Week 8: Packers @ Cardinals on Thursday Night Football - Packers Win 24-21! Move to 7-1!

FAH1223

1 hour ago, ifeelasleep said:

yeah, they´re trying to pop and earn snaps on offense, its the skill player mindset. We werent chasing the game on the last minute like montgomery did, theres some leeway for your returners sometimes they will mess it up sometimes they ball out, i wasnt mad at his decision to return it. 

The injury could happen on any return, thats the physics of it, doesnt matter if it was a more "returnable ball" theres still guys coming full speed to hit the returner.

Absolutely cant be tackled by the first guy in this scenario if you decide to bring it out.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

I’d like someone to offer up some sort of reasonable explanation how the Jones TD was overturned.  Apart from there being some view we we’re not privy to, none of those views could possibly be seen as being “incontrovertible proof” that he was down short.

If not for Rasul, that would have been the most talked about play on here today, but now it’s just ignored. 

When I saw it live I didn't think the ball crossed the goal line before Jones landed on his rear tbh.  My beef with MLF there was not putting Dillon in there to ram it in.  The Cardinal defenders had a hard time getting him down all night long.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

God damn, I just watched it again, thinking maybe in the heat of the moment I had just hoped it into being unoverturnable.  But, nope, if anything the replays show that he was almost certainly in. He was almost completely prone when his butt touched down at the one foot line. He’s carrying the ball at least a foot higher than that, so easy TD call. 

It’s an embarrassingly bad call. 

Hmmm, I'll have to see if I can see another replay of that sometime...

15 hours ago, Les Punting said:

I agree, but his interpretation of this play is completely wrong, imo.

That wasn't some designed set up. Hopkins obviously expected that ball to be delivered in the vicinity of where he initially decelerated. The pressure by Keke? forced Murray to change the trajectory/location of the throw, from the intended flatter, back shoulder throw into a jump ball. 

Hopkins did nothing more than properly track the unexpected overthrow and run under it. I doubt there's any examples of Hopkins running a hitch/go that far down the field with the ball already in the air, like this guy is suggesting.

Stokes had good initial coverage and guessed rightfully where the ball was supposed to be delivered. Unfortunately, Hopkins picked up the overthrow and took his route further upfield at the exact moment Stokes turned his head to find the ball. It was a fluke play. All things considered, Stokes did OK.

The ball was released LONNNNNG before he did the hitch. It wasn't a designed route, it was an intentional setup by Hopkins WHILE he was properly tracking the ball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The ball was released LONNNNNG before he did the hitch. It wasn't a designed route, it was an intentional setup by Hopkins WHILE he was properly tracking the ball.

I've never seen a WR do that before. You can hardly blame Stokes, he was right there in position. Next step in his progression is to get his head turned around when the receiver does so he doesn't get baited like that again.

I'd be curious if teams don't try and incorporate what Hopkins did though. It was WR brilliance. I could definitely see Rodgers and Adams working on this next week. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, BAM said:

The Packers won the trifecta. Taking down the Cardinals, Zebras and the booth.

And all while shorthanded as well.  While this game had our share of mistakes in it, it still did a lot to boost our psychie.  Just feels like it's been forever since we could say the hero of the game came from the defense in a big game like this.

Admittedly for quite a while there once the Cards had gotten into FG range and OT seemed all but inevitable I was just like ohh man here we go again with the same old OT crap that happened in 2009 and 2015.  Whew was I ever both overjoyed and relieved at the same time.

Thank god we got a mini bye as well.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:30 AM, Old Guy said:

I've never seen a WR do that before. You can hardly blame Stokes, he was right there in position. Next step in his progression is to get his head turned around when the receiver does so he doesn't get baited like that again.

I'd be curious if teams don't try and incorporate what Hopkins did though. It was WR brilliance. I could definitely see Rodgers and Adams working on this next week. 

I see people do this in ultimate frisbee, where there is a LOT more hang time on the pass.  You need a perfect deep ball timing to get away with this, but from what I can tell, it's basically a WR decision to do it when he reads that he is being face guarded. 

So long as the deep ball has enough air under it, the receiver can try to do this any time they get that look

if the defender doesn't turn, receivers will often raise their arms and then make a break on the ball on dig routes.  This is an evolution of that play; doing it while the ball is in the air.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

I see people do this in ultimate frisbee, where there is a LOT more hang time on the pass.  You need a perfect deep ball timing to get away with this, but from what I can tell, it's basically a WR decision to do it when he reads that he is being face guarded. 

So long as the deep ball has enough air under it, the receiver can try to do this any time they get that look

if the defender doesn't turn, receivers will often raise their arms and then make a break on the ball on dig routes.  This is an evolution of that play; doing it while the ball is in the air.

I just want you to know that I'm using that ultimate frisbee line every time I see something in a game that I haven't seen before from now on lol

• Like 2

Just now, Norm said:

I just want you to know that I'm using that ultimate frisbee line every time I see something in a game that I haven't seen before from now on lol

lol.

I played a lot of ultimate in college, it's pretty fun.  Smaller guys would do this if they were being face guarded in the end zone. 

check out some of the YouTube highlights; they have some elite DIII level, borderline D 1 athletes now.

49 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

lol.

I played a lot of ultimate in college, it's pretty fun.  Smaller guys would do this if they were being face guarded in the end zone. 

check out some of the YouTube highlights; they have some elite DIII level, borderline D 1 athletes now.

maybe this is why I defaulted to thinking it was intentional as well. I play Ultimate too and see it there a lot

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

lol.

No I've done it and watched some higher level stuff before too. It's pretty cool. 

I just thought it was random, although not inaccurate, but made me laugh.

Reminds of the guy 10 years ago on some site arguing that the new gloves get too slippery when they're wet and when everyone disagreed, he's like "bro I play semi pro"

I still use that line. 

• Like 1