Cowboys cut LB Jaylon Smith

.Buzz

7 hours ago, offbyone said:

By the way, there is like 4 weeks until the trade deadline.  Why didn't they troll other teams for a while longer?  Injuries happening every week.  Did they need the roster spot that bad?

Because they would have owed him $9.2 million for 2022 if he were hurt this year. It doesn’t seem like any team, including the Cowboys, wanted to take that risk. I still can’t believe they signed him to that contract after 1 highly productive season after the injury. I would have at least made him prove he could do it two years in a row, but props to them for cutting their losses.

Edited by JohnChimpo

3 hours ago, JohnChimpo said:

Because they would have owed him $9.2 million for 2022 if he were hurt this year. It doesn’t seem like any team, including the Cowboys, wanted to take that risk. I still can’t believe they signed him to that contract after 1 highly productive season after the injury. I would have at least made him prove he could do it two years in a row, but props to them for cutting their losses.

They could have just made him inactive for a couple weeks and see if they got a pick.  Agree, props to them for moving on, I just don't get the rush.  I would have tried harder to trade him.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

They could have just made him inactive for a couple weeks and see if they got a pick.  Agree, props to them for moving on, I just don't get the rush.  I would have tried harder to trade him.

Based on the fact that they didn't, you have to assume that word from other GMs was there was no way they would take the contract as-is.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

Based on the fact that they didn't, you have to assume that word from other GMs was there was no way they would take the contract as-is.

I guess that makes sense, just seems like a lot of immediate interest in signing him and there should have been a way to get something for him.  I had thought dallas already paid most of the cap hit, but I must be mistaken.

On 10/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, matt79511 said:

bold thing to assume of a guy with the word Matt in his username

Only explanation I could come up with since you clearly think his and the other spellings of Jaylon's first name was so cool. 

Family member maybe? 😎