Denver Broncos (the new old browns) @ Cleveland Browns - Thursday, 10/21 - 6:20 Mountain

champ11

Problem is they’re going to fire Shurmur but they won’t change anything on the defensive side. I couldn’t even tell you what the name of our DC is because Fangio just calls it himself.

This team is broken on both sides of the ball. I won’t say Shurmur is a scapegoat as such because he DOES deserve to get fired, but the problems run much deeper than that and really nothing short of a total house cleaning (George Paton aside) will fix that.

I always hate bringing in a new GM and keeping the head coach because the GM will almost always want to hand pick his new HC after the first year anyway, but Vic Fangio is making the decision easy for George. 

I haven't been this embarrassed to be a Broncos fan since McDaniels got run out of town in 2010. Every human being who's fingerprints are on this dog sh*t excuse for a football team deserves to be fired immediately. These aren't my Denver Broncos, and I'm not watching this garbage anymore. Wake me up when we have an actual set of coaches and a group of players who act like they give a damn.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, broncosfan_101 said:

Could only watch the last 8 minutes or so, and now a pretty extensive highlight package, but Strnad stood out for the wrong reason a whole lot. Dang we miss our ILB’s. 

I think Strnad is the worst LB we’ve played since the late Shanny era. Just shockingly bad. 

Just now, 1234567 said:

I haven't been this embarrassed to be a Broncos fan since McDaniels got run out of town in 2010. Every human being who's fingerprints are on this dog sh*t excuse for a football team deserves to be fired immediately. These aren't my Denver Broncos, and I'm not watching this garbage anymore. Wake me up when we have an actual set of coaches and a group of players who act like they give a damn.  

Hear hear 

• Like 1

just so hard to watch we deserve better I remember watching something else for two min coming back to a 3 and out happened twice. Lock must be brutal to not be put in in this lost season . I mean checkdown Teddy is supposed to beat bad teams and lose to good ones. Browns minus starting qb and top two backs should be a w. 

I'm scouting qbs now for the draft all we need is a Mac Jones type guy we don't even need a franchise type guy. I'm gonna look at Sam Howell maybe reuniting him with Javonte makes Magic? that guy from liberty is also interesting pair him with Javonte the athletic backfield would be 10 xs more exciting than this garbage.

4 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I posted this in the Main Forum GD thread, but figured it belonged here (obviously #5 isn't such a revelation for the Forum here, but too lazy to re-edit lol):

Things to watch for:

1.  Can CLE's OL give help to the RT - Jedrick Wills is playing tonight at LT, that's huge.    But Conklin is likely out for RT.  That means CLE has to scheme help against Von Miller.   Miller's been effective, but double-teams and chips have silenced his production against the sad sack teams in Weeks 1-3.    It's a LOT easier to scheme help to 1 side, though, as @braylon pointed out in the Bets Thread. 

2. Can Keenum & Teddy B throw accurately in bad weather - they're not strong-armed guys.  Keenum was great in 2017 with Stefanski as his OC, but also played 10/16 games at home IIRC (also the 32nd toughest schedule against QB's, a top 10 OL, and a D that only allowed 17 pts per game, so didn't put pressure on the O to produce big points).      Teddy B has definite deep ball issues.    Both secondaries can be exploited in the intermediate-deep areas, but can the QB's manage with the weather?

3.  Watch the run game - I know, I know, Chubb & Hunt are out. D'Ernest Johnson is a SIGNIFICANT downgrade in RB talent.  But here's the thing - the CLE OL is still a great unit without Conklin in run blocking (and pass blocking outside the glaring Von - RT mismatch).    And DEN's run D is decimated with no ILB's there (both starters gone, and top 2 of 3 backups gone as well).    So I expect CLE to still have success running.  On the flip side, rookie RB Javonte Williams is going to be a star if he stays healthy.  Honestly, the coaching staff should be giving him 75 percent of the reps (MG3 is fine but he's not as good as Williams, it's not close).     The DEN OL is struggling in pass pro, but their run game remains effective.    Losing JOK for CLE will hurt.    

4.  Stefanski's management of Keenum vs. Fangio's terrible game management - in DEN, Keenum made at LEAST 4-5 boneheaded decisions/throws a game.   One of Stefanski's greatest achievements in MIN was to scheme the O to limit Keenum's bad decisions/throws.    Can he repeat tonight?   On the flip side, Vic Fangio is just a total disaster in game management - from clock / TO management, to challenges, to decisions on punting/going for it.    And DEN's ST's are a bottom 3 unit.   TO's and the intangibles like ST's and game management mean so much.

5. Players who could pop - D'Ernst Johnson & David Njoku & Donovan Peoples-Jones have the biggest mismatches now for CLE (Austin Hooper could steal snaps from Njoku, but I lean to the athletic mismatches).    On DEN's side, if he plays, Caden Sterns is an emerging presence as a hybrid disruptor in coverage and in run support/blitzing.  Javonte Williams would thrive if they let him take the load at RB.     If it's short passing, watch for Kendall Hinton & Tim Patrick who may surprise if the secondary tries to take Courtland Sutton away.

As for the game - I'm assuming Jarvis Landry & Jedrick Wills Jr. play.   Even if both RB's, Baker & OBJ are out - I think that's enough for CLE to win.  With decent Baker and both T's/Landry, I had this at something like 27-17 CLE.   Now I have it as a toss up - but I'll go 20-17 Browns.   

1.  For 1H, the CLE OL did a good job.   Miller leaving the game at the end of the 1H made it easier, but a good lesson in how good coaching can game plan for one problem at the OL (versus having both sides is a huge problem).

2.  Wind wasn't so bad.    Teddy's injuries and his limitations as a deep passer / non-gunslinger made him REALLY bad.   Keenum made 4 really bad decisions/throws (short ball that was INT'd OB, the lack of pocket awareness x2 should have been big sacks +/- strips, and crazy throw to Hooper with triple coverage) - but none of them hurt him.      Teddy's pick in the EZ hurt Denver; Keenum's mistakes didn't cost them.

3.  Cleveland dominated the run game, as predicted.   Javonte Williams was the better DEN RB, as predicted.

4.  Den's blocked FG was a huge turning point for them, kept them in the game.   Fangio actually made a correct challenge (so did Stefanski, but his challenge didn't translate to added pts, with Denver still scoring).   Still, Denver gaining in ST's helped a LOT.   One MAJOR bone to pick with Fangio - they took their time driving down 10 pts in the 4Q.   A HUGE reason why the Browns were able to drain the clock.  More subtle than teams are used to seeing, but a common theme for us.

5.  D'Ernest Johnson, my favorite 8U bet ever lol.   Easy money.   Javonte Williams showed a national crowd what he can do.     Please keep giving him 3/4 of the work.   

I went 20-17 Browns, 17-14 close enough.

58 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Interesting to see Dalton Risner standing up and talking to Teddy before every snap. I don't think I've ever noticed that before.

He's telling Teddy how long he can hold his own. Somewhere between 0-1.5 seconds.

Things can change but from the postgame pressers it doesn’t appear any changes are going to be coming anytime soon.

Listening to the radio and browsing Twitter, the initial response is “fire xxx” and I sympathize with that. But I don’t think anything is going to change in any way that will make a change until we have a new owner. 

I know he has some fans around here and I’m not saying he is the biggest problem or even close to it, but if the new owner wants a complete cleaning of house, I won’t shed a tear if Paton is thrown off the boat along with the rest of the FO, the whole coaching staff and 75% of the roster. 

3 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Things can change but from the postgame pressers it doesn’t appear any changes are going to be coming anytime soon.

Listening to the radio and browsing Twitter, the initial response is “fire xxx” and I sympathize with that. But I don’t think anything is going to change in any way that will make a change until we have a new owner. 

I know he has some fans around here and I’m not saying he is the biggest problem or even close to it, but if the new owner wants a complete cleaning of house, I won’t shed a tear if Paton is thrown off the boat along with the rest of the FO, the whole coaching staff and 75% of the roster. 

No credible GM candidate will come to Denver if they think the ownership is going to bail on a GM after year 1 when they haven't had a chance to even pick their own coaching staff.   That's a ridiculously reactionary take. 

Paton may succeed or fail, but he's going to be given a chance to pick his HC, and his QB.    He certainly didn't pass on QB this year with the understanding if this year failed, he wouldn't get a second chance.   Come on, it's not even close to rational thinking here.

Fangio, on the other hand - he's a dead man walking.   I'm only going to point out how hopelessly overmatched he is - in a game where we can't stop the run, he & Shurmur decide to drain the clock to march down the field, and drive with ZERO urgency.   Those 1.5-2 mins were crucial in the end.  Maybe CLE scores the TD regardless, but basically put the team in a zero-margin-for-error situation. 

And for those who wondered about a bad performance ending Shurmur's time - don't hold your breath yet.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

No credible GM candidate will come to Denver if they think the ownership is going to bail on a GM after year 1 when they haven't had a chance to even pick their own coaching staff.   That's a ridiculously reactionary take. 

Paton may succeed or fail, but he's going to be given a chance to pick his HC, and his QB.    He certainly didn't pass on QB this year with the understanding if this year failed, he wouldn't get a second chance.   Come on, it's no even close to rational thinking here.

Did anyone go to Carolina after their new owner cleaned house? The guy fired a two-time COY who was universally respected and scandal-free in season

There are 32 HC jobs and 32 (or fewer) GM jobs in the entire world. No one is passing one up if the opportunity is there and the price is right. 

EDIT - and for the record you arrogant prick, I was not calling for Patons removal. Read what I actually wrote.

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Did anyone go to Carolina after their new owner cleaned house? The guy fired a two-time COY who was universally respected and scandal-free in season

There are 32 HC jobs and 32 (or fewer) GM jobs in the entire world. No one is passing one up if the opportunity is there and the price is right. 

The GM there, Marty Hurney, had 3 years, not 1.  Terrible example, apples to oranges.   Actually, apples to rotten, dried out & inedible oranges.

Find an example of a team who fired a GM after 1 year - the only one I can remember was Cleveland....in the nadir of their joke years.

Edited by Broncofan