What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

My ordered copy of the Swamp Thing series on Blu-Ray came in the mail yesterday and I started watching it, it's pretty good so far. It's a shame it got abruptly cancelled after it just aired on the DC Universe app. Here's hoping it gets picked up for Season 2 on HBO Max. 

Spent a lot of time on Planes this week, so caught up on a lot of various streaming shows. 

Jack Ryan - hadn't watched before, crushed both seasons during the week, mostly on flights. Long story short, first season good, second season not. Second season was honestly just not that enjoyable. First season I thought was very strong, however, a lot of which may be on the back of it's villain, who was much more 3 dimensional and not as much of a caricature as season 2's. I feel like some shows don't realize that a lot of the success / failure of a season stems from the villain more so than the heroes a lot of time. 

The Expanse- Okay, this is a little bit of cheating because I had watched the first three seasons or whatever in the months leading up to the new season on Amazon. I thought the newest season felt flat. Source material just kind of sucked it feels like, tbh. So that may have been a book issue more than a show issue. The seasons before the Amazon year were amazing. 

October Faction - Meh. I mean, mostly harmless. It got me to watch it all the way through, but a lot was extremely predictable. The show as a whole was just missing a ton of stuff to keep things engaging. It was just one of those shows you watch and it was like a solid D+ or C-. It wasn't bad or anything, but it wasn't good and largely wasn't remarkable or memorable in any way. 

High Fidelity- This is tricky. Full Disclosure, the book is one of my favorites, as is the move. I absolutely loved the movie. Kravitz has a really tough task because I think Rob Gordon is the role Cusack was born to play, and he was amazing at it. Kravitz lacks the exasperation and sometimes hopeless surrender of Cusack, and his neuroses is far better accentuated in the movie in my opinion. But she does a pretty solid job overall. The gender bending didn't bother me at all. Some of the homages to the movie were a little too on the nose, but I actually enjoyed a lot of the interaction between Rob and his friends a little more (felt just a tad bit more natural in typical conversation, though the movie did have fantastic instances where the supporting casts definitely evoked those, "yeah,  I know that dude" feelings). David Holmes is a significant, significant improvement over Luiso in the original, though Sakhno doesn't pull off the haughtiness of Catherine Zeta Jones in the original as Cat. Randolph is either an improvement or set back compared to Jack Black, dependent almost entirely on how you feel about Black. 

I don't know, for the most part, I liked it. Maybe not as much as the movie, but I Thought it was really pretty enjoyable. Kravitz is likable (and there's a fun symmetry to her playing Rob when her real life mother played marie de salle in the original ), the interactions between her, Cherise and Simon are all well done, if not quite as over the top in some instances as the movie. They feel a little more naturally flowing. Also thought some of the modern updating worked very well. 

Very decent show . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

High Fidelity- This is tricky. Full Disclosure, the book is one of my favorites, as is the move. I absolutely loved the movie. Kravitz has a really tough task because I think Rob Gordon is the role Cusack was born to play, and he was amazing at it. Kravitz lacks the exasperation and sometimes hopeless surrender of Cusack, and his neuroses is far better accentuated in the movie in my opinion. But she does a pretty solid job overall. The gender bending didn't bother me at all. Some of the homages to the movie were a little too on the nose, but I actually enjoyed a lot of the interaction between Rob and his friends a little more (felt just a tad bit more natural in typical conversation, though the movie did have fantastic instances where the supporting casts definitely evoked those, "yeah,  I know that dude" feelings). David Holmes is a significant, significant improvement over Luiso in the original, though Sakhno doesn't pull off the haughtiness of Catherine Zeta Jones in the original as Cat. Randolph is either an improvement or set back compared to Jack Black, dependent almost entirely on how you feel about Black. 

I don't know, for the most part, I liked it. Maybe not as much as the movie, but I Thought it was really pretty enjoyable. Kravitz is likable (and there's a fun symmetry to her playing Rob when her real life mother played marie de salle in the original ), the interactions between her, Cherise and Simon are all well done, if not quite as over the top in some instances as the movie. They feel a little more naturally flowing. Also thought some of the modern updating worked very well. 

Very decent show . 

I started this last night as I felt like something a little lighter than Better Call Saul (which I’m really enjoying and will finish s4 this week or so as well).  I’ve never read the book but I do really like the movie but even that took 2-3 movies to really solidify it for me.  I’m not a fan of unnecessary narration or breaking the 4th wall, but both the movie and show have pulled it off.  Time will tell if the supporting cast will be full of such gems as CZG, Lili Taylor but I agree the dialogue has been on point (4 eps in mind you).  

Some of the scenes have turned out better than the movie like the debate about the Michael Jackson album which felt so natural.  I didn’t particularly care for Laura in the movie and I like Mac better.  I’m curious to see who plays the equivalent of Tim Robbins and how close to the vest they go.  Zoe’s performance is much more laid back than Cusack was but she’s completely dreamy in her own self-despondent way. 

Being only half hour eps, I’ll prolly finish this season tonight. I’m hoping it closes strong. 

Edited by thrILL!

Started Blue Bloods with the wife as a show to put on to have something on, since Hulu has something like 8 or 9 seasons of it.  We're 8 or 9 episodes in now, and it's a solid procedural.  Not sure about the over aching storyline about the Blue Templars is going to be any good, but some times shows take a little bit of time to hit their stride.  We just got through the episode where the serial killer gets released on a DNA lab technicality and that was probably the best episode so far.  Tom Selleck was brilliant casting for the police commissioner/head of the family.

On 2/18/2020 at 8:01 AM, THE DUKE said:

Started Blue Bloods with the wife as a show to put on to have something on, since Hulu has something like 8 or 9 seasons of it.  We're 8 or 9 episodes in now, and it's a solid procedural.  Not sure about the over aching storyline about the Blue Templars is going to be any good, but some times shows take a little bit of time to hit their stride.  We just got through the episode where the serial killer gets released on a DNA lab technicality and that was probably the best episode so far.  Tom Selleck was brilliant casting for the police commissioner/head of the family.

I watch this with my wife but I cant stand Danny Reagan.