Week 8: Packers @ Cardinals on Thursday Night Football - Packers Win 24-21! Move to 7-1!

FAH1223

Yes, that play was amazing.  Hopkins is really good.  That was just a tremendous move.  Glad he wasn't playing every snap against us and playing healthy, if he had been that game might have flowed very differently.

Murray did a great thing on that pass by NOT throwing it to Hopkins in perfect stride.  If it had been thrown in perfect stride, Stokes was right on him and would have had him fully covered.  But by putting some air under it and "underthrowing" it, Murray gave Hopkins the chance to control the situation. 

I think Rodgers would be well served to follow that example more often on some deep balls.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Yes, that play was amazing.  Hopkins is really good.  That was just a tremendous move.  Glad he wasn't playing every snap against us and playing healthy, if he had been that game might have flowed very differently.

Murray did a great thing on that pass by NOT throwing it to Hopkins in perfect stride.  If it had been thrown in perfect stride, Stokes was right on him and would have had him fully covered.  But by putting some air under it and "underthrowing" it, Murray gave Hopkins the chance to control the situation. 

I think Rodgers would be well served to follow that example more often on some deep balls.  

That was a total "**** it d hop down there somewhere" throw by Kyler.

This **** wasnt that deep. Absolutely great play by DHop to find the ball and adjust to it. But theres no way he's throwing the hesi double move on purpose

2 hours ago, HokieHigh said:

Amari drifted up field on a crucial play into the flats, Troy broke it down pretty nicely why ARodg was frustrated. He shot a look over at MLF like this guy is in the wrong spot AGAIN. Low snap count, winfree out there doing his thing

Yeah, I thought it was fun that Amari got to be involved in a couple of good plays.  But then bummed that he messed up on that one, plus fumbled.  Just watching it, if Rodgers hadn't looked ticked, I wouldn't have even known Amari misplayed it.  Why hang out at the line of scrimmage if there was obvious open space a yard or two downfield?  But I guess if Rodgers is throwing to the spot instead of two the open man, it makes sense.  But yeah, some wasted opportunity for Amari to flash as a useful weapon.

Deguara, I thought it was fun that he got to do a couple of nice touches and gains.  And he was planned in for the goal-line play, too.  But Rodgers said that the play was well set up; but Deguara lined up wrong.  So, another case where a young guy screws up, that's what caused the crucial delay-of-game penalty.  

And those were two young guys who were supposedly drafted because they were supposed to be so smart and mature.  

I thought it was super fun that Winfrey caught a few.  But again, he had two crummy drops; and a fumble.  Plus Troy faulted him for making a nice catch a foot short of the 1st-down line.  I'm not sure I agreed with that.  Not sure if it was 2nd or 3rd down, but he made the catch super close to the line, and picked up like 8 yards on the catch; not sure I'd fault him for making a good catch.

But yeah, all three of those guys made some fun plays, but they each had some serious clunkers. 

EQ didn't have any clunkers, I didn't think?  But I thought it was interesting how he got used.  I thought he might get some "wide" receiver outside snaps, but I'm not sure he did.  Or if so, didn't get many/any targets from them.  Seems like he's mostly used in more H-back role, standing a yard or two back of the line, and kind of hanging out for a while.  Other than maybe the pass-interference play where Troy thought he was Cobb, was he ever used to get downfield or to get out in a route?  Usually just a hang-around and block or be a checkdown option, in most cases?  

I’d like someone to offer up some sort of reasonable explanation how the Jones TD was overturned.  Apart from there being some view we we’re not privy to, none of those views could possibly be seen as being “incontrovertible proof” that he was down short.

If not for Rasul, that would have been the most talked about play on here today, but now it’s just ignored. 

Edited by mikebpackfan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mikebpackfan said:

I’d like someone to offer up some sort of reasonable explanation how the Jones TD was overturned.  Apart from there being some view we we’re not privy to, none of those views could possibly be seen as being “incontrovertible proof” that he was down short.

If not for Rasul, that would have been the most talked about play on here today, but now it’s just ignored. 

(1) They saw a different angle than we saw on the tv copy

(2) corruption

I really can't think of another reason.

• Like 1

I'll be curious to see what MLF does with Tonyan's role.  Maybe Lazard just largely fills that?  As Lazard noted on Sunday, he's not formally a TE, but he functions a lot like a TE, and views himself as kind of an honorary TE. Maybe he could kinda do a lot of the stuff that Tonyan does?

Or maybe EQ, he's a big tall guy who's fairly strong.  Tonyan isn't a powerful chip blocker, so while EQ is probably a lot worse it's not like Tonyan's that great anyway.  Maybe EQ could almost do a lot of what Tonyan does?  

Or maybe Deguara?  Different game and frame than Tonyan, but maybe he can kinda take some of Tonyan's snaps and get used in his own way?  

Or maybe Dillon?  Not sure he's a very skillful blocker, but certainly he's strong and he's willing.  Perhaps he could take on some of Tonyan's snaps and roles, in his own way?  

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

(1) They saw a different angle than we saw on the tv copy

(2) corruption

I really can't think of another reason.

God damn, I just watched it again, thinking maybe in the heat of the moment I had just hoped it into being unoverturnable.  But, nope, if anything the replays show that he was almost certainly in. He was almost completely prone when his butt touched down at the one foot line. He’s carrying the ball at least a foot higher than that, so easy TD call. 

It’s an embarrassingly bad call. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, craig said:

I'll be curious to see what MLF does with Tonyan's role.  Maybe Lazard just largely fills that?  As Lazard noted on Sunday, he's not formally a TE, but he functions a lot like a TE, and views himself as kind of an honorary TE. Maybe he could kinda do a lot of the stuff that Tonyan does?

Or maybe EQ, he's a big tall guy who's fairly strong.  Tonyan isn't a powerful chip blocker, so while EQ is probably a lot worse it's not like Tonyan's that great anyway.  Maybe EQ could almost do a lot of what Tonyan does?  

Or maybe Deguara?  Different game and frame than Tonyan, but maybe he can kinda take some of Tonyan's snaps and get used in his own way?  

Or maybe Dillon?  Not sure he's a very skillful blocker, but certainly he's strong and he's willing.  Perhaps he could take on some of Tonyan's snaps and roles, in his own way?  

You know, perhaps that is why I am (and I assume most everyone else) is not too thrilled with EQ.  The role that Lazard plays is very important to the offense.  The only guy that can also do that is EQ, but it doesn't best fit his strengths.  Perhaps EQ is just playing kind of out of position.  Lazard and Tonyan are heavier than EQ, which probably helps blocking quite a bit.