). That's not something that can be ignored. Its terrible and probably cost us the game.

Week 2 on the last drive we went right down the field and settled for a Field Goal attempt to end the game, even when everything was clicking on offense. We miss and lose the game. I think some might criticize Zimmer for the defensive laps but Arizona just has a great offense.

No issues at all week 3. Very complete game and no mental errors.

Week 4 was more so domination by Cleveland, who was winning at the LOS all day long on both sides. After the first drive, it just seemed like we came out there every drive and looked lackadaisical. It was like watching the 2011 offense with Ponder. You already knew what the result was going to be (a punt or turnover).

I think Zimmer is a good coach. I just don't think he's the right coach for us anymore.

15 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

What specifically is the coaching staff doing or not doing that would have changed the outcome of this or any other game this season?

They aren’t good at playing chess. Zimmer and his coaching staff don’t do a well enough job game planning for their specific opponent. This game against the Browns was a prime example. 

They had an opposing coach who not only had an intimate knowledge of the Vikings’ players, knowing their strengths and their weaknesses, but he also had a deep knowledge of the offense. And what did the Vikings do to counter that knowledge? Nothing. They ran the same offense that they always have. No new wrinkles, no new formations, nothing to challenge Stefanski and his defense. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

So penalties in week 1 is the only coaching specific issue so far this season, but coaching is costing them games? Even though the players were in a position to win every game so far?

Do you think coaching played a role at all in this game or the season at all?