Week 7 GDT - Indianapolis Colts at San Francisco 49ers: The revenge of Jimmy G

J-ALL-DAY

On 10/23/2021 at 12:20 AM, Swift21 said:

Pretty much. This not the week to run the wide nine.

Ryans is proving himself to be a tactician. Weve got DL depth. Maybe he and kocerek come ready with a new front designed for the colts. Off the bye, anything is possible

I had read transcripts of Buckner's interview but had not heard the audio until tonight. Ooofff. Hearing the emotion made it so much worse. 

He clearly feels very spurned and I absolutely think that sent ripples through the organization on a personal level that the locker room may not have actually recovered from. That 2019 locker room was special and we traded one of the core pieces of that away. Its been a bumpy road from that point on. We havent won enough games. There have been tons of sloppy mistakes by most of the team. 

We traded Buck away with the idea we were going to get Tristan Wirfs, and honestly I wish we would have just taken him and had him play RG for a year before playing RT after McStinky walked. That was something this forum had talked about before anyone knew Joe Staley was going to retire. It made so much sense. Plugging in Trent Williams at LT should not have changed the equation that much. Our decision makers were too close to it and missed the big picture

This would be a completely different conversation if we had TWO TWs playing tackle for us. Trent Williams calls himself a silverback gorilla and Tristan Wirfs is cut from the same cloth. Kyle would have both sides of the field completely open. Right now the right side of our OL is doo doo and I think it limits what we can do. RTs are valuable too. 

If Kinlaw didnt have a bum knee predraft, then ok, sucks a talented guy got hurt. But when its a pre-existing injury? It stings. We made a choice -> No Joe Staley -> Best way to get a franchise LT is by trading Buck - should have just stuck with the plan. Kinlaw was always more risky.

I think the drama with Kinlaw earlier in the week about him saying that his knee is fine, which means the team basically sitting him against his will, makes perfect sense considering the weather conditions. Its already raining here. Hes 350lbs with a knee problem that will probably never go away but that hes young enough to play through. A rainy game is not the time to risk further injury. He is an important piece to the team. 

From that standpoint, its probably also good that Lance isnt playing this week given he has a knee injury. Shame this couldnt have been his first start. We could have used him in the power run game and also his arm/hand size will come in handy in a bad weather game. Would have been phenomenal experience for him considering its a mud bowl and no one would have lofty expectations for him. It would have been a very wet trial by fire

TLDR - Should have drafted Tristan Wirfs - Kinlaw sitting even though hes "healthy" is a step forward for our training staff - its a shame this isnt start #1 for Trey Lance

Demeco Ryans >>

PS - Good thing Alex Mack's butt has been prepping Jimmy for this rainy game, amirite? 

Edited by N4L