Who is the better player: Trey Hendrickson or Marcus Davenport?

tyler735

Trey Hendrickson or Marcus Davenport?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better player?

• Trey Hendrickson
    • Marcus Davenport

From what I've seen, Davenport has the higher potential but it's just flashes and sporadic play right now whereas whenever I watch Hendrickson he's less flashy but very consistent and even with his stellar production just seems to always be under the radar. If Davenport ever puts it all together he'll be great but there's lots of guys who just never seem to and I feel like he may end up being one. 

• Like 3

Looking at potential it's very much Davenport for me. If you're looking at real world production it's clearly Hendrickson. Davenport is disruptive and causes problems for the offense whenever he's on the field, but his availability sucks. Hendrickson is less likely to do something that makes you go "WOW." with your jaw on the floor, but he's far more consistent.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:31 AM, Darbsk said:

From what I've seen, Davenport has the higher potential but it's just flashes and sporadic play right now whereas whenever I watch Hendrickson he's less flashy but very consistent and even with his stellar production just seems to always be under the radar. If Davenport ever puts it all together he'll be great but there's lots of guys who just never seem to and I feel like he may end up being one. 

This is a good assessment.

I think Davenport is already just as good if not better against the run than T-Rex. There's a reason he was the "base" DE (when healthy, anyways) and Hendrickson was the pass rush DE who was more situational and rotational, not that he didn't still see the field a lot. Not saying Hendrickson can't improve as a run defender, or that it's a glaring weakness or anything like that, just that Davenport showed up as a rookie looking decent against the run and has settled into "good run defender" territory in the last 10 games or so he's played.

If Davenport never gets it together as a consistent pass rusher, he'll stick around as a "general" DE for a while I bet. Not a high end pass rusher people shell out day 1 picks and tens of millions for, but a decent DE who finds work. He will likely never be worth what the Saints gave up for him vs what they could've got instead (Lamar Jackson is who we all KNEW we traded up for, Mayock talked about it for 5 minutes before the Davenport pick lol, there are obviously other good players we could've traded up for besides lamar too) but I wouldn't be surprised if he stays in work for being a good run defender and a strong and long body who can occasionally do something exciting to the opponents QB, due to his length and strength.

Hendrickson for me without much hesitation. Obviously health and staying on the field is important, but beyond that Hendrickson has become so consistent at being a disruptive pass rusher on a weekly basis. Seems he's always making impact plays.

• 1 month later...

Hendrickson continues to be an impact player each and every week for the Bengals. I believe he's had a sack in 11 straight games now and has 14 on the season. Happy to see he is getting some respect finally and was voted to the Pro Bowl. Still bummed the Saints didn't resign him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Hendrickson continues to be an impact player each and every week for the Bengals. I believe he's had a sack in 11 straight games now and has 14 on the season. Happy to see he is getting some respect finally and was voted to the Pro Bowl. Still bummed the Saints didn't resign him.

The majority of Cincinnati fans were super bummed letting Carl Lawson walk and "settling" for Hendrickson in FA. That sentiment has completely vanished. Hendrickson has been on fire.

• Like 2