Week 8: Packers @ Cardinals on Thursday Night Football - Packers Win 24-21! Move to 7-1!

FAH1223

3 hours ago, SBLIII said:

You can't really fault Stokes here.

That is what I saw on the tv replay.  Can't really fault Stokes.  Tip your hat to Hopkins.   Probably just a few. Wr are able to pull that off in live game action.

Probably 95+% CB get fooled on that play

56 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

I’d like someone to offer up some sort of reasonable explanation how the Jones TD was overturned.  Apart from there being some view we we’re not privy to, none of those views could possibly be seen as being “incontrovertible proof” that he was down short.

If not for Rasul, that would have been the most talked about play on here today, but now it’s just ignored. 

Ref is from Missouri 

@Norm, @ThatJerkDave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikebpackfan said:

I’d like someone to offer up some sort of reasonable explanation how the Jones TD was overturned.  Apart from there being some view we we’re not privy to, none of those views could possibly be seen as being “incontrovertible proof” that he was down short.

If not for Rasul, that would have been the most talked about play on here today, but now it’s just ignored. 

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

(1) They saw a different angle than we saw on the tv copy

(2) corruption

I really can't think of another reason.

Only possible explanation is they made an educated guess on where his upper body was as his butt came down. His butt was clearly short and the last time they could see him he was in a sitting position. 

I do not believe they are supposed to make, 'educated guesses' when it comes to replay. Live it looked like he was clearly in and it should have stood. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

That is what I saw on the tv replay.  Can't really fault Stokes.  Tip your hat to Hopkins.   Probably just a few. Wr are able to pull that off in live game action.

Probably 95+% CB get fooled on that play

Stokes is a rookie.  Hes playing against a top NFL WR, if not the best.  There are going to be growing pains.  That was one of them.  Expect more down the stretch, its a process, but he's done well.  Stokes is getting way too much heat IMO.

• Like 2

I think Stokes has been terrific.  

I hope they don't coach that out of him, actually! 

For most of this season, I've thought that Stokes covered guys really tightly, and the Hopkins play was no exception, Stokes was right on him till the awesome fake.  

But yesterday was the first time that I noticed Stokes playing a lot of soft stuff and giving big cushions.  

Beats me, maybe that's what Gray coaches him to do?  And maybe that's what Gray coached King to do last year?  Beats me.  I just hope they don't coach Stokes away from the confidence and the capacity to just cover guys tight.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Only possible explanation is they made an educated guess on where his upper body was as his butt came down. His butt was clearly short and the last time they could see him he was in a sitting position. 

I do not believe they are supposed to make, 'educated guesses' when it comes to replay. Live it looked like he was clearly in and it should have stood. 

I think this is exactly what happened, and as you said, it's total bull**** if they did because that falls extremely short of "indisputable evidence." 

• Like 3

The generous spot for Murray in the RZ and not even taking a second for someone upstairs to look at it for a measurement was more egregious than the TD reversal imo.  But they're both BS so we got jammed twice.  Glad we won so we don't have to dwell on further incompetency by officials.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

(1) They saw a different angle than we saw on the tv copy

(2) corruption

I really can't think of another reason.

I think the third would be that the 2 images that showed Jones on his butt were short of the line but the ball wasn't there. Maybe the ref more inclined to call it without seeing the visual evidence. Maybe anyway. For the most part they called a half decent game. It was ticky tacky, but we should have scored thereafter so that's on us too. 

4 hours ago, SBLIII said:

You can't really fault Stokes here.

I agree, but his interpretation of this play is completely wrong, imo.

That wasn't some designed set up. Hopkins obviously expected that ball to be delivered in the vicinity of where he initially decelerated. The pressure by Keke? forced Murray to change the trajectory/location of the throw, from the intended flatter, back shoulder throw into a jump ball. 

Hopkins did nothing more than properly track the unexpected overthrow and run under it. I doubt there's any examples of Hopkins running a hitch/go that far down the field with the ball already in the air, like this guy is suggesting.

Stokes had good initial coverage and guessed rightfully where the ball was supposed to be delivered. Unfortunately, Hopkins picked up the overthrow and took his route further upfield at the exact moment Stokes turned his head to find the ball. It was a fluke play. All things considered, Stokes did OK.

2 hours ago, craig said:

I'll be curious to see what MLF does with Tonyan's role.  Maybe Lazard just largely fills that?  As Lazard noted on Sunday, he's not formally a TE, but he functions a lot like a TE, and views himself as kind of an honorary TE. Maybe he could kinda do a lot of the stuff that Tonyan does?

Or maybe EQ, he's a big tall guy who's fairly strong.  Tonyan isn't a powerful chip blocker, so while EQ is probably a lot worse it's not like Tonyan's that great anyway.  Maybe EQ could almost do a lot of what Tonyan does?  

Or maybe Deguara?  Different game and frame than Tonyan, but maybe he can kinda take some of Tonyan's snaps and get used in his own way?  

Or maybe Dillon?  Not sure he's a very skillful blocker, but certainly he's strong and he's willing.  Perhaps he could take on some of Tonyan's snaps and roles, in his own way?  

I would believe Deguara would be next man up. Dafney will get some snaps he was playing well before his injury himself. Neither have Tonyan's height but both have shown good hands. Deguara is still just learning but he flashed on a couple plays last night some good hands and movement skills. Also flashed some memory issues. 

The injury to Hill is a shame.  Tough break for the kid.  

But man, what was he thinking?  He runs it out from 5 yards deep, and was smashed at like the 10 yard line.  Why isn't he downing one like that?  It makes zero sense to me.  Weird decision, with awful consequences.

Also kind of weird that he and the defender could both be running straight-line at each other.  Hill didn't have any moves to fake and freeze that guy or to dart around him.  Just a weird play.  

I think it's one of the problems with special teams.  If that's the only plays you get, and your only chance to catch some attention, maybe it's hard to just down it every time.  Maybe a guy doesn't feel tons of job fulfillment to down every kickoff, or fair-catch every punt.  

1 hour ago, craig said:

But man, what was he thinking?  He runs it out from 5 yards deep, and was smashed at like the 10 yard line.  Why isn't he downing one like that?  It makes zero sense to me.  Weird decision, with awful consequences.

Also kind of weird that he and the defender could both be running straight-line at each other.  Hill didn't have any moves to fake and freeze that guy or to dart around him.  Just a weird play.  

I think it's one of the problems with special teams.  If that's the only plays you get, and your only chance to catch some attention, maybe it's hard to just down it every time.  Maybe a guy doesn't feel tons of job fulfillment to down every kickoff, or fair-catch every punt.  

Hill was thinking the same thing Ty Montgomery was thinking.  Decided to be a hero when the clearly correct thing to do was take a knee.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

The generous spot for Murray in the RZ and not even taking a second for someone upstairs to look at it for a measurement was more egregious than the TD reversal imo.  But they're both BS so we got jammed twice.  Glad we won so we don't have to dwell on further incompetency by officials.

We'd be 5-3, or 4-4 depending on the luck in the Bengals game, if the refs had their way. Tried their damnedest to give the 49ers the game as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craig said:

yeah, they´re trying to pop and earn snaps on offense, its the skill player mindset. We werent chasing the game on the last minute like montgomery did, theres some leeway for your returners sometimes they will mess it up sometimes they ball out, i wasnt mad at his decision to return it. 

The injury could happen on any return, thats the physics of it, doesnt matter if it was a more "returnable ball" theres still guys coming full speed to hit the returner.

Edited by ifeelasleep