Week 8 General Discussion Thread

NYRaider

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm looking at the rules and I'm not sure I see any rule making it so. The ball hit a Bills player, went into the endzone, was recovered by a Bills player, then tackled.

It seems pretty damn obvious it should be a safety?

Touchback versus safety is a matter of where the ball was possessed, not touched. This came up in another game a week or two ago. If the player it hit in the field of play never possessed it, it doesn't matter for safety rules. So if it was only ever possessed in the end zone, it's a touchback.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I'm looking at the rules and I'm not sure I see any rule making it so. The ball hit a Bills player, went into the endzone, was recovered by a Bills player, then tackled.

It seems pretty damn obvious it should be a safety?

I'm not arguing, man.. I don't understand it either

In a real trainwreck of a game, that ruling could be massive

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

Touchback versus safety is a matter of where the ball was possessed, not touched. This came up in another game a week or two ago. If the player it hit in the field of play never possessed it, it doesn't matter for safety rules. So if it was only ever possessed in the end zone, it's a touchback.

So why is it a live ball on a muffed punt as if it were possessed then fumbled?

Seems inconsistent.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Seems inconsistent.

A kickoff is a live ball after 10 yards but is still a TB. Completely consistent. Live ball doesn't require the other team to have possessed it.

(I don't like it but it is consistent)

• Like 1

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Hey, I know the rules, doesn't mean I always know the why.

I would assume the live ball bit is more a matter of when they consider possession to have actually changed. Kind of like on a kickoff, which team has the ball effectively changes once the kick either goes 10+ yards, or the receiving team touches it. But it being a live ball doesn't mean the receiving team has possessed the ball, which is what impacts the whole touchback/safety thing. So like, here, once the receiving team touches it, it's a live ball, but no one on the receiving team has actually possessed it, so it can't be a safety.

I dunno, I'm sure there's some historical reason for it or something. Would suck if like a partially blocked punt became a safety if the ball still went far enough or something.

Just now, mse326 said:

A kickoff is a live ball after 10 yards but is still a TB. Completely consistent. Live ball doesn't require the other team to have possessed it.

(I don't like it but it is consistent)

This is basically a tl;dr for my response lol.