49ers Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo

GW21

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I'm not sure I get this trade, but since you made it, you have to play Garoppolo.

EDIT: Once he's ready.

I'm not sure what's not to get. The FO wanted Garoppolo in the offseason. The Pats didn't want to trade him back then. Now, knowing that they would lose him to free agency, they wanted to get something for him. They called one team they knew wanted Garoppolo. So the trade happened. It's very simple, really.

But yeah, he has to play eventually. There's no hurry, though.

10 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I'm not sure what's not to get. The FO wanted Garoppolo in the offseason. The Pats didn't want to trade him back then. Now, knowing that they would lose him to free agency, they wanted to get something for him. They called one team they knew wanted Garoppolo. So the trade happened. It's very simple, really.

But yeah, he has to play eventually. There's no hurry, though.

There's a lot not to get. Why would you trade for an impending FA when you can just sign him this off-season? Further, why would you trade a 2nd round pick for an impending FA?

However, since you made the trade, you have to play him this year.

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

There's a lot not to get. Why would you trade for an impending FA when you can just sign him this off-season? Further, why would you trade a 2nd round pick for an impending FA?

However, since you made the trade, you have to play him this year.

We get his rights. We get the ability to franchise tag him. Therefore, we guarantee he plays in San Fran next year. If you're a free agent QB, is San Francisco your first destination? And if we sign him as a free agent, the one sure thing is that he'll get multiple years with guaranteed money. By trading, we get to test drive him for a year and a half (with the franchise tag), without really mortgaging our future.

Also, why trade for him... if he's Kyle and Co's highest rated available QB, why risk the Pats trading him to another team, and see that team extend him (or tag him), and settle for our second best option, which also could not be available? What if Jimmy is traded to Team X, Cousins re-signs in Washington, Best available Rookie QB is drafted right ahead of us, etc. Then we're down to perhaps our 4th option. So why not trade a 2nd rounder for Plan A? This is all hypothetical, yet all very plausible too.

3 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

We get his rights. We get the ability to franchise tag him. Therefore, we guarantee he plays in San Fran next year. If you're a free agent QB, is San Francisco your first destination? And if we sign him as a free agent, the one sure thing is that he'll get multiple years with guaranteed money. By trading, we get to test drive him for a year and a half (with the franchise tag), without really mortgaging our future.

Also, why trade for him... if he's Kyle and Co's highest rated available QB, why risk the Pats trading him to another team, and see that team extend him (or tag him), and settle for our second best option, which also could not be available? What if Jimmy is traded to Team X, Cousins re-signs in Washington, Best available Rookie QB is drafted right ahead of us, etc. Then we're down to perhaps our 4th option. So why not trade a 2nd rounder for Plan A? This is all hypothetical, yet all very plausible too.

If I'm Garoppolo, I threaten the team that they're going to have problems if they franchise me, and I try to force them to give me a three-year contract.

Regardless, I'd have taken my chances on signing Garoppolo after the year. Then again, I am sure I don't think of him as highly as the 49ers do (based on this trade).

He probably wouldn't have signed here and I'd bet the pats were fearful he would end up as a steeler. Which is probably the number one destination for FA qbs this offseason ..they have incredible talent at skill positions on offense and a defense that is shaping up again. 

Kyle said it best, we didn't know who would be available in the offseason and we don't know where exactly we will be drafting, but we do/did know that Jimmy was available so why not pull the trigger? He has a lot of qualities that you have to appreciate in a young qb. Plus as most have stated here, we will most likely trade down and get a similar pick back and essentially get garoppolo for free 

Or Lynch is preparing to stockpile picks so it’s a win win. If he impresses, you saved your first from having to draft a QB. Or you can franchise him and put him on the block and make a little trade profit and probably get a first round pick for him this offseason if the college QBs keep looking bad and maybe you still pick up Cousins. All it cost you in that case is this years portion of his contract to move up in the draft. 

Hello,

So I'm just curious why did this blockbuster of a trade come with the pretense that Jimmy could not get a long term deal or eventually be dealt? 

This morning ole Adam Schefter  wrote this: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21296578/san-francisco-49ers-not-sign-qb-jimmy-garoppolo-long-term-deal

Then I see this: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000871712/article/niners-want-jimmy-garoppolo-to-be-franchise-qb-not-17-savior

Can someone with more football knowledge break this down for me please?

2 hours ago, straighthate said:

Or Lynch is preparing to stockpile picks so it’s a win win. If he impresses, you saved your first from having to draft a QB. Or you can franchise him and put him on the block and make a little trade profit and probably get a first round pick for him this offseason if the college QBs keep looking bad and maybe you still pick up Cousins. All it cost you in that case is this years portion of his contract to move up in the draft. 

I'd be incredibly skeptical that the 49ers could get more in a Jimmy G trade than what they gave up.  Maybe slightly more (talking about a mid-to-late round pick at most) than they gave up, but nothing notable.  Any team that acquired him prior to the season or before the deadline has him locked into his rookie contract plus has the flexibility to franchise tag him in the offseason.  Any team that is acquiring him now would be getting him at franchise tag price.  Last year, that was over $21M.  That should go up a bit more this year, probably safe to project $22M.  That's over $21.5M more than he's making this year.  At this point, I'd imagine that most evaluators have a pretty good idea of what they have in the top QB prospects.

32 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd be incredibly skeptical that the 49ers could get more in a Jimmy G trade than what they gave up.  Maybe slightly more (talking about a mid-to-late round pick at most) than they gave up, but nothing notable.  Any team that acquired him prior to the season or before the deadline has him locked into his rookie contract plus has the flexibility to franchise tag him in the offseason.  Any team that is acquiring him now would be getting him at franchise tag price.  Last year, that was over $21M.  That should go up a bit more this year, probably safe to project $22M.  That's over $21.5M more than he's making this year.  At this point, I'd imagine that most evaluators have a pretty good idea of what they have in the top QB prospects.

I agree with @CWood21 on this one. I know that the report from Schefty said that we could look to deal him in the off season, but I find it hard to fathom any way in which his value really increases between now and then to make that likely. Honestly, I think he'll be bad in the limited time he has with us. Not through any fault of his own, but a lackluster offensive line, no weapons...really makes it hard to succeed for any quarterback. If he's good, it makes no sense to trade him because the team needs a quarterback - possibly the most important position in sports. I have to believe that the 49ers acquired him for the sole purpose of keeping him and making him the long term quarterback. Now, if he's not amenable to a long term deal with the 49ers (possible, we had no extension talks with him prior to the deal), I could see something happening, but again, that's what the tag is for so that we can keep him a full season and get a full on evaluation. Honestly, the most likely way that he's not on the roster for next season is that he's so very bad in his limited time here that we decide he's not going to be the quarterback moving forward and we want to cut bait with him asap and just lose the second and get right into the full on quarterback search. 

Another aspect of this situation is that being that we won't draft a QB early is that we could possibly trade our 1st round pick down to  around picks 5-8 to gain another 2nd round pick.  It would be nice to get an OT and a CB with those picks.  Huge needs.

12 hours ago, jrry32 said:

If I'm Garoppolo, I threaten the team that they're going to have problems if they franchise me, and I try to force them to give me a three-year contract.

Regardless, I'd have taken my chances on signing Garoppolo after the year. Then again, I am sure I don't think of him as highly as the 49ers do (based on this trade).

That's the context, though. Our staff thought highly enough of him last offseason to call the Pats regarding a trade. Shanahan himself has said he liked Garoppolo when he came out in the draft. So, whether you personally like him or not, the context is that our staff liked him. 

What ground does Garoppolo have to threaten anyone? Has he performed at such a high level that he would be angry at being paid 22m guaranteed for 2018? If he signs a 3 year deal, how can he possibly argue he deserves even just 20m a year? At best, he can look at a Mike Glennon type contract, i.e 15m per year, with 18m total in guarantees. If he signs the franchise tag, he gets 22m guaranteed, and then he has a year to prove he is worth more than Glennon, and maybe get more than 22m per year as a result. I simply do not see how it can possibly in his own interest to threaten the team and not sign his franchise tag. Cousins will probably sign a 100m+ contract, but he's a multi year starter with high production. Garoppolo has played a game and a half in his career. How does he get the big contract? How does he get guaranteed money? The franchise tag is actually the best thing for him, in my opinion. And who knows... maybe he does sign an extension. Our biggest selling point for him is the relationship he can develop with Kyle Shanahan over the next 9 weeks. Maybe after a few weeks, it will become evident to him that his best hope for success is Kyle. Maybe to an outsider, that's a little delusional, but for us niners fans, that's pretty much our greatest hope. We hope Kyle Shanahan is the answer, and if he is the answer for us fans, then he is the answer for any young developping QB hoping to break out. Now it's Kyle's job to convince Garoppolo it is the case, and our job as fans to hope Kyle and the staff are right.

• 1 month later...

Archived