Random Thoughts

dll2000

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Watching Buffalo play it looks like Edmunds is going to be best MLB in the league soon, maybe this season.  

Like I said before draft, big and fast and good is better than small and fast and good.  Still up in air at this point, but I am thinking winner is going to be Edmunds.  

I still like Roquan.  

I feel like Pace's MO has been to draft the Endmunds of the world and he changed that to get Roquan. The guy just can't get it right. I think we should have gotten Mike Mcglintoch (sp), the RT for the Niners. 

58 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Here's a random thought topic:

What does everyone here do for a living?

Enterprise sales for a software company. I travel almost every week for work, so this new all remote lifestyle is something very new. 

28 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

You live in Canada, right? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes. Winnipeg, about 2 hours north of Grand Forks.

We have been way ahead of this thing, luckily, and people are taking the lock down very seriously.

Downside. It is still minus temps and there is 2’ of snow still everywhere.

50 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I feel like Pace's MO has been to draft the Endmunds of the world and he changed that to get Roquan. The guy just can't get it right. I think we should have gotten Mike Mcglintoch (sp), the RT for the Niners. 

Roquan is going to be a really good player. I have no issue with the pick. After that strange thing vs MIN and then the London game, he was great.

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Strength: Bears still have an elite defense.

Eh - there have been a lot of changes since 2018 when they were elite. Looking at the starters I think they're an above-average unit, but the depth is worrying. The DL and secondary are particularly thin.

Edited by abstract_thought

14 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Eh - there have been a lot of changes since 2018 when they were elite. Looking at the starters I think they're an above-average unit, but the depth is worrying. The DL and secondary are particularly thin.

I have no worries about the defense. 

What they have lost is minimal compared to what they gained in Quinn. Amos, Meh. Prince, Meh. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Factory worker, so I'm "essential". Head guys have taken on tons of work and now they want us working even more OT. It's going to be a great time, but at least I have my job.

Hoping everyone stays safe and healthy. Don't forget to go outside and get some fresh air, just keep your distance.

WASH YOUR HANDS!!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I used to own a small computer business and work as a freelance computer analyst/cyber-security until Ryan Pace recently hired me to keep an eye on Windy for his own safety in the midst of the upcoming draft. 

• Like 3

On 3/23/2020 at 8:00 AM, dll2000 said:

In Foles we have kind of the most wide swing of results in a QB ever.  They said good Rex/bad Rex about Grossman, but Grossman didn’t swing nearly as wide as Foles.   Foles is both best ever and absolutely terrible and just mediocre.  Kinda crazy.

Said before, might as well say it again. If people are putting too much weight into Foles' crazy career--that's on them. Jeff Fisher is a dunderhead, and a destroyer of quarterbacks. Foles has had maybe the most ridiculous career ever--including the Jaguars bringing him back from injury when they didn't need to.

Does that mean I think he's a shoo-in for the Pro Bowl? No. But people need to realize that Pace wasn't crazy with the Foles signing. 

• Like 3

On 3/23/2020 at 8:00 AM, dll2000 said:

1) C. Patterson plays a much larger role in O than last year, but still not that big of one.

2) Our young guys who underperformed last year; Daniels, Smith, Nichols, have a bounce back year.  

3) Tolliver wins starting CB job opposite Fuller.  

4) TEs are Harris, Graham, Burton, Horstead and Holtz who doubles as FB so they keep 5.  

5) Shaheen plays a ton of preseason and how he does will determine if he makes the team.  

6) Bush wins SS job unless Bears draft a S in 2nd and maybe even then.  

7) Bars makes 53 and if Bears don’t draft an OL in 2nd, starts at least one game in regular season (on offense).

8) sad prediction:  Trevathan is hurt and out by game 9 and Miller hurts his shoulder again or is hampered by it.  

9) If Graham and Burton get hurt then Horstead gets U job and may keep it for foreseeable future.

10) Bears make playoffs.

Pre season for Bears will be about 100x more interesting this year as there will be many real position battles at stake unlike last year.

1) Probably an astute assessment. More time on the team means more packages for him.

2) Absolutely. 

3) Roberson does. Tolliver is in the mix, though. 

4) Yup. Horstead doubles as FB as well, however.

5) Shaheen gets hurt again, and is gone.

6) He wins it. They don't draft a safety in the second, either.

7) Bars is in. What next? We'll see. 

8) Nope. At least on Miller's end. But most likely both. That's a Nervous Nellie prediction, and won't happen. 

9) He may get it regardless.

10) Absolutely. 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

Pace is gambling on a lot of talented but ‘busted’ players.

1) Artie Burns 1st round bust.

2) Ifedi 1st round bust.

3) Mingo 1st round bust.

Mingo is older and you kind of know what your are getting.  Same with Graham.  I don’t think there will be any surprises with them.  You hope they can play within a range of what they did the year before and not get hurt.   

But Burns and Ifedi have an outside chance to surprise because they are still young.   A new place, a new coach, a new scheme.  Its not likely, but it could happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

2) Ifedi 1st round bust.

3) Mingo 1st round bust.

Mingo is older and you kind of know what your are getting.  Same with Graham.  I don’t think there will be any surprises with them.  You hope they can play within a range of what they did the year before and not get hurt.   

But Burns and Ifedi have an outside chance to surprise because they are still young.   A new place, a new coach, a new scheme.  Its not likely, but it could happen.

No GM gambles on players when he gives them 1 year deals so I wouldn't say he's gambling on these guys. If he gave them all sizable deals, that'd be one thing. He gave them all small & short contracts. Mingo isn't coming here to play a big role, he's coming here to primarily play ST. Burns may be cut in August depending on Roberson and/or Toliver's performance. Ifedi may end up being the starting RG but it's more likely he's a back-up there and a swing OT in the event of injury.

Edited by beardown3231

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

2) Ifedi 1st round bust.

3) Mingo 1st round bust.

Under the circumstances, this actually makes a bunch of sense to me. They need depth for sure, and every now and then there's a good story about busts that pull it out with a new team, makes sense to take a couple swings at that.  The only FA signing that still bugs me is Graham, the rest seem like either good players, or cheap players that might work out. 

Hope you're all doing OK in this, glad we have Nick Foles to talk about to stay busy! My business is racing boat parts, and to say it's slow is an understatement.  I do some commercial marine work which is still deemed necessary as they handle food and materials transport, but I have enough time I'm starting to think I could become "a master of coverages" before Mitch does.

If any of you do construction work or anything that involves protective gear, your local hospitals and first responders are going to need it.  If you have the N95 masks that's obvious, but they're also taking VOC respirators from you paint jockeys, plus gloves (even non sterile) and eye protection, tyvek suits and cleaning supplies. If you're in Chicago, your local CPS school is accepting donations for the local hospitals a the same place that they're giving out free lunches to CPS students. And I'm not one to advocate graft, but if you've got kids in CPS you are eligible to pick up a free lunch; if you don't need it there are tons of people in your neighborhoods who will; elderly and disabled people who can't/shouldn't go out, plus there are lots of kids in private schools that may need help too, we've been taking ours to a nearby family in that situation.  

And that's my example of topic drift today. Hang in there!

Edited by RunningVaccs
ROSEN
  • Like 2