Is this the worst Browns regime?

everlong

No team has ever tanked as hard as the Browns currently are. That is a fact. Another fact is other teams have improved their rosters enough to be competitive without completely tanking. I understand the strategy, but I don't think it is the way to go in the NFL. The line between being bad/mediocre is almost non existent in this league, and the line from being mediocre/good is also very thin. What the Browns have done is make their team completely devoid of all talent outside of a few players who are all still young. That leaves you with no hope of being any good for at least 2-3 years, which is criminal in a league that is full of extremely quick turn arounds. Sure, there are teams that have been bad for a long time(Rams, Jags), but look at how those teams are playing now that they have a decent coach and years worth of talent buiding while never officially tanking.

This isn't to say that this type of rebuild can't work, but it is a route that I personally would never use due to the nature of the NFL compared to other leagues like the NBA.

I think it is pretty obvious they are tanking the season, with the knowledge that possibly 2 franchise QB's will be available in the 2018 draft, otherwise Kizer would have been benched permanently, a long time ago.

As for our FO, I just read an article that Wentz could possibly win the MVP award for leading the Eagles to a 7-1 season, but I guess our FO's metrics told them otherwise, so they passed on drafting him.

H...mmm, the worst GM in the history of the NFL was Matt Millen and although he managed an 0-16 season which got him finally fired, our FO has so far gone 1-23 on their way to a possible 1-31, something not even Matt Millen could accomplish and people want to give them 1 more season or even 2, so they can completely screw up the extra picks they have and leave the Browns up sh-t creek, for maybe the next decade. Unbelievable??? Even our incompetent owner is already trying desperately to replace them with Peyton. Man, this could turn into a 25 year rebuild!!!

there is a sense of coherency that is unusual for the Browns. 

They have been arrogant in their approach at times.  

We have more talent than last year. 

Also we don't have a QB, a WR or a good RB. Our WR's are at best serviceable. 

It is hard to score with that. 

4 minutes ago, mm6492 said:

The 'franchise' QB's they passed up would look like crap on that team. They at least have a plan and goal, unlike the past regimes. Whether it works or not, we shall see. But gotta give them another couple years. 

Sure, but it's really bad optics, if you know what I mean. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Sure, but it's really bad optics, if you know what I mean. 

You win a SB one of two ways. Finding a franchise QB and building around him OR amassing a super dominant historically great defense that will be really hot for one (maybe two years max) before fizzling out. The Browns are doing it backwards. They are trying to build the team and plug in the QB at the end.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

Analytics doesn't work in football. It's about building a team full of compliments. Not arbitrarily judgeing production based off how players played in other systems. It's not like baseball.

"You threw the ball well today!"

"I like the way you tackle hard."

"Your shoulder pads complement your physique."

Just now, incognito_man said:

"You threw the ball well today!"

"I like the way you tackle hard."

"Your shoulder pads complement your physique."

It's more this, in football you could run analytics on every player in the league and it won't hold up if you put different pieces and a different system around them. So you get a QB, find out what they are good at, get receivers who compliment what he's good at and mask his flaws. You build a scheme that emphasis that. When you arbitrarily collect talent based off a number value, you shoot yourself in the foot. It's not like baseball or basketball where players are independent enough to likely produce the same/similar outputs no matter where you input them. 

The Browns are collecting pieces and then praying they get a QB that might be good enough and fit within their system. 

4 minutes ago, lancerman said:

It's more this, in football you could run analytics on every player in the league and it won't hold up if you put different pieces and a different system around them. So you get a QB, find out what they are good at, get receivers who compliment what he's good at and mask his flaws. You build a scheme that emphasis that. When you arbitrarily collect talent based off a number value, you shoot yourself in the foot. It's not like baseball or basketball where players are independent enough to likely produce the same/similar outputs no matter where you input them. 

The Browns are collecting pieces and then praying they get a QB that might be good enough and fit within their system. 

You are clearly overly-simplifying analytics.

The main thing holding them back this year is their atrocious passing game. They've actually been pretty good on defense, although certainly inconsistent. But they've looked good even though they've had injuries to key players on defense, with key players like Garrett, Collins, Shelton, McCourty, etc. all missing time this year.

They just have an inaccurate rookie QB whose weapons mainly consists of receivers who can't catch and can't get any separation. Their best receiving options are a running back in Duke Johnson, a rookie tight end in Njoku, and Corey Coleman who's been injured for most of the season. Guys like Ricardo Louis and Rashard Higgins shouldn't be anything more than a team's fifth or sixth receiver, yet they get significant playing time for us.

As for the current regime... I have more faith in them then I've had in past ones. For the most part I have liked their strategy when it comes to the draft and free agency, with the exception of a few moves. We have a ton of cap space and draft picks to work with next year, but we'll have to wait and see if they hit on those picks and use that cap space wisely.

When it comes to QBs like Wentz and Watson... maybe they would succeed here, but I doubt it. I can't imagine either one being very productive with the crap we have at WR.

Archived