Calvin Ridley stepping away from football

naptownskinsfan

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

To be completely honest, no. That's a fair question. I would say, whatever it is they can always strive for improvement but you're dead on with the question, the answer of which I genuinely do not know.

If I was a betting man I would imagine it comes down to the individual franchises to create their own programs, which is good and bad

• Like 2

You'll never hear me criticize or knock an NFL player or anyone else for that matter for making a decision to do something in order to get into a good place mentally. And honestly, while it is the minority of those speaking on the subject or similar ones in the past, there is very little that makes me more sick or have less faith in the human race than when an athlete or celebrity says something similar and there are knuckleheads that want to give them hate, or act like just because someone is highly compensated or successful that they shouldn't be able to do what's best for their mental health or they act like because of where they are they don't have a good reason to be struggling with something like that. NFL player or not, Ridley is still a human being. And none of us get to choose our feelings. Nor do we ever truly know how much another person is struggling. I immediately think less of someone that wants to hate on someone saying they need to do something they feel is best for them especially when it should be glaringly obvious it's a decision that must have been incredibly difficult for Calvin to make. I have had a period of a really dark time in my life in the past, I have had friends that have as well, and it is something you have to make a priority to address or it will never get better, can often in fact get worse, and in the worst cases end in tragedy. I think we all can agree we would rather see Calvin never play another snap than have breaking news come out that something truly tragic has happened. 

I obviously have no idea what specifically is going on with Calvin, but it's obviously something serious and thus very important if he believes the best thing for him is to step away from the game he has loved almost his entire life and a game he has been among the most successful when looking at NFL careers as a whole. The truth is, it doesn't matter what the details are. If he believes this is what is best for him, than simply out of basic respect for another human being I am in his corner 100% and would be whether he was a great player for my favorite team or a division rival. Some things are just far bigger than football regardless of how much I truly love the game. 

Also I applaud him also for calling a spade a spade in terms of the reason. He didn't have to. He didn't owe anyone even the basic information he stated. He doesn't owe any of us an explanation, but in similar past examples of people in the public eye there is a cover story given (and I don't really have a problem with that). It takes some courage to tell the public you are stepping away in the prime of your career to get yourself in the right mental state. It's a situation that is no joke, is nothing to be ashamed of, that a lot of people go through, and is often extremely difficult to talk about. Him coming out and saying just what he said may help spark some other individual that is struggling with their own mental health problems to make a similar choice and get the help they need and deserve. Hell it may help save someone's life. You never know. 

Ridley is a phenomenal talent, and I hope that he is able to one day return to the NFL field and dominates once again because he is a fun player to watch. However only if it is the right thing for him. If not and he decides he just needs to do something else in his life I wish him absolutely nothing but the best. He's by all accounts a hard worker, he's obviously very talented, he's still very young, he should do whatever is best for his life and the people that he loves and that love him. Whatever it is, I am sure Ridley will have great success down the line. 

Get yourself in a good place Ridley, and I look forward to the day coming where you make it through to the other side of whatever is going on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I think we see a future where teams hire a mental health professional to their staff. No different than the training staff dealing with their physical health, teams will hire staff to help with the mental health and be better for it.

The first team to do that will probably start up a mini-dynasty run, IMO. It's similar to the first time a team leaned on a Data Scientist/Analytics department to crunch scenario probabilities - it starts as a novel idea, morphs into a competetive advantage, then it's copied across the league.

This is so good for him. Just sucks that real world people can’t do this, and they have to keep it pushing.. Hope he recovers, just goes to show that money doesn’t buy happiness. Stay blessed and love, hug and speak to your loved ones… Specially the silent ones that are always smiling! Those are the most broken ones. 

35 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

This is so good for him. Just sucks that real world people can’t do this, and they have to keep it pushing.. Hope he recovers, just goes to show that money doesn’t buy happiness. Stay blessed and love, hug and speak to your loved ones… Specially the silent ones that are always smiling! Those are the most broken ones. 

real world people can do this, its called FMLA and I have had workers utilize it for mental health reasons for good lengths of time. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

The first team to do that will probably start up a mini-dynasty run, IMO. It's similar to the first time a team leaned on a Data Scientist/Analytics department to crunch scenario probabilities - it starts as a novel idea, morphs into a competetive advantage, then it's copied across the league.

Exactly what I was thinking. Give your players a mental edge where they feel good, play good. Could transform a locker room and organization. As the mental health stigma wears off, this could be possible. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

real world people can do this, its called FMLA and I have had workers utilize it for mental health reasons for good lengths of time. 

yeah, FMLA is unpaid leave and Ridley will still be paid for his time missed. That's what @El Ramster is talking about, or at least I believe that's what he's talking about. There's millions of folks out there who need help but can't afford to take the time off of work to get that help. It's just the sad reality of the world we live in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

yeah, FMLA is unpaid leave and Ridley will still be paid for his time missed. That's what @El Ramster is talking about, or at least I believe that's what he's talking about. There's millions of folks out there who need help but can't afford to take the time off of work to get that help. It's just the sad reality of the world we live in.

FMLA is paid but ok

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

FMLA is paid but ok

The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave.

Opening line of the FMLA website. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fmla

I wish Ridley the best and respect his decision to step away to get right mentally. I also believe it is not something the average American can do at any time. Both can be true statements.