Week 9 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

NFC being so bad on the bottom where we are only one game out of the playoffs is the worst thing to happen to this team...Shanny will keep on holding out hope for the team to turn it around and continue to stick with the veterans longer than he should. 

I really think Shanny wants to continue holding off as long as possible to play Lance so when he does play, he will play well where some of the heat will be taken off of him....He does not want Lance to struggle and look bad since Shanny will be questioned for that pick...But that is a terrible mindset to have as everyone knows Lance is raw and will have his fair share of growing pains. 

Watch the Rams/Titans game and then obviously our game, I just do not understand why these young coaches are so damn conservative. I was baffled at multiple decisions by both coaches and just how safe they wanted to play it. How do you punt down 17 inside the 40 yard line? How does McVay not got for it on 4th and goal inside the 5 down 18? How does he not go for it down 15 inside the 40 and instead kicks a FG that does absolutely nothing for the team? How does he punt on 4th and 1 by the 50 yard line? Like why are these two like this???? It's amazing how Shanny went for EVERY single 4th and short with Lance and yet with Jimmy, he hardly ever goes for it in those spots. Baffling. 

Yeah these offensive geniuses sometime outsmart their own self. 

*If I run this, the def might run this so nah this ain't gonna work*

Just run the damn play!

This right here is what I'm pointing to. When people say the team is poorly coached, they automatically assume it is all on the HC or the coordinators..No, the positional coaches are with the players more than any other coach. The good teams have very good positional coaches and it is clear that we clearly lack in that area. Sure the OC and DC are part of the issue, but the types of mistakes being made are on ALL the coaches. Like when Lenoir was making technique mistakes and did not play certain coverages correctly, that goes on the DB coach more than anyone else. 

But this is what happens when coordinators get head coaching gigs elsewhere. The staff gets depleted and you have to retool but no guarantee you will have a good replacement. 

• Like 5

Last March, when the 49ers sent three first-round picks and a third-rounder to the Miami Dolphins to land the No. 3 overall selection in the 2021 draft, it was obvious that Shanahan desperately sought a franchise quarterback. When he chose North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, a hyper-talented and glaringly intelligent player with a very limited body of work, Shanahan clearly was playing the long game.

A week into training camp, coaches believed Lance had grasped Shanahan’s intricate offense so quickly that they might be able to accelerate the plan and start him right away. Then he leveled off, lost confidence and clearly became a less appealing option than Garoppolo — who had his best training camp as a Niner, by far— though Shanahan and his assistants were excited about the prospect of using a “Trey Lance Package” to keep teams off balance.

https://www.ballysports.com/national/news/michael-silver-49ers-running-out-of-time-to-turn-it-around

Remember Wickersham's article that the coaching staff felt that Shanny's coaching had made Jimmy lose confidence? Well, looks like it somehow made Lance lose confidence a few weeks into camp L-O-L! 

42 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.ballysports.com/national/news/michael-silver-49ers-running-out-of-time-to-turn-it-around

Remember Wickersham's article that the coaching staff felt that Shanny's coaching had made Jimmy lose confidence? Well, looks like it somehow made Lance lose confidence a few weeks into camp L-O-L! 

That ain’t good 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This right here is what I'm pointing to. When people say the team is poorly coached, they automatically assume it is all on the HC or the coordinators..No, the positional coaches are with the players more than any other coach. The good teams have very good positional coaches and it is clear that we clearly lack in that area. Sure the OC and DC are part of the issue, but the types of mistakes being made are on ALL the coaches. Like when Lenoir was making technique mistakes and did not play certain coverages correctly, that goes on the DB coach more than anyone else. 

But this is what happens when coordinators get head coaching gigs elsewhere. The staff gets depleted and you have to retool but no guarantee you will have a good replacement. 

Totally agree, even though the OL looks just fine without Benton, maybe even better.

6 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

Feels like most of Jimmy's passes look like this.

There are a few of these going around showing how much Jimmy actually missed during this game. It's kind of crazy when you watch the telecast to think that he's playing well, then you watch the actual film on it and see how much he left on the table. There are few games which show the "he is what he is" moniker more than this one. It's the perfect encapsulation. He made a ton of really nice throws and managed the game, but never was able to really put his foot on the gas or push the ball either. He'll never be the reason you get somewhere. 

Here's another from Jack comparing the difference between Trey and Jimmy on the same play 

• Like 4

We have James Bettcher on staff and he's a former DC. I believe he's a "senior adviser" although he may have taken on more specific roles with Johnny Holland on medical leave. 

I wonder if Bettcher will have a more hands on role coordinating the defence going forward. He has 5 years of DC experience with the Cards & Giants. 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:

There are a few of these going around showing how much Jimmy actually missed during this game. It's kind of crazy when you watch the telecast to think that he's playing well, then you watch the actual film on it and see how much he left on the table. There are few games which show the "he is what he is" moniker more than this one. It's the perfect encapsulation. He made a ton of really nice throws and managed the game, but never was able to really put his foot on the gas or push the ball either. He'll never be the reason you get somewhere. 

You can see it in person way better. Its crazy to me how they broadcast football on TV. The fact they start wide to show you the formation and then zoom in on the QB when the ball is snapped, despite the fact the field of play is actually expanding, is crazy to me.

He misses these throws consistently, and he has done it for years. It is not going to change. He straight up doesnt see the field well

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Here's another from Jack comparing the difference between Trey and Jimmy on the same play 

I don’t know either way, just asking. But if you do the same and break down film on Brady or Kyler Murray or Patrick Mahomes or some of the other guys who are seen as great QBs right now, do you see the same thing? I don’t ever break down tape on other teams, but just watching some niner games I know I’ve said plenty of times we’re lucky the opposing QB didn’t see someone. I guess is there a stat on something like wide open missed receivers or something? I’m just guessing, but I think we could pull tape on any QB and show plays from every game where they didn’t see the open guy a couple times. 

To be clear, not saying Jimmy’s a good QB, but just wondering if we as fans dissected everyone like we do Jimmy, we might think they all suck.