Calvin Ridley stepping away from football

naptownskinsfan

1 minute ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Yikes. Wonder what is going on with him.

Not faulting these players for doing whats best for them, but I do wonder if teams need to evaluate these player's mental health better before drafting them high.

No clue what is going on with Ridley but he seemed to have been fine at Bama and the last few years in the NFL. He seems off this year though with a lot of drops and sloppy play.

From a team perspective this isn't coming at a great time, but if he has personal issues he needs to do right by himself.

Best thing for Ridley and the Falcons right now honestly.  Ridley needs to worry about himself and his family 1st and foremost where as this also helps the Falcons by finding this out before we decided to give him a much bigger 2nd contract if we chose to do so.  I personally was already on board not wanting to give him a big 2nd contract and wanting to put that cap space elsewhere like at edge, CB, or Oline.  For me WR's are to easy to come by and replace and unless their a elite game changer like a Julio or Hopkins are/was then i can't see giving them 14+ a year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Yikes. Wonder what is going on with him.

Not faulting these players for doing whats best for them, but I do wonder if teams need to evaluate these player's mental health better before drafting them high.

Personally think this is an impossible metric to construct and evaluate? 

I think mental health issues can arise at anytime for anyone. Actually, I believe at our current times mental health awareness is stronger than it has ever been, and who knows what personal tragedies could have been avoided by past players if all players took this approach.  Wish Calvin Ridley the best and appreciate him being honest about his personal life with the public.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas
  • Like 3

Good for Ridley to address this now vs later on, when damage could be significant. Takes considerable courage to put this out there, where the trolls and naysayers will try to tear you down...

Do what's right for you, young man. Football ain't going anywhere, you'll be back.

• Like 2

Glazer had a good interview with Lane Johnson this week, go watch if you haven't. It's heart breaking for some of these players who deal with so much. 

These players are kids coming into the league and have expectations heaped upon them. With fantasy football and social media I can't imagine the noise these guys have to deal with. 

I think we see a future where teams hire a mental health professional to their staff. No different than the training staff dealing with their physical health, teams will hire staff to help with the mental health and be better for it.

• Like 2